Tentative New Racing Date/Time 07/29/2009 01:28 PM CDT
Now, very tentatively, Audacia and I are discussing the next race to be held on the 19th of September.

Yes, I realize this is a Saturday, and some of you have said in the past that Saturday is not good for you. But, due to some RL conflicts, neither Audacia nor I will be available on the 20th (Sunday.)

Time has yet to be determined, and the date itself is written in mud.

Y'all, gimme your inputs.

Afternoon? Evening? I'm going to do my damnedest to make this work for as many people as possible. Please remember, however, that I'm on Eastern Time. So something in the evening for you pacific timezone folks...won't work for me.

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Tentative New Racing Date/Time 07/29/2009 01:56 PM CDT
Saturdays are better than sundays for me. Are you going to be revising the rules and will you be looking for input on those?

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Tolle says, "Yup yup, 'bout time. What the heck took you so long?"
Re: Tentative New Racing Date/Time 07/29/2009 02:20 PM CDT
Actually looking at a complete re-vamp of the rules system, including possibly letting the racers loose in waves to better keep track of who's who etc.

Lotta things worked last time, lotta things didn't. Gonna be taking inputs on rules etc when the time gets nearer.

Always open to suggestions and ideas though.

As always, I be reached via my play.net, or my AIM at RangerRantjur.

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Tentative New Racing Date/Time 07/29/2009 04:44 PM CDT
If more people prefer the evening/night time... I'll run it

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: Tentative New Racing Date/Time 07/29/2009 08:29 PM CDT
Well, since I have a new to me computer (thanks to a very generous fellow) and it has wifi! I can just about run the race at anytime actually.

But I wanted to make a suggestion....when we are asked to skin something, can we get a couple of substitutes, like "Bring me back a Pard hide, Garg hide or Troll skin" kind of thing? See I'm awful in LE (but I will be training it) and so was wondering.

Also, can we get it straight if stealing is or isn't allowed. I really wanted to steal a bow and arrows.

Just a thought, and I thought it was great, even though I was the last and missed all the alterer fun. Perhaps we can have a little merchant or 2 come too?

Zinaca (Lucky is not letting me live it down that he finished the race WAAAAY before me and then took a nap)
Re: Tentative New Racing Date/Time 07/29/2009 09:19 PM CDT
you can brawl without equipment too.
Re: Tentative New Racing Date/Time 07/30/2009 09:10 AM CDT
> Also, can we get it straight if stealing is or isn't allowed

Why in the world would it not be allowed? It's a survival skill isn't it?

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Tentative New Racing Date/Time 07/31/2009 12:49 AM CDT
Why in the world would it not be allowed? It's a survival skill isn't it?

Last I checked we aren't thieves. If a Ranger has to steal it, you're doing it wrong
Re: Tentative New Racing Date/Time 07/31/2009 10:28 AM CDT
> And Hanryu, the question about stealing wasn't so much the 'can we steal items from the shops and use them' sort, so much as the 'is it ok to steal other racers' coin so they can't ride the ferry?'

Understood. I think in the spirit of competition, other runners (maybe even bystanders) should be off limits, but shops should be fair game.

> Last I checked we aren't thieves. If a Ranger has to steal it, you're doing it wrong

You do know we can circle off stealing now right? If your ranger wants to stick his head in the sand and ignore a skill in his primary skill set, that's fine and dandy, but don't force that outdated and crippling mentality on other members of the guild. I'm not trying to tell you what survival skills you have to use, please don't try to tell me what survival skills I can*'*t use.

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Tentative New Racing Date/Time 07/31/2009 10:53 AM CDT
<<<If a Ranger has to steal it, you're doing it wrong >>>

If you choose not to steal, you are the one doing it wrong.

Asterid

Also, please remember to watch the conflicts ~Sidatura
Re: Tentative New Racing Date/Time 07/31/2009 01:11 PM CDT
Kind of my thinking as well, Hanryu, but I've yet to make an 'official' decision, so to speak.

And Bramoir, I had considered that option. You know, it would be alot easier if I could just set a couple dozen bundles of feather flights (at, say, 100 flights/package) on the ground for the racers to use...hint hint hint.

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Tentative New Racing Date/Time 07/31/2009 03:06 PM CDT
What's to say the "gift" couldn't be a fletching pouch with necessary goodies in it?

