Rangers and the Balance 02/03/2010 08:29 PM CST
This topic hasn't been used since september...heh...
So about the Ranger Meeting (aka Rangers talk about necros the whole time)

So what do you guys really think? Pulling this OOC since this meeting got me thinking.

I always felt that the Balance was something that was maintained in nature, perhaps nurtured by rangers. If the undead are overrunning for time, the Balance will swing back and fruitful bunny hug happy times will come later.

I guess the feeling I've always taken with Jalika is that Nature/Balance, while not quite one of the gods, was a powerful entity beyond the mere mortals or adventurers. Rangers draw power through it by a sort of mutual respect deal.

Should rangers be RPing protectors of nature, the balance, and all things green? Should I be planting seedlings and packing my lunch in a non-bpa recycled glass container? Am I a bad ranger if my life mission isn't to take down Lyras? I guess I've always seen this as a cleric/paladin goal, while all communities/cities should come through to support and defend their lands. Is it really a Ranger fight? Or is this hype just rangers trying to do their part to help?

I suppose for me personally it boils down to being bored of all the necromancer stuff and missing rangering, and ranger community, but I truly am curious how everyone else is taking this event.

Jalika

ps - When do we get to see Marion? Tomma is spacey, Tolle is drunk (i'm frighteningly siding with motherly Kalika these days). I hope Marion is the cunning yet respectable guildleader I imagine him to be.

Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Ragran's pockets and carefully grab a platinum.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: Rangers and the Balance 02/03/2010 08:33 PM CST
>I hope Marion is the cunning yet respectable guildleader I imagine him to be.

Given the other GL's reactions to him... I don't think respectable is really the right word to use.

-pete
Re: Rangers and the Balance 02/03/2010 08:35 PM CST
>>Am I a bad ranger if my life mission isn't to take down Lyras? I guess I've always seen this as a cleric/paladin goal, while all communities/cities should come through to support and defend their lands. Is it really a Ranger fight?

Taking what lore we can out of the Dark Hand situation, we derive that Necromancy in general undermines Nature. As such, what Lyras is doing certainly has a negative impact on Nature and the Balance, which makes it a Ranger prerogative to fight back against the corrupting effects of such magic. The Holy types would be more interested in how the Immortals feel about making unlife and such, I believe.
Re: Rangers and the Balance 02/03/2010 10:16 PM CST
>>Should rangers be RPing protectors of nature, the balance, and all things green?

I think that's the great thing about rangers, we have more diversity in our ranks than most other guilds. Be the green ranger and keep nature protected and clean. Be a crafty ranger with stealing and steaths unmatched. Be a Robin Hood and teal from the rich to help the poor. A survivilist with a massive amount of survival skills at your disposal. A nature mage/druid with magics beyond belief....there is no way to play a ranger WRONG I think.

Our guild has the ability to play the good and the bad, just like other guilds of course. Subsets allow us to be various types of fighters as well. Up in your fact melee/ ranged / mage. I believe the key to being a good ranger, for me, is being true to whatever YOU decide to do with that ranger. If you're a nasty sort, be one and not play hug a tree. I like the way Jalika is played, always have.

Aroamers basically a tree hugger. I like my survivals and could care less about my magics other than defensive spells. I'm no Xelten with magics or Aleyden with....everything. Aroamer likes his bow, but is surely a melee fighter. He's a Emerald Knight and mentor on and off duty. Anyway, I don't think there is any wrong way to play a ranger, other than to try to raise someone from the dead. That though would just be mental issue to take up with the player not the character, heh.

No ranger stands alone.
Re: Rangers and the Balance 02/03/2010 10:16 PM CST
I'll amend by respectable I don't mean upright citizen. I don't mind a sneaky assassin type. Mostly respectable not a lewd womanizing drunk. =)

Jalika

Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Ragran's pockets and carefully grab a platinum.
Re: Rangers and the Balance 02/04/2010 05:45 AM CST
There are also rangers who are hunters. The predators that keep their unnatural prey from overrunning the world and destroying the balance.

