Prev_page Previous 1
Krin 04/10/2003 06:09 PM CDT
I've added a scouting experience check to your trailhop script and emailed it to your play.net addy. It will now pause when scouting is mindlocked and resume when it drops below that. I've gotten a lot of use out of your original version so far, hopefully this mod will make it a little more convenient for people to train.

~Kyrrian
Re: Krin 04/10/2003 06:45 PM CDT
Krin are you still gonna put up the one where you can stop it at certain places?

Da Not So Madd Webba

"Rock 'n' roll and hip-hop used to be about protest;now they're the soundtrack of commodity capitalism, pushing cars,clothes,computers,vodka and running shoes. It used to take longer for rebellion to go commercial
Re: Krin 04/10/2003 07:43 PM CDT
>Krin are you still gonna put up the one where you can stop it at certain places?

Sorry, Webba, but your Esc key broken? ;)
Re: Krin 04/10/2003 11:27 PM CDT
>>Kyrrian>>I've added a scouting experience check to your trailhop script and emailed it to your play.net addy. It will now pause when scouting is mindlocked and resume when it drops below that.

Thanks. I already have it added in one of my working versions, just haven't uploaded it yet. I prefer to do the exp check after a trail has started, sine that way the run itself isn't slowed in the slightest. I tend to be retentive about keeping it running as smooth and efficient as possible, heh. Especially if it's one of those nights where the game is being laggy anyway, I just don;t want to add an extra 3-5 seconds every trail for a laggy exp check too.

>>WebHead>>Krin are you still gonna put up the one where you can stop it at certain places?

Thought I already did? I upload an old version? Try typing ".trailhop help" and see what happens. Those scripts which require parameters to function I have the help info pop up if no parameters are entered. Scripts like trailhop.cmd are designed to have a default function if no parameters are given (making it possible to assign it to a hotkey in the Wizard) so in cases like those, I usually reserve "help" as a first parameter for the sole function of pulling up the help file.

~~~Krin
Re: Krin 04/11/2003 10:21 AM CDT
>>Thanks. I already have it added in one of my working versions, just haven't uploaded it yet.

No problem, had to replace it with all these drive failures and noticed you'd mentioned something about the check on the website. Got bored, so I figured I'd throw it in there.

>>I prefer to do the exp check after a trail has started, sine that way the run itself isn't slowed in the slightest. I tend to be retentive about keeping it running as smooth and efficient as possible, heh. Especially if it's one of those nights where the game is being laggy anyway, I just don;t want to add an extra 3-5 seconds every trail for a laggy exp check too.

I had originally built it that way, but if it paused at the end of a run it would get confused when it tried to resume, as there wouldn't be a marker in that location. It would have been simple enough to just abort the script at mind lock, but I'd rather let it keep running and leave the user the choice of when to exit. It may have more potential to be impacted by lag, but it'll run the trails indefinitely. IMO the hands-free training outweighed the lag factor.

Sticking to modular design means there's only one variable to change if you want to adjust the frequency of the checks at mind lock (I chose a default of 30 seconds simply to balance between waiting an unnecessarily long time, if you hit your pulse cycle early, and reducing screen scroll) and only one routine to modify if you want to assign your character to do something else (hiding, foraging, music, etc..) while absorbing the experience.

Going with your idea would have been much easier with some sort of RETURN feature, but this isn't exactly the most versatile language. Modifying the whereami routine to recognize trail ends might have worked, but then you run into nextroom issues. If you've managed to bypass the subroutine problems without aborting the script I'm interested in seeing what you've come up with.

~Kyrrian
Re: Krin 04/11/2003 02:42 PM CDT
>>Kyrrian>>I had originally built it that way, but if it paused at the end of a run it would get confused when it tried to resume, as there wouldn't be a marker in that location.

<ponders> Pretty sure the way I had the script built it wouldn't be that difficult to incorporate, just have to build the exp check into the trail_hop subroutine. It automatically takes care of getting to the next trail anyway, vice using the whereami routine. The latter was meant only for initializing the script.

The alternative would be to send the script to an exp check before hopping the trail so add it to the beginning of the trailhop routine, then you can divert to whereami to restart. But that would really be pointless and ineffecient because whereami is needed only because at first, the script doesn't know where you are and where you're going ... after it gets moving, it keeps track of where you are on the route using %s.

>>Kyrrian>>If you've managed to bypass the subroutine problems without aborting the script I'm interested in seeing what you've come up with.

I use %s for that. Everytime the script uses a GOTO to jump to a subroutine, it saves a marker in %s and the subroutine will end with something like "goto jump_%s". Then where I want the subroutine to return to, I merely add a label of "jump_<x>:" where <x> is the name I saved in %s.

Also, some of my scripts also use a combination of %s, GOTO and labelError: to fake an IF...THEN statement. In those cases, I set %s in a similar fashion, and at the end of the script I have:

labelError:
pause 1
echo ;
goto error_%s

The pause and the echo are debugging tools in case the script ends up in an infinite loop due to the script not finding the error label it is looking for and ending up back in the error trap over and over. Once the script is fully debugged I remove the PAUSE and ECHO statements.

Overall, this is one thing that drives me batty when comparing the Wizard to eScape. eScape's ability to define any variables you want on the fly from within a script would make my scripts a lot more powerful and versatile than they are. zMUD has this too, but it also does NOT have true scripting like the Wizard has, you have to be a bit trickier about how you set it up (Smegul and I have been brainstorming about how to set up Wizard-like scripts and I finally realized you have to build them somewhat the same as you would a JScript for a webpage).

If only I could just simply add the variables and active web content of eScape along with zMUD's ability to create user-defined windows and buttons to the Wizard, I would have the ultimate tool for playing DR. Adding in zMUD's ability to emulate all menu features with # commands from the command line or from within a script would just be gravy, heh. I like the Wizard in is current incarnation and I am comfortable with it, it is just lacking vital features.

At least zMUD is flexible enough that the window setup isn't too difficult to emulate (though for some strange frickin reason my windows keep rearranging themselves every time I close/open it <flail>) although it won't let me stack and overlap windows like I do with the Wizard to save screen space while still noticing activity in them. And with the use of hotkeys/aliases I suppose I could emulate the Wizard's setup of multiple hotkey sets for the fkeys (same as I would have to do for eScape), it just wouldn't be as convenient as the Wizard is to use for this.

Add true custom variables and user-defined windows/buttons to the Wizard (along with triggers! <drool>) and it would be the best tool around. I really like having triggers assigned to the messaging involved when one of my usual spells is cast or wears off, asigning a trigger to catch it and change a variable value to match ... along with a button that checks that value. Instead of having to type POW every so many minutes to see if perhaps I missed the messaging of one of my spells wearing off, I get an instant visual display. <sigh> If only the Wizard could do that ...

