Companions 02/27/2003 06:34 AM CST
Hello folks,

After pouring over tons of companion and trailmarker code, I have found how 99 percent of you who have lost companions, lost them.

Trails and companions don't mix. Period. The reason behind this is, It takes from(let's us random numbers here) 30 seconds to 3 minutes to run some of the trails. What is happening on some of these larger trails is, you basically out pace the companion and go beyond it's range to keep up with you. Yes there is a distance factor. So if you get too far away from your companion there is a good chance you will lose it.

Also, if you go into a room with a companion that has no visible exits,(let's say a room that you have to search out the exits and you leave that room, there is a good chance that you will lose the companion there also. Geni's is a prime example( the hack areas mainly).

So what does this mean? Basically, you need to treat PTM's and RTM's and rooms with no visible exits like the barge and other areas that most of you have known about for years. We will not be replacing anymore companions if you run trails with them out, if you lose them in the Geni area etc..

IS this a BUG...NO it is not. Companion code has not been touched in years in some cases, they are working as intended. This is just one of those things that you as rangers should work to find out when and where to take them.

Once we start redoing the companion stuff, we will look into making additions and changes to the way they act. But for now, you will need to be very very careful with them.

For those of you that did not get any messaging when you lost yours, this is happening because of the area you are in.

If anyone else loses a companion, please post in the companion folder these things...

1) What you were doing.
2) Copy and paste of room.
3) How long you had it out.
4) Last time it was fed.
5) Of course your player name.

This will help me look into why these companions don't like certain areas.

Sincerely

Raenek
Companions 06/15/2005 02:11 AM CDT
Hey there,

I just released a small change to our existing companions. You can now SIGNAL a baby or a raccoon (or a wolf for that matter) to SLEEP. This will cause the companion to leave the room and go off and sleep. OOC, this prevents you from having to log out and back in to the game to get rid of your companion. Thanks go to Edahla for pointing me towards this change.

Cheers,

BrewMaster Paklin
Poll - Companions vs Trails 12/19/2010 11:22 PM CST
This was mentioned at the recent meeting. Please vote.

1) Trails 2.0
2) Companions 2.0

Both are time-intensive, companions more-so. These are the only choices I'm giving you in this poll... vote!

Do I need to say it? Respond in the "Responses to GM and Official Announcements" folder, of course!

- GM Sithix

If you'd stop finding bugs I could code Companions 2.0.
Re: Poll - Companions vs Trails 12/27/2010 07:12 AM CST
The poll is over; Companions wins by far.

Companions - 24
Trails - 10

- GM Sithix

If you'd stop finding bugs I could code Companions 2.0.
Companions 12/31/2010 09:01 AM CST
Alrighty, we're officially out of the gate on rewriting Companions.

This is another poll or inquiry, sort of.

What (if anything at all) do you folks actually like about the current companions?

For example, presuming you can train companions various things and abilities and whatnot (a good, say, 30x as much as you have today or more) regardless of "development stage", what about companion "acquisition" and "development stages" (Baby -> Young -> Etc) do you really like? Sorta like? Hate? Etc. And on and on. That's just one random example. I'm going to presume there aren't that many things that folks really like.

Since I posted the last poll here and in the Plat boards, and everybody responded here, I'm just going to leave this in one place.

GM Sithix