Barn will only hunt critters that spawn rarely or that are not twisted by evil out of necessity. Monsters that breed so quickly they overwhelm their territory must be kept in check. Creatures of fell design are a blight on the world. Undead are an affront to the balance of nature.

The goal shouldn't be to purge necromancy from the world, as that will only lead to false complacency. Once Lyras is destroyed and the balance starts to heal, necromancers should never be allowed to so cast things awry again, but they should always serve as a reminder of what almost happened.

-pete
Re: Rangers and the Balance 02/04/2010 07:35 AM CST
>>The goal shouldn't be to purge necromancy from the world, as that will only lead to false complacency.

I agree, necromancy will never be purged from the world. It was here long before Lyras and will remain long afetr she is gone.

>>Once Lyras is destroyed and the balance starts to heal

Maybe. I really think even with Lyras gone there will always be something to replace her. I don't believe Lyras is the true strength behind the evil. I think Lyras is just a pawn. A rather huge pawn, but none the less a tool used by something bigger and more evil.

I have to say even with Lyras out of the way there will be other perverse and even the philosphers to deal with. A redeemed necromancer still has the ability to go back to becomming perverse as well so the threat is here to stay. I would encourage the ranger council to not focus so much on destroying the sources, but to find a way to combat them. We really have no spells to combat anything and have to rely on our blades and bows.

If we are really going to have a war party and go out to destroy Lyras I fear rangers alone will not accomplish this. We'll need the clerics protection and thier spells. Something like this would need to be a joint operations with various guilds to have a wide variety of skills and power. Again, it can be done of course. I think even with Lyras out of the way someone or something else will step up to take over her place.

No ranger stands alone.
Re: Rangers and the Balance 02/04/2010 08:01 AM CST
>Maybe. I really think even with Lyras gone there will always be something to replace her. I don't believe Lyras is the true strength behind the evil. I think Lyras is just a pawn. A rather huge pawn, but none the less a tool used by something bigger and more evil.

It will take time for that to happen. In the mean time, nature can begin to recover. With the constant threat of necromancers, the next Lyras will have a much more difficult time growing to power.

-pete
Re: Rangers and the Balance 02/04/2010 09:03 AM CST
I have ponder as a player, and through my characters prospective about the Balance a lot.

Pretty much it comes down to, Too much of anything is a bad thing.

Rangers Protect the Wilderness from development of the races. Too many big cities can ruin nature just as much as the undead. Lucky none of the Prov's suffer from insane expansionism. (This Balance has been pretty much maintained)

Rangers act as protectors of the cities from the wilderness. Nature is composed of several components, trolls, goblins, are natural creatures, but they cannot be allowed to go rampant and destroy the balance. Which is why hunting down trolls, and other creatures play into the natural role of a ranger. Yet these creatures at sometime or another given intelligence can be bargain with which would also protect the balance. (We don't really have a underpopulation or overpopulation mechanic for under-hunted or over-hunted areas... really don't want one but RP wise it made sense.)

Then there is rangers defending against the unnatural. Undead is unnatural no matter if it occurs or not by divine means or not. The natural cycle is things are born, they live, they die. Necromancy poses a direct threat to The Balance because it disrupts the natural cycle of nature.

Nature in Elanthia is a FORCE, rather or not its a divine force is another debate, but the force can be interrupted and a sever interruption in this force can lead to things like the land dying... orbecoming wild or evil like the Dark Hand. Undead generally are a byproduct or a direct cause of the interruption of Nature.

By upsetting the balance, there is a cascade effect which we might not see directly due to IG mechanics, but the nature around great concentrations of undead or corruption magic can cause the nature to twist and become corrupted itself.