Hmm... Hmm... Think about it... there we go.

Bramoir
Re: Tentative New Racing Date/Time 07/31/2009 03:42 PM CDT
But if I did that, I couldn't have thinly veiled requests for new Rangerly items.

Or perhaps, the bundles of flights could be given out for the first time at the race?

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Tentative New Racing Date/Time 07/31/2009 05:52 PM CDT
What will you do about the rangers who haven't achieved sufficient skill to make bows or arrows? Granted we only had one youngling this time, but good PR should get us a few more the next run.

Also, how about crates to put our stuff in that can get transported to the end location? Not all of us have alts to hold our gear, and then there's the junk room issue if something dire happens. Could be like a jail sack, tied up?

Master Craftsman Thryntyrlz BagMaker steps out from under Caelfind's road-worn traveler's cloak.

Tvini gets a Nilerbone brain from inside her canvas sack.
Tvini pokes her Nilerbone brain.
Nilerbone sneezes!
Re: Tentative New Racing Date/Time 07/31/2009 07:06 PM CDT
<<You do know we can circle off stealing now right? If your ranger wants to stick his head in the sand and ignore a skill in his primary skill set, that's fine and dandy, but don't force that outdated and crippling mentality on other members of the guild. I'm not trying to tell you what survival skills you have to use, please don't try to tell me what survival skills I can't use.

Are we still talking about the race or did we move on to circling in general now?

Survivals are survivals and if you're only interested in the 1s and 0s that advance your character than you should maximize it to the fullest.
Re: Tentative New Racing Date/Time 07/31/2009 07:15 PM CDT
Are you talking about Rangers in general or the race? My comment was in reference to the race.

But if we are talking about Rangers in general then I disagree. You train it because it's there and it's something the game allows you to do. And that's fine if you want to look at the game strictly by stats and code.

I choose to play the game, and by doing so my character decided that joining the Ranger guild was better for him than joining the Thieves guild. If I wanted to be a criminal I went to the wrong guild.

So you can tell me that I'm wrong because I'm not squeezing every possible TDP I can get from this game. And that's fine, I respect your opinion.
Re: Tentative New Racing Date/Time 07/31/2009 10:08 PM CDT
> Are you talking about Rangers in general or the race?

I'm talking about both. The Ranger race should test and showcase what rangers are best at, survivals. I respect that your ranger does not train stealing, that give him time to spend training something else. It is arrogant and dismissive however to say that if my ranger spends time training a survival skill and wants to use it in a Ranger event he's "doing it wrong".

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Tentative New Racing Date/Time 07/31/2009 10:14 PM CDT
<<I'm talking about both. The Ranger race should test and showcase what rangers are best at, survivals. I respect that your ranger does not train stealing, that give him time to spend training something else. It is arrogant and dismissive however to say that if my ranger spends time training a survival skill and wants to use it in a Ranger event he's "doing it wrong".

Especially since its conceivable that stealing will be opened up to other things. Creature stealing for example might be considered more 'rangerly'. I've always liked the idea of using stealing to snatch an egg from a nest for food. I don't see how stealing is any less rangerly than any other survival.

- George, Player of Foresee
Re: Tentative New Racing Date/Time 08/01/2009 10:02 AM CDT
>Also, how about crates to put our stuff in that can get transported to the end location? Not all of us have alts to hold our gear, and then there's the junk room issue if something dire happens. Could be like a jail sack, tied up?

go get arrested

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: Tentative New Racing Date/Time 08/01/2009 09:24 PM CDT
hahahaha Don't make me say you have a good idea.

Master Craftsman Thryntyrlz BagMaker steps out from under Caelfind's road-worn traveler's cloak.

Tvini gets a Nilerbone brain from inside her canvas sack.
Tvini pokes her Nilerbone brain.
Nilerbone sneezes!
Re: Tentative New Racing Date/Time 08/04/2009 04:59 PM CDT
Thanks for the clarification of stealing....but I'm sure I head at the rules of the race, that no stealing of any kind was allowed. But yeah, next time I will be stealing arrows if I can't find the stuff to make my own. Kartais and everything else, watch out! ::cackles and goes back to target practice...."Ok Lucky move that target back another 20 feet"::

Zinaca (sometimes Lucky does things for treats--currently an old set of moccs)