Horses. I know, I know. 05/16/2015 01:32 AM CDT
I haven't bothered to get a horse on a character since shortly after they were released. I've decided I wanted to torture myself again if only for the faint hope that horses will one day be, hahaha lemme stop. Anyway, I moseyed over to the Royal Mews and asked the Stablemaster about horses and magic prep, that went fine. Now, I can't for the life of me figure out the appropriate phrasing to get any stablemaster/man anywhere to teach me the things I need to learn in order teach the horses I wrangle. I know certain skills require training by specific guilds, I'm talking about the things like lead rope, saddle, jump and animal, etc. I've read the Elanthipedia page on Horses many times over and checked it against DRSecrets. Is the system even more broken than before or is there some trick to getting them to cooperate?

Thanks, friends.
Re: Horses. I know, I know. 05/16/2015 01:31 PM CDT

I think you learn them from someone who knows the classes already?
Pallies and Barbs I think teach some of the combat/load classes.

This is what Jal has.

INSTRUCT syntax:
INSTRUCT {player|animal} {keyword}
INSTRUCT STOP [horse]
This stops you instructing or listening to instruction.
The HORSE option used here will interrupt your horse
from being instructed.

*Stopping a class resets instruction completely, forcing
you to start over at the beginning of the instruction.*

INSTRUCT CONTINUE
This will continue a paused class.
(It may take a moment for the class to resume.)

You currently know how to instruct a horse using the following keywords: COMBAT, JOUST, WAR, MAGIC, ANIMAL, KNEEL, BEG, JUMP, LEADROPE, SADDLE, SPIN, PRANCE.
You currently know how to instruct people using the following keywords: BAREBACK.
>

Jalika
Re: Horses. I know, I know. 05/17/2015 01:24 PM CDT

Thank you for responding. I know most people haven't had to think about this since the very early 2000's. I do know about the abilities that are taught by other players. What I am asking about is how to go about learning the items that Stablemaster is supposed to teach you.

According to Elanthipedia he is supposed to teach Rangers the following: LEADROPE, SADDLE, ANIMAL, MAGIC, JUMP, REAR, BEG, and KNEEL. Though I am having a flicker of a memory that Traders are actually responsible for some of that. I think the things that qualify as tricks, maybe. That is on top of his normal classes of spell prep and basic horsemanship. Either I'm getting the syntax wrong or something is broken or maybe I'm entirely round the bend.
Re: Horses. I know, I know. 05/17/2015 01:35 PM CDT
Most of the places where you learn the horse tricks have two NPCs there, are you talking to the right person? It's been a long time since I learned those lessons on my Ranger, but I remember getting the classes from someone other than the "Stable Master" NPC.

Your time for being forced PvP OPEN has ended. You have been set back to DON'T MUCK WITH ME UNLESS YOU TELL ME FIRST! and will not be able to change it for 24 hours.
Re: Horses. I know, I know. 05/17/2015 01:49 PM CDT

I've also tried the second NPC, the Stableman.
Re: Horses. I know, I know. 05/17/2015 01:55 PM CDT
Alright well after spamming the commands at them both for a while Stableman Mathwen has decided to suddenly teach me something every couple of commands despite telling me he doesn't know anything about it right now only a few minutes previous. Whatever, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth, get it? Thanks guys.
Re: Horses. I know, I know. 05/17/2015 04:47 PM CDT
It's been a long time, but I seem to remember that different stablemen taught different things.

Glad to see you are getting training though.

Zinaca and her baby wolf, Lucky
Re: Horses. I know, I know. 05/18/2015 03:06 PM CDT
Yeah, I had to go to Rossmans to learn a few things. The stablemaster would only teach me something every so often too, then I'd have to do something else for a while before asking for the next topic.
Re: Horses. I know, I know. 05/19/2015 03:48 PM CDT
I suppose it could be worse. The sadistic GMs could have made us travel to M'riss to learn stuff.

Zinaca and her still a baby wolf, Lucky