Which is really why the undead are a taint and a danger to the balance, while it might occur infrequently in nature alone/divine. Lyras has become something of a direct violation of nature. As the Ranger Guild Stands to Preserve the Balance, Lyras has really taken a position to destroy the balance, and everything. Rather or not she is the force behind it, she currently is the Source of the greatest amount of undead there is. No matter how many undead we can kill Lyras can make more seemingly faster than we can kill.

So yes there are plenty of aspects a ranger can devote their life to, in preservation of The Balance.

Lyras at this time threatens to destroy it all, so there will be no balancing the equation. Nature is a powerful force, i guess the unnatural is the direct counter to Natural force, but all we care about is balancing the Natural, while eliminating that which is Unnatural.

Pretty much THE BALANCE IS COMPLEX!

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: Rangers and the Balance 02/04/2010 09:22 AM CST
>>DAE83's post

Yup pretty much sum's up my views as well. I would only edit the fact that there is too much focus on Lyras, the real problem is the demonic forces behind her which have chosen to use her to manifest themselves/itself here. Picture God's and Demons matching off in a breakdance battle, nature would the stage getting blasted by the combatants. With holes being punched in planes, and divine/demonic powers scarring the very ground we can only assume that the natural order itself is on the verge of snapping. This could be what the demons wanted all along, or just a nasty side effect of trying to "come out" into our plane.

Sorry to sidetrack, but yeah. Its not Lyras anymore, from OOC knowledge we've been pretty well told she's not in full control anymore and perhaps wont even make it out of this. The real problem is the demonic ability to manifest their power here, which is really not a new threat. IE: Dragon Priest/Dark Hand, Sinthsia/Forest of Night, Maelshyve/Zalfung Swamps, Sidhlot/Iron Clan etc.

Play the game!
Re: Rangers and the Balance 02/04/2010 09:57 AM CST
<<Yup pretty much sum's up my views as well. I would only edit the fact that there is too much focus on Lyras, the real problem is the demonic forces behind her which have chosen to use her to manifest themselves/itself here.>>

While I agree yes the power behind Lyras is fearsome. She is what is linking the Demonic force to this plane at the moment. It may find a new link but for the time being, Lyras skill before she was a puppet was astounding for a Necromancer. She raised an army of undead destoryed two strong races, and drove them from their homeland before she was a mindless puppet.

With Lyras gone, the demonic force would have to find another junction to this plane, which gives rangers time to destroy the rest of her army without it being resurrected and begin repairing the damage she has done. Restoring the Balance for a time.

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: Rangers and the Balance 02/04/2010 10:52 AM CST
From the other side of the ball:

Remove the ability to link/manifest itself. Lyras falls, the amy falls, Elanthia presses the win button. There are plenty who would take Lyras power, and I'm sure the Hunger would not have a small list of applicants. So the problem does not vanish with the person.

Play the game!
Re: Rangers and the Balance 02/04/2010 01:46 PM CST
<<There are plenty who would take Lyras power, and I'm sure the Hunger would not have a small list of applicants. So the problem does not vanish with the person.>>

I doubt there are that many people who would give up total control of their body and soul, for power.

What is power if you cannot be the one to use it? So it would take someone massively insane, or without much other choice to be willing to become the next Lyras.

Sure there might be a few, but I think there is a good reason that only one of the NecroLords known have really made a deal with a demon, and they died for it. The other is Lyras.

>
Re: Rangers and the Balance 02/05/2010 07:33 PM CST
Wow you all are such philosophers! And I don't mean the scholarly philosophers some necros are playing. As far as Zinaca is concerned...she feels that Nature always tries to find the best balance and rangers should help it do that. That said, she feels that left unchecked, the necromancers would warp Nature so much, nothing we do will help it. So if she sees a necro, she will try to kill him/her. If she sees Lyras, she will run and hide behind Aleyden. And periodically, she hunts the undead that are spawning. But she isn't going out of her way just yet. She is hoping for rangers to gain more skill in spells or beseeches against them and wouldn't mind at all, a joint venture with the clerics and paladins. Right now, she just knows her skills are pathetic against them.

