SOTT 12/02/2017 09:36 AM CST
Has anyone noticed that casting SOTT has a chance to backfire more often? I was with another ranger and she was backfiring SOTT more often than usual. I noticed the same thing for me as well. When I discern SOTT I receive the message that I can cast it with 68 more mana than the minimum required. My script has me casting it at 60 more mana than required. I cast in glowing or better power rooms, but yesterday I backfired SOTT when I did that.

I have not backfired SOTT for a long time before yesterday. Just wondering if something changed that I'm not aware of.

Bluefalcon
Re: SOTT 12/02/2017 11:27 AM CST

Imperceptible nerve damage?
Re: SOTT 12/02/2017 12:26 PM CST
<<Imperceptible nerve damage?>>

Don't think so as I was healed up just before I cast it.

Bluefalcon
Re: SOTT 12/02/2017 02:26 PM CST
Keep in mind that there's always a random chance to backfire, even if you're casting below what DISCERN suggests. I regularly cast spells 10 below the suggested level to avoid this, sometimes more. The chance decreases the lower you go, but you may not have gone low enough to eliminate it entirely.

- Navesi
Re: SOTT 12/03/2017 11:01 PM CST

I have noticed backfiring some spells based on location lately. I suspect but cant prove at this point that the actual mana in the room is now affecting the cast in a slightly different way than it was say 2 months ago, specially when you are casting close to max. Not sure what changed but with any luck it may have to do with something related to enchanting. I have actually had to check the mana in the room lately to make sure its at least fairly decent.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.