New Stuff 04/06/2018 08:39 PM CDT
Any word on new stuff for Rangers this year?
Re: New Stuff 04/07/2018 12:56 AM CDT
There is a rewritten Awaken Forest coming soon, which took longer than I anticipated because it ended up becoming a broader rebalancing of all spell-based combat pets. Along with it, there is a new version of Plague of Scavengers that turns the AF spawn into a powerful undead killer.

Other than those, a batch of spell changes and new spells has been approved. I'm hesitant to add details as I'm having second thoughts on some of them, but if you really really like Devitalize's secondary effect or Devolve, now is a good time to tell me!

GM Grejuva
Re: New Stuff 04/07/2018 08:10 AM CDT
*Thank you for working on Rangers! I hope this is the start of a great partnership where player feedback can help guide the direction of development for the guild!*

>There is a rewritten Awaken Forest coming soon, which took longer than I anticipated because it ended up becoming a broader rebalancing of all spell-based combat pets.

Interesting. Can you share more information about this? Pets based on tert skills can be... well, I love that something is getting worked on! Will it go into DRtest before going live?

>Along with it, there is a new version of Plague of Scavengers that turns the AF spawn into a powerful undead killer.

Dig the concept of buffing our pets. I unleaded AF a long time ago. Can the new version have MAF and Instinct and other buff spells cast on it to make them less squishy?

>Other than those, a batch of spell changes and new spells has been approved. I'm hesitant to add details as I'm having second thoughts on some of them, but if you really really like Devitalize's secondary effect or Devolve, now is a good time to tell me!

I unlearned Devolve as there is no need to spend mana on -stats when you can just spend that time/mana on sleeping/webbing the target. DEVI is a decent TM spell (especially for a tert guild) but I usually stick to stampede (b/c multi shot) or lightning bolt (b/c magic prime spells >> magic tert spells even with the penalties from sorcery). The fatigue hit is not noticeable in PvE (I have not tested it in PvP).

Please don't take this the wrong way as I am thrilled Rangers are getting attention, but as "time to work on Rangers" presents itself, I hope that more than our tertiary skill set gets attention. Our guild skill could use a real reason to train it and our guild signature ability set is laughably antiquated. I long for a reason to use beseeches. And I want beseeches to be both powerful and reflective of the lore and history of the guild.

~~Hunter Hanryu
>Everything Rangers have is just a lame version of something cool. ~Morkim
Re: New Stuff 04/07/2018 11:00 AM CDT
Thank you for the prompt response.

In theory, Devolve as a stat reducer is nice, but most serious combat does not last long enough for it to matter. There are times when I am "dancing" to learn certain skills, and the fine tuning the critter stats is nice, but there are other ways to do that too, such as by more careful selection of the dancing partner. I do think that it is hard to really learn target well unless we include spells from other guilds. My target spell of choice is TKT. Devi, EC and CAC are too slow and more critter specific than TKT.

I was hoping to hear that some more work had been completed on allowing FTP Adventures to learn beseeches, etc. by temporarily traveling to other provinces in the same way that certain guilds can now. Of course, that is not perhaps of interest to most players. On the other hand, I am very glad to hear pet-work is being done, and having an undead killer spell is cool.
Re: New Stuff 04/07/2018 12:39 PM CDT
>>Can you share more information about this?

Cyclic, no cooldown, new engagement logic, high threat. New abilities with PLS.

>>Will it go into DRtest before going live?

Certainly.

>>Can the new version have MAF and Instinct and other buff spells cast on it to make them less squishy?

No, but it's much more defense-oriented and has a shield.

>>Please don't take this the wrong way as I am thrilled Rangers are getting attention, but as "time to work on Rangers" presents itself, I hope that more than our tertiary skill set gets attention.

Maybe. No active development there, but we have a new internal concept for the Ranger's alliance with nature that's going to be less nebulous and have great lore implications. You'll hopefully see it unfold over time.

GM Grejuva
Re: New Stuff 04/07/2018 01:58 PM CDT
It possible to throw a Ranger Cyclical AOE TM in the vein of USOL? Asking for a friend.