Now question---I was under the impression, that spawn of undead, needed necros nearby to animate them...so how are the many undead getting away with constant spawning and no necros around?

Anyway, enjoyed the meeting and if Zinaca was too talkative, blame her player--I hate caffeine highs.

Zinaca and her wolf, Lucky
Re: Rangers and the Balance 02/05/2010 09:28 PM CST
>Now question---I was under the impression, that spawn of undead, needed necros nearby to animate them...so how are the many undead getting away with constant spawning and no necros around?

I'm guess because of the Hunger and spiritual necromancy Lyras no longer obeys mortal limitations.

-pete
Re: Rangers and the Balance 02/06/2010 04:35 PM CST
I was thinking of a sect of rogue rangers
rangers that harness nature for their own ends
a group that has pulled away from the guild leaders vision
with a slightly different set of beseeches and spells
and a rogue guild leader
make the rogue leader part of the ranger camp
or
make marion the rogue leader
otherwise rogue rangers would have all the same mechanics
or only give them maybe 2-3 different spells and beseeches
otherwise they get the same spells as rangers
I mean really they would be rangers and start off as normal rangers
make it a 50+ circle fork
where they can chose to become rogue or stay on the straight and narrow
that way at one time all rangers started out the same
and in order to take the fork another rogue ranger has to lead you to the rogue guild leader
make rogue rangers sort of the slippery slope
the goal is the same... the protection of nature... but rogue rangers choose a more harsh means of enforcement
the penalty for such a path would be a lower limit to their bonus

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: Rangers and the Balance 02/06/2010 04:38 PM CST
My apologies, that last post was very hashed together, but I wanted to see what everyone thought about it, please post or aim me your ideas/thoughts (PurnayEndela)

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: Rangers and the Balance 02/07/2010 09:35 AM CST
While its a clever idea, I dont really see the need to "fraction" the guild into different aspects. I think its important to keep in mind that your sect or clan probably wont have access to special skills or functions. Nor do I personally think it should. I personally see it as more of a "RP choice" and less of a "How can I get the most out of the mechanics?" If you make any one option seem better then others you run the risk of everyone choosing that option, thus negating the purpose of having a selection in the first place.

I'm under the impression that sects within their guild should reflect how you DO play, not how you WANT to play. So you love magic/stealths/animals more then other Rangers, thats cool. Should you get access to anything special because of it? Other then being in the sect and perhaps some post/pre titles and sect-only items, no. No bonus to skills, no special spells, no change in what you are as a Ranger. You just happen to be a Range who likes to focus on whatever it is that you love.

and...

>>a group that has pulled away from the guild leaders vision

I dont think this would fly. Insted of pulling away from the Guild Leaders, a better idea would be to see how your proposed RP fits with what you think their vision is. Pulling away makes you heretics, in a sense, are you sure you would want that? I could see alot of players trying to go down this path and giving alot of QQ when other guildmembers start giving them some gruff.

Sects and sub-structures should work in tandem with the guild itself, not attempt to go into left field and thus seperate themselves from the Guild they claim to be in the first place.

Play the game!
Re: Rangers and the Balance 02/08/2010 06:34 PM CST
>If you make any one option seem better then others you run the risk of everyone choosing that option, thus negating the purpose of having a selection in the first place.

I think that's a very real concern. I like the idea of having different groups of rangers who share common bonds, but I wouldn't like one to become 'superior' than others as a byproduct of mechanics. Titles, fluff verbs, RP are all strong enough reasons for me to choose a group if they were available.

I'm also a sucker for the ole No Ranger Stands Alone, and while I enjoy RPing a ranger who doesn't follow the same old beaten path, Jal is very much proud of being a ranger and supporting fellow rangers. I'm more for diverse unity instead of breaking everyone apart further.

Jalika

Re: Rangers and the Balance 03/26/2010 07:01 PM CDT
<<Be a Robin Hood and teal from the rich to help the poor>>

Its funny that you mention Robin Hood here...

