Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 06:11 PM CDT
On a side note I forgot to add you play a RANGER, you should be able to travel with relative ease. That is the POINT! Not to mention that underground river in Shard isn't really very far. I swim there quite often when I'm in Shard and apparently that teaches around 700. Granted I can't get past the first room but hey. I'm not complaining.
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 06:32 PM CDT
<< But putting a swim right next to the starter town that takes 700 swimming is a good way to turn people off to this game because let's face it having 1 rank in a skill and needing 400 ranks to swim the closest useful body of water is a bit of a turn off.

Are you seriously trying to use this argument? I dont know if you are aware, but DR is NOT an instant gratification game. Having a high level swimming area near the beginning is not going to turn people off from the game. True noobs arent even going to know about the swimming, and even then, they would be turned off from the game long before they figured out about the swimming aspect of it if having to achieve skill to do something was a turn off. Or on the other hand, they might be turned off to the game if they were able to do everything right away. I've personally always enjoyed the challenge of things, and having to work toward being able to do something. When bypassing the gondola was released, I didnt have the climbing needed to do it. It took me a while to be able to do it, but when I could, it was all the sweeter.

If something like this was going to turn them off from the game, then so would the million other things that actually requires a lot of invested time and training to actually do. There is a ferry, if people dont have the skill. It is not like they cant bypass the river all together. You are talking about something that has never been able to be done, and act like its going to ruin the game to actually be able to do something NEW that wasnt able to be done before. Can you see the huge hole in your logic? Let me repeat that for you. Something is being added that wasnt even possible before, and you are complaining that there is skill attached to it.

The fact of the matter is, there is plenty of beginning game development. If there wasnt, players would have not been able to get where they are at currently. The is actually very little end game development. There needs to be new things for older players as well. As you mentioned, there are already places to swim at 120-150-225-400 ranks. There is actually a handful of places to train at those ranks. On the other hand there is really only 2-3 places to train at higher ranks, and of course none of them are in the greatest location, which forces you to be pigeon-holed into being in those areas.

If you dont have the swimming to swim the river, you arent out anything. You can do what people have been always doing, and doing for years, and take the ferry. And now you have something to work toward. If you do have the swimming, now you have perhaps another place to train.

Falker
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 06:37 PM CDT
>What? How do you figure? The water is deep enough for ships to pass through.

You got it.

>It should take a minimum of 400 + Cais IMO.

Not quite that tough.

>The Faldesu is big and deep enough for ships to cross that doesn't even barely take 150 to swim. So that argument is null.

The currents are stronger in the Selgotha.

>Also, can you make some matching climbables to go with the swimmables?

:-)

Folks, it is doable. It is hard. There is a large percentage of people who will be able to swim it, and it's a great goal for the large percentage that can't. Rangers will have it easier with CAIS, but newbie area or not, it is not intended to be a newbie swim. It's not easy to get to, it's not easy to swim, it's a bit of a ways to travel. But it's cool, its fun and it's different. I threw in some cool stuff, and potentially have some more to add. I think you'll enjoy it, so quit worrying :-P

GameMaster Audacia

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 06:40 PM CDT
<<On a side note I forgot to add you play a RANGER, you should be able to travel with relative ease. That is the POINT! Not to mention that underground river in Shard isn't really very far. I swim there quite often when I'm in Shard and apparently that teaches around 700. Granted I can't get past the first room but hey. I'm not complaining.

That's right. We are rangers, and you are in a ranger folder. And it's the ranger GM that is making it possible to swim the river. Rangers tend to have more swimming/survival than everyone else, and we get to bypass things with enough skill as one of the neat perks to our guild. We are the terrain masters of the realm. It would be one thing if a ranger was complaining about this. I guess I shouldnt be surprised that it is a non-ranger making a fuss. Take the ferry, and stop complaining. Especially about something that isnt even out yet.

Falker
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 06:44 PM CDT
I like how you completely ignore everything I say and focus on that ONE sentence. You can travel to shard in what one minute? And you're complaining that Shard is too far from Crossing for you to train swimming in that river?

I can get to Theren from Crossing in about two minutes tops, it's really not the end of the world. And if you are ABLE to swim a river at 250 ranks like I suggested does not mean it stops teaching at 250 ranks. Yes I can't wait 'til I can climb past the gondola, and yes I agree this game isn't about instant gratification but a 1 to 250 grind is still a pretty difficult grind but you don't remember I imagine. You can climb the branch, so use it to travel quickly to the right swimming spots because that is the POINT. Rangers are supposed to travel. If you could train from 1 to 1000 in the same town then what's the point?

