I highly recommend avatar to anyone who primarily plays a ranger. Lot of guild themes covered in that movie in a different setting.

Not to mention that I thought it was really well done. Definitely worth seeing in 3D.

-pete
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 08:31 AM CST
While I also enjoyed the movie I really dont see how it had anything to do with Rangers. The hair thing was gross and the fact that they did it so often made me question the sanitation involved in the process. I mean, basicly you have brain stem tentacles hanging out next to greasy hair and then you fuse them with some random animal... Ick.

Alexii points at a Velakan slaver and shouts, "Another one! Don't let it get away!"
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 09:53 AM CST
<< While I also enjoyed the movie I really dont see how it had anything to do with Rangers.

Are you joking, or being contrary?

The comparison of the Na'vi to the idea of a ranger guild are obvious.
> guardians of nature
> skilled archers
> bonds with animals
> hot-looking blue-skinned chicks that can spank you silly

Oh wait, that last one is not like the other things. It's my personal vision of the ranger guild, sorry.

(Yes I am bored with Sunday morning time on my hands, arguing a point like this, working through my day-after-Christmas letdown.)

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 10:56 AM CST
In a very generic native-tribal way, sure.

Rangers in the spotlight, nah.

Alexii points at a Velakan slaver and shouts, "Another one! Don't let it get away!"
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 11:29 AM CST
Either way, Ranger or no Ranger, I personally want everybody to go see it. Yes yes.

I've already watched it 3 times myself.
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 12:20 PM CST
That's why I said themes, not that it was a movie about rangers.

But regardless... I highly recommend it.

-pete
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 02:09 PM CST
Avatar is a generic noble savage story. If you enjoyed it, you might want to pick up FernGully or Dances with Wolves, which were earlier and slightly more original takes on the subject matter.

It has pretty SFX and, if that is your thing, go for it. For people interested in plot, the only thing Avatar brings is another testament that science fiction is still dead in the water.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 02:36 PM CST
Heh...ouch. Harsh critic, Armifer!

Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Ragran's pockets and carefully grab a platinum.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 02:57 PM CST
This is not a harsh, artsy criticism on some abstract idea of Plot and Film here. I mean it very literally: if you have even a basic awareness of pop culture, you have seen this story before. Avatar has no special creativity or novel insight to give you, and it's a damn shame that this is the template for a blockbuster.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 03:11 PM CST
If your criticism is that it follows similar motifs in the Heroes Quest story, I have to disagree that it's unoriginal. I'm sure you've seen this;
http://www.saynotocrack.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/61074_harrypotterstarwars.jpg
And you can do that with virtually every hero from Odysseus through Batman. Yes, Avatar bore striking similarity in story to Fern Gully, Dances with Wolves, Dune, Last Samurai, etc, but it brings new elements in the form of not being 'human vs. alien (white man vs. native american), or nature vs. earth rape.

I really enjoyed avatar; the plot parallels were obvious, but the visuals and messages were geared to adults instead of being a fairy tale for kids (which is also fine)

I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 03:16 PM CST
Also, the Na'vi were slightly how I view my Nomad when he has Veiled Identity up... PLEEEEEAAAASE can we get items that can be woven into sufficiently long hair?

I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 03:17 PM CST
>This is not a harsh, artsy criticism on some abstract idea of Plot and Film here. I mean it very literally: if you have even a basic awareness of pop culture, you have seen this story before. Avatar has no special creativity or novel insight to give you, and it's a damn shame that this is the template for a blockbuster.

While I know what you mean, the same can be said for many of the archetypal stories in the human experience. There's a reason these same set of plots are so effective.

I guess for my part, I went into this not expecting much in the lines of plot beyond "Dances with Wolves" in space.

The "special creativity" in this film is bringing CGI to a level of realism and immersion that I haven't seen before and using 3D not as a gimmick, but as a matter of fact element of presentation.

-pete
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 03:45 PM CST
I just watched Ferngully a few months ago, actually, and sure they're incredibly similar but what's wrong with that? Nobody said anything about a completely oh-em-gee brand new never before seen plot. But it's a very very basic story that's not new by any sense of the word and probably dates back hundreds of years put into a new form. With breathtaking visuals and an incredible new life[The Na'vi] that you just want to take the time to explore and learn about.