~~~Krin
Re: Krin 04/11/2003 03:02 PM CDT
Didn't you highlight the messaging? Mine are highlighted in Red, pretty much the only thing other than discovers your hiding place. I usually don't miss the messaging. Go one step further and put a sound with it. I put a sound with the messaging for spell fully prepared. I get an explosion. Same thing with the pacing or whimpering companion. Bugs the snot out of me to be in a room with a ranger who doesn't know if its bonus friendly or not, he paces, I go to pet him.

Player of Peperic Timarson, ranger in training and corn carrier for Lucky, the raccoon.
Tree-house, North Road, River's edge.
"In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks." - Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Krin 04/11/2003 04:05 PM CDT
<<The alternative would be to send the script to an exp check before hopping the trail so add it to the beginning of the trailhop routine, then you can divert to whereami to restart. But that would really be pointless and ineffecient because whereami is needed only because at first, the script doesn't know where you are and where you're going ... after it gets moving, it keeps track of where you are on the route using %s.>>

Krin, not sure how you have your script setup. However what I've done with my own scouting script is to have it do the look check, then move into a exp check and from there start the scouting.

Something like this.

WheretheheckamI?:
put look
match Gondolaexp Wow look a gondola
match Shardexp Bah, a city
match Horsieexp Wait, where are all the horsies
matchwait

Gondolaexp:
put exp scout
match GondolaWait I'm mind locked
match GondolaSlacker Clear, your such a loser, get busy
matchwait

GondolaWait:
put pick nose
pause 20
goto Gondolaexp

Gondolaslacker:
put scout trailmarker
pause 4
put go trailmarker
waitfor Obvious paths:
goto Shardexp

Shardexp:
put exp scout
match ShardWait I'm mind locked
match Shardslacker Clear, your such a loser, get busy
matchwait

ShardWait:
put pick nose
pause 20
goto Gondolaexp

Shardslacker:
put ne
waitfor Obvious paths:
put nw
waitfor Obvious paths:
put nw
waitfor Obvious paths:
put scout trailmarker
pause 4
put go trailmarker
waitfor Obvious paths:

Anyway you get the idea. Heh, of course instead of pick nose;pause 20 you could always do a put for corn or something else a bit more useful, but that should probably be left to the individual to decide.