And if you say otherwise and want everything to be right there for you, then you're missing out on a lot of lovely text scenery that Rangers are supposed to be looking for. =\

You gain all these ranks and you get to 700 climbing/swimming/scouting so you can see the trails and climb the trees but you still want to hole yourself up in Crossing and have all the training spots right next to where you are, that's some silly logic.
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 06:46 PM CDT
Lawl I am a Ranger -_-; get your facts straight.
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 07:10 PM CDT
<<Lawl I am a Ranger -_-; get your facts straight.

Then stop your complaining like a finger waggler and train your swimming. I've never heard a ranger whine about needing survival to get somewhere.

Also, having a ranger character doesnt make you a ranger. Just like me having a warrior mage, moon mage, empath, cleric, etc, make me any of those guilds. You dont talk as if you are a ranger, so it's easy to think that you arent. Especially for a statement like this:

<<And if you're a Ranger you can take the trails makes it very nice, too.

Whether it was directed at me specifically, or rangers in general, a ranger would not normally point out that a ranger can run trails... That would be like if I was in a cleric folder talking about how clerics shouldnt have any new cool guild defining spells spells, and I said, "and if you are a cleric, you can raise people..." How many people would think I was actually a cleric?

Falker
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 07:22 PM CDT
... Your ability to selectively read makes this debate boring and pointless. I -was- directing the comment at you specificaly, only reminding you of the fact that -you- are indeed a Ranger. I've never ever played anything besides a Ranger and I wasn't complaining about needing survivals. You were complaining about having to actually use your survivals that you already have to get somewhere that isn't in the vicinity of Crossing. Case closed.
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 07:38 PM CDT
>and yes I agree this game isn't about instant gratification but a 1 to 250 grind is still a pretty difficult grind but you don't remember I imagine.

I trained from 250 to 550 since May of last year. Which seems to indicate to me that 1 to 300 if it's important enough for a ranger, is doable in less than a year. Is a year really a long time in a game in which we play for year after year and plan goals based on a long view?

>You gain all these ranks and you get to 700 climbing/swimming/scouting so you can see the trails and climb the trees but you still want to hole yourself up in Crossing and have all the training spots right next to where you are, that's some silly logic.

I personally would only choose Crossing as an absolute last resort. I detest the place. But I'm not very fond of moving to M'riss either, since it makes finding people to kill/interact with rather limited when I have that desire. For now, Apes is only 5 minutes and a ferry ride away (and soon just a short little swim instead!).
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 07:40 PM CDT
<<.. Your ability to selectively read makes this debate boring and pointless.

There is not one thing that I have selectively read. I just dont see a point in responding to every little point, but if you insist....

<<I -was- directing the comment at you specificaly,

I believe I covered that with the statement, "whether you are directing that at me or rangers in general"

<<only reminding you of the fact that -you- are indeed a Ranger.

I've probably been a ranger longer than 90% of the people in the game. Being that I rolled Falk up back in the fall of 2000. I dont need any reminder that I'm a ranger, or the abilities that I have as one. I've actually help come up with many of the ideas/abilities that we've gotten over the years. So reminding me that I'm a ranger is rather silly.

<<I've never ever played anything besides a Ranger and I wasn't complaining about needing survivals.

Complaining about the skill it takes (or is going to take) to cross the seg 'in a noob area' is indeed complaining about needing survivals. I dont know what you'd call it.

<<You were complaining about having to actually use your survivals that you already have to get somewhere that isn't in the vicinity of Crossing.

I was?? Where? In fact I think I said I like needing to use and gain survival to get somewhere. I think reading comprehension might be the problem here...

Also, I dont think there is currently a river I can swim to get from Mriss to the Crossings. I actually dont have any place I can train both combat and swimming currently. So if that was your point, its a rather poor one as well.

<<Case closed.

Umm, ya. When you cant win a debate, declare it closed and run away.

Falker
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 07:43 PM CDT
>>Is a year really a long time in a game in which we play for year after year and plan goals based on a long view?

I'd like to answer yes <.< but! I'm curious everyone elses answer since it was brought up =O
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 07:46 PM CDT
>>I was?? Where? In fact I think I said I like needing to use and gain survival to get somewhere. I think reading comprehension might be the problem here...

>>So instead of fixing a skill that already has a horrible reputation for needing to travel far away just to train it etc etc.