I tried to look for the notes from the first Ranger meeting I was at back in 96. I can't recall where the log I have is, but in any case, it was mentioned there by our first Ranger Guru, Treveri.

He looked at Rangers as a combination of Robin Hood, Snake Pliskin, and another (I can never remember the third).

In any case, regardless of how things are, there are always going to be Rangers who are Rangers because they are Rangers. I'm still trying to catch up on the whole necromancer thing, but it sounds to me as if its more than just a Ranger issue, though it does cause significant trouble to Nature's Balance.

At times I felt out of sorts because I use a longbow, many times other bow types were used by many because they were better. Though now fletched Ranger bows are the best and so Rangers, among others, seem to have gone back to them. Not to mention, sniping, etc., having benefits.

Of course even now I look at my skills and being circle 52 and it doesn't seem like much compared to so many others who are in the hundreds, or close to it. With that one of my goals as a Ranger was to get 100 ranks in each weapon type, just because they are there. Yet another thing that so many have accomplished at this point I'm guessing. heh.

I wouldn't know what the heck "kind" of Ranger I am, other than Just a Ranger. Others might describe better... (Yeah yeah, I know, "Older than dirt" and "helped other Rangers of his day make FIRE" Ranger)

Hawkman

"B. R."
Re: Rangers and the Balance 03/27/2010 02:07 AM CDT
You are "Older than dirt" Hawkman! We all know it.

Nuich

"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is."
-- The Outlaw Josey Wales
Re: Rangers and the Balance 03/30/2010 08:58 PM CDT
You train the way you want to. That's what I love about the guild. And if it makes you feel better--80th circle is now the new 20th. : D I thought, way back when I was 35th or there abouts, that when I hit upper circles, I would be on exotic isles hunting things I can't spell let alone pronounce. I'm still on the mainland hunting (though I did make it to Adan'fs--another goal).

BTW, I love your B.R. I try to remember to say it as a parting goodbye, but habit makes me say "Safe paths, but those are boring". But I love it.

Looking forward to seeing you swim at the river. Oh yeah, and if this doesn't beat all...the other day, I saw a trader swimming and his CARAVAN was swimming right behind him! Damn those yaks can swim! I want wolves to swim too.

Anyway, glad to have you back.

Zinaca and her wolf, Lucky
Re: Rangers and the Balance 03/30/2010 11:16 PM CDT
<<BTW, I love your B.R. I try to remember to say it as a parting goodbye, but habit makes me say "Safe paths, but those are boring". But I love it.>>

thanks, I'm honored and humbled to even be remembered after so long. Its a good feeling to have had an impact on something even a decade later.

<<And if it makes you feel better--80th circle is now the new 20th.>>

Darn, now I'm back to 6th circle then? (53ish) ;-)

I have been doing some training though, both back training and main skills training. Its phenomenal how much the ability to learn and train has increased since "back then." (Back when an 11th Circle Ranger was the awe of the masses)

Hawkman

"Be Rangerly." - (I fashioned this after hearing Tabac say "Be Lucky." about 10 times...the same guy who gave me a silver Ranger ring my first week in the guild just because I was a Ranger and I still wear it.)

Tabac even had a bag that was altered to have a note on the inside of it saying "If you can't be good...Be Lucky." heh.
Re: Rangers and the Balance 03/31/2010 06:24 AM CDT
>(Back when an 11th Circle Ranger was the awe of the masses)

Heh. And counted skinning ranks in deaths instead of pulses.

Welcome back!

-pete
Re: Rangers and the Balance 03/31/2010 12:17 PM CDT
Heh. And counted skinning ranks in deaths instead of pulses.

Welcome back!

-pete

Heh, and spending an hour picking flowers barely moved forage.

One of the best things about the changes has been the new experience system tweaks. Makes playing the game a lot more enjoyable. Also, having the skills drain while logged off.

Thanks Zeyurn, Armifer, Audacia and oh everyone!