Mole

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please reinstall Universe and reboot. +++
Hey Krin 07/07/2003 08:47 PM CDT
I have some notes about the Ranger Guild I've had around for a long time, mostly RP-related stuff and some interesting posts. I e-mailed most of them to Nimmo when he was still around and had started his site, but he never got around to posting it. Unfortunately I deleted some of the older info but still have some notes that may be of use.

Since your site is becoming the new authority for Rangers, I thought you might like to include this info (when you get the time, of course). Drop me a line either here or to telger@play.net and we can talk.

~Thilan

PS- Of course, this offer goes to anyone else with a Ranger website who'd like some info that's been cluttering my mailbox for some time now <g>.
Re: Hey Krin 07/07/2003 11:22 PM CDT
Go ahead and forward it to ShadowRangerKrin@aol.com, I'll take a look at it.

One of these days I am seriously considering getting my own domain name. Meantime, I might just go ahead and set up my own mail account on Taffei's site.

~~~Krin
Krin 08/02/2003 08:48 AM CDT
With the Musical Lore skill being changed to Music Theory, and all the other music skills, could you update your circle calculator? Last I checked it wasn't factoring things correctly.

Xelten Tyrsin

Sari darm sanamazat.

If you wish to see your enemies, look at your "friends."
Re: Krin 08/02/2003 11:11 AM CDT
Yeah Krin,

Slacker!

Player of Peperic Timarson, Ranger and tanner in training.
"No matter how hard you try, you can't fix stupid."
"Your chances are slim and none and slim just walked the Starry Road."
Re: Krin 08/02/2003 01:42 PM CDT
Rather difficult to do when the lore average system has not been released.

Sylvado

"Change is the bane of society but without evolution society will perish."
Re: Krin 08/02/2003 04:28 PM CDT
Not really, since my calc doesn't worry about a lore average, only how they apply to Ranger req's. As long as we can have an instrument skill as any of our top 3 lores, that's all that matters, only other place lore comes into the picture is the total lore ranks at the top of the summary.

If I follow through and make calc's for the other Guilds, then it would be a worry. I'll try to remember to update the calc later today (the Olvi had last monday off so she works today and I gotta take her to work in a few minutes) and post here when it's done.

~~~Krin
Hey Krin... 08/04/2003 12:15 PM CDT
How about adding a section to your site for Ranger character pics?

~Dulcinia

"Being a frog never actually killed anyone.."
--Khory
Re: Hey Krin... 08/04/2003 03:20 PM CDT
Already done. Soon as people start sending them, I'll add a category to the dropdown menu at the top. Thought I had mentioned that at the top of the page ...

~~~Krin
Re: Hey Krin... 08/04/2003 03:23 PM CDT
whats the addy again?

Grey/Thyw

Poodles can fly, too. They just can't land. ~~ Qreyq
If you don't find death death will find you.
The gene pool needs cleansing and I am the minster of chlorine.

Re: Hey Krin... 08/04/2003 03:58 PM CDT
http://krinahd.lucerella.com/RangerPics.html

~~~Krin
Re: Hey Krin... 08/04/2003 04:24 PM CDT
crud..now i got to get a character drawing.

Re: Hey Krin... 08/05/2003 06:51 AM CDT
I've never seen a GOOD character drawing, paid for or not.

Xelten Tyrsin

Sari darm sanamazat.

If you wish to see your enemies, look at your "friends."
Re: Hey Krin... 08/05/2003 07:07 AM CDT
what? Krin's adding character drawings to his site??

now im really glad i picked up the tab for my artist friend

well until i hand him my description and he goes "you want me draw ALL of that?"

Izzit
Master Tanner in Training
Re: Hey Krin... 08/05/2003 02:40 PM CDT
>I've never seen a GOOD character drawing, paid for or not.

That almost sounds like a challenge except sometimes you seem to spew off just to see who'll bite. ;)

Wish I had a graphics tablet.

sylviir

Don't forget to vote DR as the number one mud.
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Hey Krin... 08/05/2003 02:49 PM CDT
>>Izzit>>what? Krin's adding character drawings to his site??