Which Shard really isn't very far at all and very soon you'll be able to SWIM there and then pass the gondola that you already can pass =O

I'm done salutes
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 07:50 PM CDT
Shard isn't near M'riss. (Granted neither is crossing).

Most (not all) of us with high swim/climb are in the Armadillo range and find it to be a rather limiting situation :/
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 08:02 PM CDT
<<So instead of fixing a skill that already has a horrible reputation for needing to travel far away just to train it etc etc.

<<Which Shard really isn't very far at all and very soon you'll be able to SWIM there and then pass the gondola that you already can pass =O

Shard's underground river, teaches horribly past a certain point. It's not easy to get to for everyone (for a great many people), which was the original point of my post. So your opinion that shard is not far, really doesnt matter. It is far for some people, that cant climb past, or cant run trails to the gondola. Just because they dont affect ME, doesnt mean it doesnt affect others. I dont just post things for selfish reasons, imagine that.

Also I dont think my opinion would count as a 'repuation'. So indeed reading comprehension, or lack thereof, is to blame here.

Lastly, until they release something on the mainland that I can hunt, any other releases there dont really affect me, what so ever.

This argument is pointless though, because its already been declared that it will be a more difficult swim. It probably still isnt going to be hard enough for my taste, but that was never my point. It should be harder, and it looks like it is going to be.

<<I'm done salutes

Yes. You are.

Falker
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 08:14 PM CDT
I would like to point out that I never asked for this swim to be in the 50s range. Just not in the 500 range.

Now, seriously I am done.
Re: Huh? *NUDGE* 07/20/2009 08:21 PM CDT
Keep it on topic and take conflicts to the appropriate folder, please.

If you have any questions, please email either myself (MOD-Sidatura@play.net), Senior Board Monitor Annwyl (DR-Annwyl@play.net), or Message Board Supervisor Cecco (DR-Cecco@play.net).

~Sidatura

"Plato Smash!" - Action Philosophers
Re: Huh? *NUDGE* 07/20/2009 08:26 PM CDT
>>No conflict, just friendly aggressive debating!

This ^

>>I won, so the debate should be over.

I think we should just agree to disagree, nobody won here. <.<
Re: Huh? *NUDGE* 07/20/2009 08:31 PM CDT
Any further posts not directly relating to the topic will be hidden. Thanks.

If you have any questions, please email either myself (MOD-Sidatura@play.net), Senior Board Monitor Annwyl (DR-Annwyl@play.net), or Message Board Supervisor Cecco (DR-Cecco@play.net).

~Sidatura

"Plato Smash!" - Action Philosophers
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 09:01 PM CDT
Once water is over your head, making it deeper doesn't make it harder to swim across. Actually, the way river currents work, deeper rivers are easier to swim across (assuming there are no creatures lurking in the murky depths).
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 09:04 PM CDT
>Most (not all) of us with high swim/climb are in the Armadillo range and find it to be a rather limiting situation :/

Yeah, you end up on the script islands with no real reason to keep working your skills. Mainland hunting please.
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 10:38 PM CDT
It would be nice if the Segoltha had some areas that those with lower ranks could use to practice swimming, if not actually being able to cross it.

If I recall there is a sort of gap between the goblin brook and the Faldesu which makes staying in the zoluren vicinity to train swimming sort of a pain. Maybe not a huge deal for rangers with boosts, but swimming is a concern for everyone.

Premium subscribers have that brook or trench or whatever, but I had to haul my characters to Ilaya to bridge that gap, which was very annoying to say the least. (If only there was a way to swim across that danged river. Oh, wait...)

I think it would sit a lot better with the noob-swimmer set if it was at least possible to use the Segoltha to train up enough swimming to...swim the Segoltha.

And for what it's worth, that argument about ships crossing it doesn't hold water. (heh...) The Faldesu is the same way. Not to say that I think the Segoltha ought to be easy, but meh.

-- Player of Szrael --

Professional Healers Association Fee Calculator:

http://empathunion.appspot.com (Beta!)
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 11:24 PM CDT
I'd like to chime in on something that I found out a few days ago. As a real life person, I would consider myself to be at the 10 ranks level, meaning that a kiddie pool is right about my speed. Well, myself and the girlfriend went out to the Trinity River in Texas few days ago, and while I was splashing around in the river, I noticed a few things right quick.

