Naked Race Ideas (please read!) 06/01/2009 11:03 PM CDT
Alright guys, here's the deal:

I'm working on the alterations for some of the prizes, which include (but are not limited to) bows and leathers.

I do request some assistance, as creativity is not something I'm terribly good at.

I'm open to ideas for the alteration for the leathers. Feel free to post it here, or email it to me at my play.net, RangerRantjur@aim.com

or via AIM at RangerRantjur

Thanks for the help in advance guys.

~Rantjur Uzim

Audacia pokes her Rantjur brain.
Rantjur sneezes!
MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Naked Race Ideas (please read!) 06/02/2009 06:41 AM CDT
This is the pouch we were given after we took all our other items off to put our skins in.

You tap a dark brown leather fletching pouch with an image branded into it that you are holding.
>
The vague shape of a person caught mid-stride has been burned into the dark material of this small bag. Braided leather thongs tipped with bright silver beads are used to secure the pouch.
There appears to be something written on it.
>read pouch

A fletching pouch reads:
"First Annual Nekkid Ranger Race 371 (Year of the Silver Unicorn.)"

and this was the first place prize for the third division:

>tap leath

You tap a set of blood-red scaled poloh'izh leathers branded with a detailed forest scene that you are holding.
>look leath

The deep crimson armor has been expertly crafted from perfect hides. Black thread has been used to join the skins and adds an elegant circular design around the collar and cuffs. Burned into the back of the leathers is a scene showing small figures running beneath tall trees that form the shadowy woods. The dark shade of the scene stands out in contrast from the red color of the leather. The maker's initials, DQ, can be seen embossed in black onto the cuff, and a small label is sewn into a seam.
>read label

A small label reads:
"Grand Prize, First annual Nekkid Ranger Race 371 (Year of the Silver Unicorn), Explorer division."
Re: Naked Race Ideas (please read!) 06/02/2009 08:54 AM CDT
Valynn and I came up with some item/prize ideas a while back for an event we were planning that never got off the ground. I can't find my notes, but she may still have them. Get in touch with her even if she doesn't have them anymore -- she's very creative and has come up with a lot of the sweet items we've gotten at recent Ranger Mentor events.

~Thilan
Re: Naked Race Ideas (please read!) 06/02/2009 04:36 PM CDT
I've been in touch with Valynn several times, but she hasn't bounced a whole lot off me. A few things she'd made in the past, but as I flip through the recent emails, nothing 'new'...yet. I am sure she's full of ideas.

I'm just drawing a blank as to what to do about the leathers.

As far as the bows we're having made, this is the rough copy of it: Feel free for constructive criticism.

A <longbow/hunter's longbow> with a small etching on the riser.

Look <longbow/hunter's longbow>

At first glance, this <longbow/hunter's longbow> appears to be no different than an ordinary bow. Upon closer inspection, you notice a small scene acid-etched into the grain of the wood, on the upper riser. The scene depicts a ranger running headlong through the woodlands, leaping over a boulder. Behind the ranger, a small racoon gives chase, dragging a satchel of belongings. The ranger is quite obviously very, very Naked. In small flowing script, the words 'Naked Ranger Race <insert Elanthian date here> winner XXX Bracket.

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Naked Race Ideas (please read!) 06/02/2009 07:59 PM CDT
This is an alternate description, as opposed to criticism. I think a similar design could work for the leathers, if people liked it. For leathers, though, something a little more emblematic might be nicer.

A hunter's longbow etched along the riser with a meandering dotted line.

What appears to be a wandering line along the longbow's riser turns out, on closer inspection, to be a haphazard path forged through a map of Kermoria's wilderness. Though warped by the riser's shape, the map clearly depicts in minute detail the major landmarks and terrain of the provinces, from Ilithi to Therengia. A legend inscribed at the base of the riser bears in flowing script the words "Naked Ranger Race, <date>, winner XXX bracket".
Re: Naked Race Ideas (please read!) 06/02/2009 10:47 PM CDT
Oh, that is nice.

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Naked Race Ideas (please read!) 06/03/2009 09:35 PM CDT
>A hunter's longbow etched along the riser with a meandering dotted line.

>What appears to be a wandering line along the longbow's riser turns out, on closer inspection, to be a haphazard path forged through a map of Kermoria's wilderness. Though warped by the riser's shape, the map clearly depicts in minute detail the major landmarks and terrain of the provinces, from Ilithi to Therengia. A legend inscribed at the base of the riser bears in flowing script the words "Naked Ranger Race, <date>, winner XXX bracket".

I like that idea. I was mulling over something very similar as I like maps. I've been crazy busy at work, but I'll jot some ideas down and get them to you this weekend, but if my vote counts, I like the proposed idea.

~V~

___

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition."

- Henry V, William Shakespeare
Re: Naked Race Ideas (please read!) 06/04/2009 05:17 AM CDT
Everyone's vote counts! It seems thats a very, very popular idea...Audacia, what do you think?

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Naked Race Ideas (please read!) 06/04/2009 08:26 AM CDT
I think leathers would be cool, however cloth could be funnier. Considering how cloth seems to be armored clothes, would be a chuckle to earn some cover as a prize.

>a camouflagic robe embroidered with a meandering dotted line across the surface

>What appears to be a wandering line along the robe's seam turns out, on closer inspection, to be a haphazard path forged through a map of Kermoria's wilderness. Though warped by the folds of fabric, the map clearly depicts in minute detail the major landmarks and terrain of the provinces, from Ilithi to Therengia. A legend stitched across the right breast of the garment bears in flowing script the words "Naked Ranger Race, <date>, winner XXX bracket".

Anyone who has lost track of time when using a computer knows the propensity to dream, the urge to make dreams come true and the tendency to miss lunch.
~Tim Berners-Lee
Re: Naked Race Ideas (please read!) 06/04/2009 12:57 PM CDT
Lots of cool ideas!

Now players have provided several bows for prizes, so don't forget to come up with 2nd and 3rd place ideas too!

GameMaster Audacia

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Re: Naked Race Ideas (please read!) 06/04/2009 01:56 PM CDT
I really liked the Ranger arm cuffs from a few years back. Ya know the ones with the outdoors knife. Id love to see those make a return. So I did these, pretty simple and fitting with the other suggestions.

> a worked leather arm cuff stitched with a meandering dotted line across the surface
> What appears to be a wandering line across the leather turns out, on closer inspection, to be a haphazard path forged through a map of Kermoria's wilderness. Though warped by thin cracks from wear and tear, the map clearly depicts in minute detail the major landmarks and terrain of the provinces, from Ilithi to Therengia. A legend stitched across the lower edge of the cuff bears in flowing script the words "Naked Ranger Race, <date>, winner XXX bracket".

To be accompanied by...

> a wide-bladed skinning knife with a leather-wrapped ironwood pommel
> What appears to be a wandering line across the leather turns out, on closer inspection, to be a haphazard path forged through a map of Kermoria's wilderness. Though warped by thin cracks from frequent use, the map clearly depicts in minute detail the major landmarks and terrain of the provinces, from Ilithi to Therengia. A legend stitched across the lower edge of the cuff bears in flowing script the words "Naked Ranger Race, <date>, winner XXX bracket".

Anyone who has lost track of time when using a computer knows the propensity to dream, the urge to make dreams come true and the tendency to miss lunch.
~Tim Berners-Lee
Re: Naked Race Ideas (please read!) 06/04/2009 06:24 PM CDT
Funny you mention those...

:chilling laughter:

MM2/SS, USN
No Ranger Stands Alone