There is a lot of depth to this world and this race and even the White people that you just want to know more about.

And I don't think I've seen any "nature > machine" story with a sci-fi twist to it. And the character development...don't get me started on the character development.

I don't think this is in any way shape or form a movie you want to miss.

>>If your criticism is that it follows similar motifs in the Heroes Quest story, I have to disagree that it's unoriginal.

Quoted For Emphasis
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 04:00 PM CST
Yeah the story was rather flat, the effects were wild, the theme pretty generic, and thats about it. Great visual movie, but after watching it again I was just really bored.

Kevin Costner is my mortal enemy.

and...

LOL Amifer said Fern Gully. I can't beleive you went there. Major burn there guys.

Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 04:09 PM CST
Just because a plot line has been done before doesn't mean it's a bad one. Romeo and Juliet is basically the same as Ovid's Pyramus and Thisbe from Metamorphoses. I don't think you'd say that Romeo and Juliet isn't a great play because the story had been done before.
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 04:10 PM CST
/blink

Did someone just compare James Cameron to Shakespeare...?

-Evran

* Prophet Hotoke Fuku-Nyorai snuck out of the shadow he was hiding in.
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 04:13 PM CST
Yes, because the story of the Heroes quest is something that isn't original. Batman and Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter and Hamlet and Paul Atreidies and Cloud Strife and Odysseus and all have similar themes in their quests. Avatar was particularly unoriginal in it's subject matter, but not it's execution.

Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 04:15 PM CST
Also, it had thin half naked blue chicks/ripped tall thin half naked blue dudes riding six legged tiger monsters and pterodactyls.
what else do you want in a film?!?!

Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 04:39 PM CST
<< DR-Armifer: This is not a harsh, artsy criticism on some abstract idea of Plot and Film here. I mean it very literally: if you have even a basic awareness of pop culture, you have seen this story before. Avatar has no special creativity or novel insight to give you, and it's a damn shame that this is the template for a blockbuster.

Bless your cultural and intellectual superiority.

Oh my god your bowel movements must be incredibly compact and difficult to pass.

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 04:54 PM CST
I mean, he's right, and not being elitist. I just disagree that it's particularly problematic in a story of this genre.

You think the Wakowski brothers invented the notion of the Matrix? That Terminator invented the notion of AI take over? That Aliens were the first parasitic aliens?

Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 05:08 PM CST
For me a movie has to be good each time I watch it. Aliens did this, so did the book for that matter, but Avatar did not do it for me.

Its not about having an orginal story so much as it is having an orignal approach. Really, it just seems cut/paste from High School U.S. History + blue man group. Not even gonna bother giving it a 3rd try.

Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 05:15 PM CST
>>Bless your cultural and intellectual superiority.
>>Oh my god your bowel movements must be incredibly compact and difficult to pass.

We could have had a discussion about fiction, but you want to talk about taking a dump.

-Armifer
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 05:20 PM CST
>>Its not about having an orginal story so much as it is having an orignal approach. Really, it just seems cut/paste from High School U.S. History + blue man group. Not even gonna bother giving it a 3rd try.

The point is every movie, even Aliens, is borrowing elements from many MANY pieces of literature. Did you like the Matrix? Go read some Gibson. Did you like Star Wars? Go check out Kurosawa.

Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 05:23 PM CST
I don't disagree with the assessment of the plot. The elements of the story are not charting new waters.

I recently had a large disagreement with another person who takes a view contrary to the popular view simply to be, contrary. This person seems to feel that they somehow elevate themselves above us common peons by automatically disliking anything liked by the majority. Which to me, makes them a bigger slave to pop culture than the people who follow the trend. The way Armifer presents his criticism reminds me of this argument and rubbed me the wrong way.

Something is good or not good, regardless of how many people jump on the bandwagon.

A familiar story executed with technical excellence is still that... executed with technical excellence. This movie breaks new ground in expressing emotion through CGI, in a way that has not been there before. By a number of measures Avatar is visually stunning. It is notable for what it makes possible now. I have hated CGI performances in anything other than Disney/Pixar cartoons, and possibly Golum in LOTR. This is the first movie in my opinion, where CGI can actualy compete with human performance, for good or ill.