When I was knee deep in water, wading was perhaps slight against the current, and unnoticeable with the current.
When I was waist deep in the water, wading was moderate against the current, and slight with the current.
When I was neck deep in the water, I was unable to move against the current, and wading was moderate with the current.
The current moved even faster towards the middle of the river, which I admired from a distance.

I booked it back to shore at an angle to the current, moving from moderate to slight to none, and contented myself with building sandcastles while she splashed around.

Now I know that real life sometimes has very little to do with the game itself, but it can lend itself a wee bit.

Why not make a river that is several paces wide and moves from no current to heavy current and back down to no current on the far side? I'm saying this sentence as if I was crossing the river from one side to another.

Additionally, all rivers start somewhere, and end somewhere else. Why not make rivers long enough that you can travel all the way along them from one place to another.

For example, looking at the map on the play.net website, it seems as if there is a river that leads from near Kaerna Village and goes thru the Crossing before dipping into the Segoltha River (and if I am not mistaken, a huge waterfall inside the Reavers is the "in-game" starting point of that river).

Again, looking at the map on the play.net website, it seems as if the Segoltha itself runs from Forfedhdar, to just south of the Tiger Clan, to just south of the Crossing, into the sea.

Just combining a multi-width river which runs for any certain length would allow almost everyone who is interested in Swimming to get what they need without having to travel all over the world to train at any specific rank, as well as "flesh in" the world as we already know it.
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 11:32 PM CDT
Perhaps have the swim go from fairly easy along the shores(to bridge the gap between the goblin brook and the Faldesu) to extremely difficult in the middle. Would make people on both spectrums happy.

SEND[Bramoir] Okay, you are all set, just make sure you use your name for the powers of good okay?
Re: Huh? 07/20/2009 11:36 PM CDT
Swimming and climbing both being largely modified by strength and stamina makes it THE COMPLETE SUCK for gnomes. Just saying. :(

Tibles
Re: Huh? 07/21/2009 12:09 AM CDT
>Swimming and climbing both being largely modified by strength and stamina makes it THE COMPLETE SUCK for gnomes. Just saying. :(

Dart mentioned that some skills have an extra penalty for gnomes just for being small. Good times.
Re: Huh? 07/21/2009 12:46 AM CDT
I thought they got rid of these? I hate skills that are penalized for having low strength. Swinging a sword is penalized but that penalty is balanced out by having superior agility. Can we get agility/reflex put into swimming somehow?
Re: Huh? 07/21/2009 05:36 AM CDT
I'll chime in here. Basically I don't think the river should be easier to swim in than it already is.

I understand people love playability when creating areas and neat ideas. To me while i love the Faldesu I also see it as one of the reasons why Survivals in DR are dumbed down. Everyone wants to be able to swim, no one wants to go find the places to train swimming high enough to brave such places. The fact the current sweeps you back to the same bank you came from with little to no risk to death, make it no longer SURVIVAL.

Personally I wish for things like attempting to climb down or up something that is severly beyond your skill to be near sucidial. You don't even get a scuff if you fail. Swimming is the same way, most of the areas that teach high go nowhere, simply becuase people get upset because if they cannot do it, they feel cheated in some way.

I think, a lot of areas can do with more swimming areas to bridge gaps, but I don't want to cheapen a difficult swim that actaully goes somewhere because of the underdevelopment of useful survival areas.

I'd also like to see swimming rivers difficulty change by the amount of rain. Climbs become more dangerous with raging storms. I just don't know how possible the dream is, to make survivals playable and a more dynamic part of Dragon Realms.

I think people have gotten too used to it always being safe to go into dangerous waters, or attempt the impossible. Even if Pseudo Death isn't much of a penalization (a dead argument) somethings I just would like to have a death/dangerous factor added.

Fimusalor rancidly says in Prydaenese, "Then I will eat her heart and deficate in her skull."

Fimusalor claws slowly clench and unclench, creating a scraping sound.
Re: Huh? 07/21/2009 09:05 AM CDT
>To me while i love the Faldesu I also see it as one of the reasons why Survivals in DR are dumbed down. Everyone wants to be able to swim, no one wants to go find the places to train swimming high enough to brave such places. The fact the current sweeps you back to the same bank you came from with little to no risk to death, make it no longer SURVIVAL.

>Personally I wish for things like attempting to climb down or up something that is severly beyond your skill to be near sucidial. You don't even get a scuff if you fail. Swimming is the same way, most of the areas that teach high go nowhere, simply becuase people get upset because if they cannot do it, they feel cheated in some way.

