Companions had function and value 06/23/2016 11:30 AM CDT
I still really like having a wolf, but I have to say I feel companions seem to no longer be so special and helpful. Rangers used to send their wolves out to find a deader. Then we would track to the wolf. Because of our athletic skills we could drag the deader to a safe location for the healers and clerics to aid the victim. Rangers were very helpful and our companions were part of that. Now rangers can't track over any obstacle to get to the companion and there are obstacles every 10 or 15 rooms (rangers can no longer track past most obstacles. At least I can't with over 500 in tracking), so rangers are really unable to use companions as trackers.

When a "bad" guy attacked a ranger or a ranger friend, the ranger could send the wolf after the bad guy and and track to the wolf to find the bad guy. Now even if the bad guy hasn't reached any barriers the round time to track takes so long it is MUCH faster to just walk and the bad guy is usually long gone or.

Companions used to be special for rangers because they were "companions" and made rangers kind of special. Now you can have a pet pig or other critter that fills that purpose too.

I wish companions had more function again. It would be nice if companions helped the rangers more or contributed more to the ranger role so rangers had more relevance in the realm.

Just a few thoughts that stay with me and I felt should be expressed.
Re: Companions had function and value 06/24/2016 03:07 PM CDT
I know that there is work going on behind the scenes to improve quality of life with companions and thank you to those involved in making that happen.

If there are time/resources for a round of changes/improvements to companions after the QoL updates, I'd like to see some functional uses for companions. Obviously combat companions would be amazing, but that would be a major change that those on high would have to approve (i.e., I'm not expecting it in my lifetime). Beyond combat capabilities, I'd be 100% okay with a re-skinned version of WM familiars if that's what we have access to. It'd be cool if companions could be like fams but stealthy with their ability to hide based off the Ranger's outdoorsmanship/stealth in some way.
Re: Companions had function and value 06/24/2016 05:08 PM CDT

Warrior mage companions on the top end give minor buffs to spellcasting. I wonder if we could see something similar with survivals.

There are lots of ways this could be implemented. Reusing or reskinning the warrior mage fir-fam quest. It could be a reskin or the same quest, just have that one NPC exchange your wolf for something new. If that encroaches too much on homogenization then go to a certain room, add a random atmo message, and make the ranger whistle or hum the right tune to attract the animal. One of three things could happen. There would be four checks after the message. The message only occurs if you don't have a companion, and haven't tried to get one of these companions in a long time (1 month between attempts, befriend or fail (post search) - not release).

Once you found the right room,
1. First a search / perception check (think pig/rat mechanics),
2. Second a timed combat check (random summon of a tough flex mob),
3. Animal lore check (kill the mob quickly enough and approach the animal),
4. And a first aid check (tend the animal).
5. If you don't pet the animal quickly enough, it'll hobble away and you can search again.

For fun, copy the treasure map mechanics and make the room move, but let the "track wounded" verb point you in the right direction (trains scouting, longer distances are harder/reward more xp). This lets you find the room in a reasonable amount of time.

The companion generated is random. Some more rare than others. They're essentially copies of each other with a different noun, potentially different adjectives. Or to be completely different from warrior mages, they could offer more tangible bonuses that are significant to show the ranger's tie to their familiar. Bonus could be random or dependant on the creature. There's a tactics check for success, animal lore check to allow you to make it happen rather than random. Decent CDs between use.

Bonuses:
* Serpent: Distracts the creature you're facing, putting you at it's flank.
* Monkey: Slips something in your hand when you try to steal it (Causes the shopkeeper to blame the monkey rather than you if caught.)
* Hare: Very fast - always succeeds hangback (prevents something from fleeing the room if you're hiding - they go for the hare instead).
* Tiger: Licks your wounds (vitality recovery)
* Pygmie Hippo: Takes a bite out of something you stun or injure (+damage) (it's a think. Look it up. You'll want one)
* Giant wasp: Gives your target weak nerve poison.
* Dire wolf: Occasionally runs off and brings you a dead creature of the kind that you're in. (something you can skin/loot - throw it a treat).
* Giant Spider: Your spider can see in the dark, and you can signal it to guide you (see in the dark until you move).

I don't know. Just spit-balling here.