And template for a blockbuster? What the heck does that mean? What else would a blockbuster be, other than something that appeals to a large audience? How is this film any less of a "blockbuster" than any previous blockbuster? What exactly is the right template for a blockbuster?

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 05:28 PM CST
>>The way Armifer presents his criticism reminds me of this argument and rubbed me the wrong way.

And the way you present your counterargument undermines any credibility you can claim. If you're the alternative, I'm happy to be called an elitist.

Enjoy the rest of the thread.

-Armifer
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 05:29 PM CST
>>Bless your cultural and intellectual superiority.
>>Oh my god your bowel movements must be incredibly compact and difficult to pass.

>> We could have had a discussion about fiction, but you want to talk about taking a dump.

If you say so. I'll trust your superior intellect.

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 05:34 PM CST
<<armifer/bahb snarkiness

I'm sensing that some people may not have got what they wanted for Christmas...

-Evran

* Prophet Hotoke Fuku-Nyorai snuck out of the shadow he was hiding in.
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 05:35 PM CST
<< Armifer...

I'm willing to withdraw or ammend my kneejerk response. I am curious now.

Would you be willing to move this over to Life Outside of DR and continue? I would rather there than conflicts.

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 05:36 PM CST
Saw it. Liked it. Didn't get any kind of ranger connection at all. Heard from someone who saw it and hated it because it was a sci fi espose' on the previous presidential administration... ummm.. what? Ya, they hated it because of all the political overtones. I didn't see those either.

The story is not new. The theme is not new. This is no surprise. Hollywood has been completely unoriginal for quite some time now. Let's do superhero movies and their sequels. Let's do Star Trek movies using the original cast members from the series and when they die off, let's do Star Trek over again from the beginning.

There are blockbuster movies based on books... Twilight, LOTR, Harry Potter, etc, but in all cases, the books are better. I'm not sure when the last original screenplay was written that turned out well, but Hollywood has gone for the quick and easy movie that's going to make them money. Bleh, I don't need to pay 12 bux per ticket to see something that I can read for less while enjoying it more.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 05:58 PM CST
Don't see Avatar for the plot. It's nothing new. It doesn't pretend to be new.

Is it pretty? Sure. But even that's hard for me to judge as I'd avoided all the new 3D stuff everyone is doing these days until this. When I saw the previews for other movies in 3D I was worried that I was going to have a headache 5 minutes into the film, but overall it was well done. It only occasionally jumped out and screamed "I'm in 3D" and at least all the CG'ed parts looked good in it (Some of the real life people looked a little odd). So overall... sure. It's pretty. But nothing new.

Honestly I'm inclined to throw it in the same pile as The Matrix. Which is to say ground breaking technical effects that were REALLY pretty, and I was a big Matrix fan when it came out, but even discounting the sequels (Tangent, the best review of the third one remains "A two hour live action episode of Dragon Ball Z guest starring Jesus!) I tried to watch it again awhile back and it's aged... really really poorly. It changed the way special effects were done, but in and of itself, isn't that great of a movie.

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 06:30 PM CST
I enjoyed Avatar. I would see it again. I saw the Matrix once in the theaters, and bits and pieces of reruns on TBS or whatever. I haven't seen any of the Matrix sequels because I didn't like the first one enough to bother.

<<DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG. >>

You flat out, absolutely, 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

Solomon
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 08:53 PM CST
I started an Avatar thread over in Outside Elanthia - Tunes, Tomes, and Trash, rather than here, if there's any interest left.

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Avatar 12/27/2009 10:39 PM CST
I see the thread is done, but I would like to get this in.

Armifer,

I apologize for displacing some anger from an unrelated situation on you, for not counting to 10 before posting, and for the discourtesy of the flippant posts.

Now I am seriously asking if you would expand on your earlier criticisms, using the thread over in the other folder. If you had nothing further to say, fine, but if you were actually going to discuss further, please go on.

~Brian/Bahb