I agree and think swimming and climbing need to be evaluated to add risk for failure. Having depart items greatly increases the playability of watery death.

Adding some default areas downstream of river crossings where graves would end up (on the same side as departs go) would even mitigate that further.

I absolutely loved the climbs in the Silverwater mine because they were risky. DR needs more climbs like that.

Having risk attached to making challenging climbs or swims should go hand-in-hand with increase experience rewards for them as well.

My only complaint is that the difficulty of this area seems to be driven by the immediate desire for more high-level swimming areas. Again, it just doesn't sit right to me that this swim should be over twice as hard as the Faldesu or the Jiantspire, just because some folks with 500 swimming want an arbitrary benchmark.

On another topic, IIRC you have to cross the mountains to get to the river I am thinking of in the area between P5 and Therengia. And there are some mountain lakes on the maps as well, so lots of room for plenty of survival based barriers where it actually should be really hard.
Re: Huh? 07/21/2009 11:08 AM CDT
There's an easy solution if you can't accept how we want to put the difficulty, we double or triple the difficulty of some of these other swims :)

-Z, who apparently actually had time for 2 posts
Re: Huh? 07/21/2009 01:03 PM CDT
<.< I'm not sure I follow exactly D=
Re: Huh? 07/22/2009 03:30 AM CDT
>><.< I'm not sure I follow exactly D=

Think 1200+ ranks to swim in the frozen river or whatever it is down in Ilithi that high level swimmers are in.

SEND[Bramoir] Okay, you are all set, just make sure you use your name for the powers of good okay?
Re: Huh? 07/22/2009 10:05 AM CDT
Oh, that's what I thought he meant.
Re: Huh? 07/26/2009 06:12 PM CDT
<<The currents are stronger in the Selgotha.

For a city as large and busy as Crossing in, building a port in strong currents is a bad idea. Ships could get thrashed just being docked.

Tell me it's a large and deep body of water and as a result takes considerably more skill to swim than the Faldesu, it think it's far more plausible in my mind.
Re: Huh? 07/27/2009 11:01 PM CDT
<<There's an easy solution if you can't accept how we want to put the difficulty, we double or triple the difficulty of some of these other swims :)

-Z, who apparently actually had time for 2 posts>>

Oooooo Z and Audi you make one er ah, heck of a team! But I like the idea of making something to make the swim easier...say a float or raft?

And for another place to revisit and make very hard swims for the folks like Falker (you looked too cute in the ranger race)...there are sharks in Aesery ocean....perhaps a nice swim from Aesry to M'riss? Merkreesh? Don't know the map of the area too well but, just a thought.

Then later, I know much later, when companions are done (perhaps in my lifetime) you can let us train the sharks with enough animal lore or at least get them to understand we are not food and lend us a flipper?

Zinaca adding her 2 coppers in here...Lucky says bring it on but he swims much better than I do : (
Re: Huh? 07/27/2009 11:03 PM CDT
<<Tell me it's a large and deep body of water and as a result takes considerably more skill to swim than the Faldesu, it think it's far more plausible in my mind.>>

Think of it as wide as the Mississippi and as deep as the Caspian Sea. Or as wide as the Caspian Sea too.

Zinaca
Re: Huh? 07/28/2009 08:55 AM CDT
<<Then later, I know much later, when companions are done (perhaps in my lifetime) you can let us train the sharks with enough animal lore or at least get them to understand we are not food and lend us a flipper?

"People are friends, not food"
Re: Huh? 07/28/2009 09:36 AM CDT
WTB swim between the islands! They're basically just a straight swim but requires like...600+ [maybe 700 =O] swimming and whenever you reach a checkpoint [which would be a tiny one room island] you're forced to rest from anywhere between 2-6 minutes depending on your stamina [there would be more than one]. At any rate! You'd have to rest because you're swimming in an ocean! But I figure juggling is a nice recreational restful activity? Sure... Maybe make the mana on these islands nice and fruitful.

Throwing that out there. >=]
Re: Huh? 07/28/2009 02:33 PM CDT
And we could have a few people join us on the island. And then like we could all talk about each other behind their back, and then I vote everyone off the island!

Falker
Re: Huh? 07/28/2009 07:20 PM CDT
::imports naptha to blow the island up

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: Huh? 07/28/2009 10:49 PM CDT
>>and then I vote everyone off the island!

Lawl. Sounds like a plan! Make it happen!
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page