1 2 4 Next Next_page
Re: Circle Calc Update 06/11/2004 11:02 AM CDT
bah guess i needa hit 50th before they screw with things again
Re: Circle Calc Update 06/11/2004 11:21 AM CDT
>>bah guess i needa hit 50th before they screw with things again

Actually, I wouldn't sweat it. This new structure should make it easier, not harder. Just a few core skills plus an overall for people >30 (<30 should stay with what we have now ... come to think of it, the calcs would still be good just for that purpose). But the overall will use bits (though I hope the core skills will too), not ranks, so we credit for the fact that each successive rank is harder to earn effort-wise than the last.

It's just making a calc for that range will be difficult for the reasons I already mentioned. Just too many variables, no way to make a coherent calc usable by anyone. Might be able to make one custom-tailored to my own training style and data needs, but even then it will be iffy since I never know how things will go until they happen, and there's that whole pesky thing about no official documentation of what the bits-to-rank (aka BTR) formulas are.

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Re: Circle Calc Update 06/11/2004 11:28 AM CDT
If I just read that right then I'm gonna need to start training escaping and disarming again. Oh well, I was going to eventually anyway.

Lieutenant Xelten Tyrsin
Tribunal Dragoons
Aesry Surlaenis'a

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." --Harry S Truman

Fengreve says, "Grishnok pops up, cops an attitude and Dritz webs him, then promptly drops a tree on his face."
Re: Circle Calc Update 06/11/2004 12:22 PM CDT
>>If I just read that right then I'm gonna need to start training escaping and disarming again. Oh well, I was going to eventually anyway.

Not really.

Let's say first rank takes 100 bits. But rank 300 could take something huge like 1000 bits. You could rank that upper skill @ 300 once (bits are added to your totals as you rank, guess they don't want to have to mess with tallying partials) or you could rank that lesser skill @ 1 7-9 times (depending on the bit counts for ranks 2-10), either way ends the same, same bit count.

It's the same amount of effort either way and we get the same credit so unlike the old overall req's, we don't have to train our lowest skills to exert the least effort for most gain ... it will all be the same, as it should be. The core skills req's will be to ensure we train the very central skills that the Guldleaders feel define us as a Guild more so than the others.

Mind you, those numbers are plucked out of the air for demonstration purposes, but they should give you an idea of how the actual numbers stack up. When the music lore split happened, I had musical theory at only 95 or 96 ranks ... putting one rank of it into one of the non-vocal skills raised that skill to right around 20 ranks, so there's an example for you. Now imagine how many ranks a skill at 300+ is worth. Which I will get to find out if the mech split happens anytime in the near future.

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."
Re: Circle Calc Update 06/11/2004 01:10 PM CDT
<<It's the same amount of effort either way and we get the same credit so unlike the old overall req's, we don't have to train our lowest skills to exert the least effort for most gain

This is the part I disagree with and where I feel the new system is to the benefit of higher circle characters. Yes it does take more bits to to go from 300 to 301 than from 1 to 2 but you also get more bits per action for the things you are doing with 300 in a skill compared with what you can do with 1 in a skill.

Sylvado

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."
Re: Circle Calc Update 06/13/2004 11:54 AM CDT
Has anyone posted notes on the new EXP system somewhere? i dont have time to keep up with all the folders so if someone could post a link to that discussion on the boards i would appreciate it. Thanks
Re: Circle Calc Update 07/08/2004 03:52 PM CDT
I really think the folks that will be hurt are those that trained evenly accross their skills. Big advantage goes to guilds with small sized skillsets, where they have had to focus all their attentions on a few skill and have gotten very high ranks in them.

That is if the number of bits required per circle is somewhat standard accross guilds.

- Tarmerdes
Re: Circle Calc Update 07/08/2004 05:45 PM CDT
>>That is if the number of bits required per circle is somewhat standard accross guilds.

It won't be. The GM's already assured us the req would be set for each Guild as per its circumstances. Otherwise, it would defeat the whole purpose of making the change in the first place.

~~~Krin
"Call me Snake."
1 2 4 Next Next_page