Question on arranging 10/11/2012 01:01 PM CDT
I should know this but I don't really keep up with all the new changes, just sort of deal with them when they happen.

It's been awhile since I could do "arrange all" before skinning, it is my understanding that this is tied into the new crafting stuff. After browsing Elanthipedia, to be able to do this, I need to go to one of the Outfitting Societies and learn the Tailoring discipline, then learn the Leather Tanning Expertise technique and then I can do arrange all.

Dumb question, just want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

Thanks,

Gniloi
Re: Question on arranging 10/11/2012 01:06 PM CDT
Yes. You'll have to go to the Outfitting Society and pick Tailoring as a hobby or career. When you do that, you can use your available technique slots to pick up the Expertise tech.

The Shard Sentinel nods to Alexii and says, "Yes, you may pass."
Alexii says, "Sucker!"
Re: Question on arranging 10/11/2012 01:07 PM CDT
>>Dumb question, just want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

Sounds about right, at least according to the current setup.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Question on arranging 10/11/2012 01:07 PM CDT
>>You'll have to go to the Outfitting Society and pick Tailoring as a hobby or career.

This is not correct at all.

You do NOT have to pick tailoring as a hobby or career. You just need a tech slot.

Re: Question on arranging 10/11/2012 03:56 PM CDT
just want to reiterate that you do not have to choose tailoring as a career or hobby. as of now you pick it, you're stuck with it. they gave us as rangers a free tech slot pretty much so we can still do arrange all as usual and not have to spend lore pts on it.

Sniper Shinumo
Re: Question on arranging 10/11/2012 04:28 PM CDT
>>You do NOT have to pick tailoring as a hobby or career. You just need a tech slot.

IIRC, that is only temporary and subject to change.

Alexii says, "Sucker!"
Re: Question on arranging 10/11/2012 04:31 PM CDT
>>IIRC, that is only temporary and subject to change.

It's not temporary.

What's temporary is that mech lore gives you tech slots in every craft.

In 3.0 you'll get tech slots for the skill you're training as you gain more and more skill. You'll earn 12 techs by the time you get 900 in the skill.

In other words, if you weren't a Ranger with a default two ranks in outfitting, if you wanted to just get the arranging tech you'd just need to learn 25 ranks of outfitting and then never train the skill again. That's actually one of the things I plan to do when 3.0 comes out.

Re: Question on arranging 10/11/2012 04:33 PM CDT
Awesome, thanks for breaking that down for me.

Alexii says, "Sucker!"
Re: Question on arranging 10/11/2012 05:48 PM CDT
>>In other words, if you weren't a Ranger with a default two ranks in outfitting, if you wanted to just get the arranging tech you'd just need to learn 25 ranks of outfitting and then never train the skill again. That's actually one of the things I plan to do when 3.0 comes out.

IIRC, you don't automatically get your bonus techs. You have to gain a tech, to get your bonus tech. IE, if you get a bonus tech in poisons (Thief), you must gain 25 ranks in alchemy. If you have 2 bonus techs in poisons (Necro), you need to gain 50 ranks to get both your bonus techs. The first bonus tech at 25, the 2nd at 50.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Question on arranging 10/11/2012 05:59 PM CDT
<just want to reiterate that you do not have to choose tailoring as a career or hobby. as of now you pick it, you're stuck with it. they gave us as rangers a free tech slot pretty much so we can still do arrange all as usual and not have to spend lore pts on it.

< Sniper Shinumo

First of all, thanks to all who have posted. So, I could choose weaponsmithing as a career, blacksmithing as a hobby and still get to pick one carving technique and two tailoring techniques because I am a ranger? Not that those would be my choices for career and hobby.

If I have 300 mech, once I convert or choose a career and hobby, I would be able to choose up to 8 techniques(give or take) according to the table on Elanthipedia plus my bonus techniques for being a ranger. Think I am finally wrapping my head around this.

Thanks again,

Gniloi
Re: Question on arranging 10/11/2012 06:23 PM CDT
You still seem somewhat confused:

http://elanthipedia.org/wiki/Crafting

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Question on arranging 10/11/2012 06:38 PM CDT
>>First of all, thanks to all who have posted. So, I could choose weaponsmithing as a career, blacksmithing as a hobby and still get to pick one carving technique and two tailoring techniques because I am a ranger? Not that those would be my choices for career and hobby.

That's essentially correct. As long as you get 25 ranks in engineering and 50 ranks in outfitting. However, you'll also get the techniques from those ranks. So at 25 engineering you'll have 1 general engineering tech and 1 carving bonus tech. At 50 outfitting you'll have 2 general outfitting techs and 2 tailoring bonus techs.

You can learn as many skills as you want and you will gain techniques for gaining the skill, and as you gain a bit of ranks, you will also gain your guild bonus techniques, regardless of career or hobby choices.

Career and hobby techniques are in -addition- to the techniques you get for learning the skills, and you'll gain those as you work your ranks up as well.

You can always see how many techniques you have available unspent at any time with the CRAFT command.

Tsarenzi
Re: Question on arranging 10/11/2012 07:48 PM CDT
>> IIRC, you don't automatically get your bonus techs. You have to gain a tech, to get your bonus tech. IE, if you get a bonus tech in poisons (Thief), you must gain 25 ranks in alchemy. If you have 2 bonus techs in poisons (Necro), you need to gain 50 ranks to get both your bonus techs. The first bonus tech at 25, the 2nd at 50.

Yeah, you're right. They're not automatically given upon joining the guild.