Birds of prey 06/28/2019 11:20 PM CDT
Maybe a falcon?

*whistle for falcon*

name shrilly whistles, down from the skies comes a falcon at full speed talons extended. Suddenly it pulls up and lands on name's shoulder.

This is where it would sit. This way it cant be left behind at the ferries etc. We can take it hunting, maybe train falconry.

then we whistle for falcon again to get it to go hunt on its own. It can do the same as the wolf, delivery system. But throw in a bonus and let us see and hear through the hawk. Maybe even talk? I know its sounding a lot like a fam, but when you grovel ask for the moon right?
Re: Birds of prey 06/29/2019 04:43 AM CDT
It would be nice if companions like the falcon or wolf could be used to summon critters into a hunting area (i.e. signal companion to scout prey), in a similar way that the hollow eve 428 egg can be invoked to summon prey. Another useful function would be for companions to reduce the time it takes to run trails (perhaps a bonus based on outdoorsmanship). Also, passive skill training in tactics while in combat, as well as aided function when attempting to use the flee command.

In my opinion companions should not engage directly in combat, but should provide added benefits through passive messaging, affecting critters that are engaged with you. Distracting an enemy to improve your combat position is the most obvious choice here, but other ideas mentioned before like pulling you out of melee if you become stunned is also a great idea. This would train tactics in a passive manner, saving time on having to use combat maneuvers.
Re: Birds of prey 06/29/2019 04:56 AM CDT
Also, using your companion to scout for prey could train scouting and perception in a passive manner while in combat.
Re: Birds of prey 06/29/2019 06:55 AM CDT
>It would be nice if companions like the falcon or wolf could be used to summon critters into a hunting area

That's a brilliant idea. Having a wolf flush prey out would be amazing.

~Hunter Hanryu
>Everything Rangers have is just a lame version of something cool.~Morkim
Re: Birds of prey 06/29/2019 06:49 PM CDT

I think companions should be entirely rethought, as well as general design of the game as a whole. You don't need a ridiculously complicated system that will take 10 years to write to bring value and use to the class. Do something like this instead.

1. Throw out companion system. Just toss it out. Anyone who "whistles" for their companion just see the lost message or be told that it's been eaten. (Anyone still have companions?)
2. Take the existing pet system used for MT events (tier 3 cat as a template). Copy/paste it.
3. Create 7 new to replace cat, details below, for each pet and make this a template.
4. Copy the pet sack, give it a "ranger only" feel, and remove the clean verb.
5. Take 7 non-random rooms in the game, and modify the search in that room if searching with a ranger.
6. Each room has a different requirement (scouting & perception & minimum nature bonus). You can type search in this room.
6a. If you pass and search in that room then you see, "you see the tracks of a friendly <animal>."
6b. Otherwise, you're told, "you see faint tracks but you can't quite make them out."
7. If 6a is successful, you can type "track <animal>".
7a. If you have an appropriate <home> and no other animals then you see, "You follow the tracks and fine a lone <baby|young|adult|senile> <animal>. As if instinct, it approaches you slowly and <jumps in/lays/climbs into> the <home> within your hand."
8. It's now your special pet.
9. Get the pet. Drop pet.
10. When it atmos, it gives you a buff, like the earcuffs or mana bracelets or whatever.

Entry level (cantrip level buffs)
10a. Raccoon - when pulses, it forages a random item. You see, "the raccoon roots around until it finds a/an <foragable>."
10b. Eagle - when pulses, it clears away junk. No effort compost. You see, "the eagle dives nearby, searching for shiny trinkets baubles."
10f. Wolf - when pulses, it tells you someone is hiding or invis in the room. If no one, you see, "the wolf wanders suspiciously around the area." If someone is hiding, you see, "the wolf bares it's teeth with a snarl."

Advanced level (minor mechanical buffs)
10c. Forest Gremlin - when pulses, your bleeding wounds clot. You see, "the gremlin spits at you leaving clumps of something behind."
10d. Ferret - when pulses, you get a thievery buff. You see, "the ferret rushes around the area causing a minor ruckus."
10e. Skunk - when pulses, you get a "rouse/anti-stun" effect. It tries to break stuns/awaken you. You see, "the skunk sprays a small amount of steam in your direction. It stinks!"

Mythical level (major mechanical buffs)
10g. Forest Dryad - when pulses, turns on the ranger bonus /gives a bit of nature affinity, regardless of where the ranger is. You see, "The dryad dances around your location, leaving a trail of flowers and grass in their wake."
10h. Sun Vulture - when pulses, it weakens any poison (disease?) afflicting the ranger. You see, "You begin to sweat as the sun vulture flaps it's wings, sending a minor heat wave in your direction."
10i. Spring Nyad - when pulses, it puts out any fires and removes naptha. You see, "The nyad stares at you, mumbling under her breath. Your body is coated with an unusual liquid which evaporates just as quickly as it arrived."

11. When you want a new pet or just get tired of yours taking up bag space, you can bring it to a guild leader. Hold the pet. Give guildleader. You see, "<guildleader> takes the <animal> and nods knowingly." Easy. Copy the spell library code. If you try to do it more than once every 30 days, you see, "<guildleader> shakes <his/her> head and informs you that <he/she> still hasn't found a home for the last animal you put up for adoption. You'll need to hold on to this <animal> a little while longer."

It's also an easy system to expand on, and maybe you can get other animals that do multiples or new abilities.

If 3-7 is still too much work, just copy the cat lady code. And stick them in the room instead. Rangers can "order" from the houndsmater or bunnymaster or falconer or whatever. This builds in player choice, gives a sense of scalability, and uses existing tech to give the ranger something that's uniquely ranger.
Re: Birds of prey 07/02/2019 05:46 PM CDT
While that sounds cool, I think I would want a more touchable pet than an atmo pet. I mean those Passive skills sound Amazing. You know the more I think about it as I write this. If I didn't have to be scared that if I didn't pet or feed it ever 30 seconds that I would lose it I would take that system over the system now, 100%

"We don't have a room up here with a giant radar screen with little colored blips scattered all over the place timing how long it takes TGG to remove TBG from sector J-6."
"Well, I mean, we have the room with the screen and the lights and all."-UnnamedGM
Re: Birds of prey 07/16/2019 09:11 AM CDT

Wow - It's like you were reading my mind. I have been thinking about this for some time, and thought it would be really appropriate for rangers to have a bird of prey as a companion. Thank you for suggesting this!

And I kind of agree on companions being revamped completely. I've been debating getting a wolf, but honestly, it doesn't seem much point to getting a raccoon or a wolf.
They seem extremely environmentally sensitive, which would be okay if there was a greater reward for having one.

Plus, a bird of prey would fit with my character more.

-- Crowfeet --