[18:14] Chatter[Raesh] >perc nature
[18:15] Chatter[Raesh] You sense you should just howl.
Re: New Stuff 04/09/2018 06:47 AM CDT

>>a broader rebalancing of all spell-based combat pets.

Can you expound on this at all?
Re: New Stuff 04/09/2018 11:04 AM CDT
>>Can you expound on this at all?

Without providing numbers, there's not much to say right now that would be helpful. We're centralizing how a combat pet's base skills and stats are derived from TM, while still allowing for strengths and specialties. More when it's all in Test.

>>It possible to throw a Ranger Cyclical AOE TM in the vein of USOL?

Nope. An altogether different kind of AoE? Quite possible!

GM Grejuva
Re: New Stuff 04/09/2018 11:32 AM CDT
<<but if you really really like Devitalize's secondary effect or Devolve, now is a good time to tell me!>>

Not a Ranger, but as an Empath who doesn't use sorcery I do have a level of interest in Ranger spells. I do kind of like the fatigue hit on Devitalize, but wouldn't be devastated if it went away. It seems to have a hilariously potent synergy with Lethargy that basically prevents the creature from ever recovering from the complete exhaustion. More often than not this just ends up hurting my defensive experience gain though, since exhausted creatures seem to never attack.

The Plague of Scavengers thing sounds cool. How specific is it to Awaken Forest? I'm wondering if I should get my hopes up that it might also be able to enhance my Guardian Spirit against the undead. Wishful thinking, I'm sure; honestly I'd rather just get our own direct TM spell against undead anyway, but I digress. Either way, the combat pet rebalancing should be interesting, and I look forward to more details when the time comes.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor

Re: New Stuff 04/10/2018 02:42 AM CDT
I like the theme of Devolve but agree it's all but useless for both PvE and PvP. Any way the concept can be worked into an immobilization spell?

I completely forgot Devitalize did fatigue damage as well, that's how frequently it was relevant. I'd happily trade that for a minor bump in damage, or some other secondary effect. A cold multi-strike spell would be useful, even if it's just a second, weaker shot.
Re: New Stuff 04/10/2018 11:17 AM CDT
>>The Plague of Scavengers thing sounds cool. How specific is it to Awaken Forest? I'm wondering if I should get my hopes up that it might also be able to enhance my Guardian Spirit against the undead.

It's a signature spell. GS's undead perk is the ability to use blessed weapons.

>>I like the theme of Devolve but agree it's all but useless for both PvE and PvP. Any way the concept can be worked into an immobilization spell?

I have something more unique in mind.

>>I completely forgot Devitalize did fatigue damage as well, that's how frequently it was relevant. I'd happily trade that for a minor bump in damage, or some other secondary effect.

The current idea is to have it deal increased vitality damage, in keeping with the spell name.

GM Grejuva
Re: New Stuff 04/10/2018 01:20 PM CDT
It would be funny if devolve made targets so dumb they forget how spells/meditations/khri/etc worked.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: New Stuff 04/10/2018 06:21 PM CDT
Could Devolved be used to turn animal races into their proto- forms? Like kittehs, and puppies, lizards, and other various mammal things?

[18:14] Chatter[Raesh] >perc nature
[18:15] Chatter[Raesh] You sense you should just howl.
Re: New Stuff 04/10/2018 10:17 PM CDT
>I have something more unique in mind.

Neat! I look forward to seeing it.

>The current idea is to have it deal increased vitality damage, in keeping with the spell name.

That is reasonable and thematic, thanks.
Re: New Stuff 04/11/2018 08:31 AM CDT
>The current idea is to have it deal increased vitality damage, in keeping with the spell name.

Really like the idea of this tool. Particularly with the way vitality acts as a damage buffer, being able to target that resource pool will be potentially very useful.

~Hunter Hanryu
>Everything Rangers have is just a lame version of something cool.
~Morkim
Re: New Stuff 09/14/2018 11:18 AM CDT
>>Nope. An altogether different kind of AoE? Quite possible!

Sorry for bringing back an old thread from several months ago, but I was about to post asking about this subject and figured I would read a few "recent" posts first.

Having recently returned, I was hoping to see that we had some kind of AOE damage. Are there any plans to give Rangers AOE damage, and if so, any hints about what it might be, or when we could start to see it?

Thanks!