What do you mean, adding? <pokes Izzit> I mentioned it from the get-go, but have received only one since the page opened, so I have been waiting on more before setting up a separate category for it.

~~~Krin
Re: Hey Krin... 08/05/2003 03:38 PM CDT
Oh will you post my damn picture already?

<shakes Krin>

~Dulcinia

--Khory
Re: Hey Krin... 08/05/2003 04:35 PM CDT
No can do. Yours doesn't go up until I establish the pay section of the site. <snicker>

You actually go around IG dressed like that, it's no wonder Towint talks about healing system changes like being able to get a cold ...

~~~Krin
Re: Hey Krin... 08/05/2003 04:45 PM CDT
Only at private parties, Krin.

<wink>

~Dulcinia

--Khory
Re: Hey Krin... 08/05/2003 05:17 PM CDT
What is that retardo site again anyhow. I have not made fun of any new people in a while.

Arctuniol
Re: Hey Krin... 08/05/2003 05:36 PM CDT
>>>>What do you mean, adding? <pokes Izzit> I mentioned it from the get-go, but have received only one since the page opened, so I have been waiting on more before setting up a separate category for it.<<<<

ahhh gotcha buddy,musta missed that memo...was prolly huffin tannin salts again...

guess ill need to pressure my friend so everyone can see what a salt huffer looks like<g>

Izzit
Re: Hey Krin... 08/05/2003 06:59 PM CDT
Dude! Izzit, step away from the salts.

Re: Hey Krin... 08/05/2003 07:12 PM CDT
>>ahhh gotcha buddy,musta missed that memo...was prolly huffin tannin salts again...

Geez, man, back off on the salts, it's starting to sound like you only have one brain cell still firing, NURTURE that poor thing, don't kill it ...

~~~Krin
Re: Hey Krin... 08/06/2003 03:45 AM CDT
no see what i have is two brain cells fighting for domination...im just trying to help one win quicker

mmmm salts....

Izzit
Re: Hey Krin... 08/06/2003 11:46 AM CDT
<pinches Krin> Ya gotta take down the old pic and put the new one up! <grins>

~Akashera

"Nothing is so strong as gentleness; Nothing is so gentle as real strength."
De Sales
Re: Hey Krin... 08/06/2003 01:05 PM CDT
<<<pinches Krin> Ya gotta take down the old pic and put the new one up! <grins>>>

Don't take any down, just put all of her pics up.

Sheesh Akashera you change pics like Falk changes underwear.

Re: Hey Krin... 08/06/2003 01:10 PM CDT
<<Sheesh Akashera you change pics like Falk changes underwear.

I thought I changed pics like Falk changes underwear....

Folcwyn
Re: Hey Krin... 08/06/2003 01:14 PM CDT
Falk changes his underwear? When did that start?

His old policy used to be that swimming counted as a bath AND laundry.

~~~Krin
Re: Hey Krin... 08/06/2003 02:14 PM CDT
Unless they are ripped off by me while he is being beat up by a china man.

We were receiving reports that he stunk, so we had to get em off.

Arctuniol
Re: Hey Krin... 08/07/2003 04:48 AM CDT
>>>Unless they are ripped off by me while he is being beat up by a china man

That is a sick mental picture..

Kem

Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses
Re: Hey Krin... 08/07/2003 07:24 AM CDT
yes yes it is

Grey/Thyw

Poodles can fly, too. They just can't land. ~~ Qreyq
If you don't find death death will find you.
The gene pool needs cleansing and I am the minster of chlorine.

Re: Hey Krin... 08/07/2003 09:51 AM CDT
Well not much more different then you wrestlin with nekkid samoans so shush.

Arctuniol
Re: Hey Krin... 08/07/2003 03:34 PM CDT
Pep, the very first picture that went up on Krin's site did not get sent to him by me. Someone else sent that in and I didn't appreciate it so asked Krin if he'd put up the one he has up now.

The one on his site now was taken in 2000 or 2001 I forget. Right before heading out on the Dakota Thunder run that kicks off Sturgis week. With a new bike now, I thought those who were interested might want to see it. So Pppfffttttt!

~Akashera

"Nothing is so strong as gentleness; Nothing is so gentle as real strength."
De Sales
Prev_page Previous 1