Companion...no companion 09/12/2011 10:18 PM CDT
What is the huge deal with companions, i am a new ranger, but all i keep hearing is how companions are useless. You have to find one, feed it, pet it, burp it, tuck it in at night, and cook it breakfast. But what does a companion do for us thats USEFULL. Warrior mages get familiars, empaths get their creepy avengers, and moon mages get some sort of shadowling creatures. They barely do any upkeep AT ALL on their critters but can use them for as much or more functions then ours. Can we use companions in battle? Can our companions drag our bodies back to the guild? can they do anything besides be very annoying and whine all the time, causing us to concentrate more on THEM then on our training, whilst also having to carry food around for them. From the information i have been given our companions are useless. Rangers in all forms have been known to be "one with nature" calling on animals to assist them or commune with. We get a racoon and a wolf? What about bears, hawks, lynx, badgers, anything. We are the MOST intune with nature as far as guilds go but warrior mages have better picks than we do.
I guess all im saying is more variety would be nice, and less high maintenance creatures, they arent dumb, raccoons and wolves have been finding their own food for years, why not switch over to a "treat" system to train them, where if they do something "good" they are given a treat.
Re: Companion...no companion 09/13/2011 12:11 AM CDT
Welcome to the guild. If you're close in foraging skill to finding something, the raccoon will sometimes find it for you. You can track wolves to people. They will both do small delivery errands. Other than that....yeah, welcome to the guild.

~V

___

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition."

- Henry V, William Shakespeare
Re: Companion...no companion 09/13/2011 05:30 AM CDT

I appologize for the negativity in my earlier post. But everyone is talking about the NEW system and all the changes but i haven't heard word ONE about a RELIABLE companion system. Though it may not happen id like to see more variety in the companions, LESS maintenance or at least some that makes sense, and MORE actions and activities from the companions. You literally pull your hair out babying some wild animal for what, animal lore? id rather fish. I say give us something to be proud of instead of whiny fluff pets. We're suppose to be the nature dwellers not the warrior mages.
Re: Companion...no companion 09/13/2011 09:38 PM CDT
You've pretty much summed up the great volume of complaints about companions over the past 10 years at least. Well done and, like they said, welcome to the guild!

-Ace
Re: Companion...no companion 09/14/2011 07:19 PM CDT
Companions are as useless today as they were they day they got released.

Perhaps moreso now, since we've had some 10 odd years to identify bugs that still haven't been fixed.

Welcome to Rangering!

No Ranger Stands Alone.
Re: Companion...no companion 09/14/2011 07:42 PM CDT
uh sithix is working on the companion system... I have great faith that he will ACTUALLY get it into place, since it's actually the next guild change that's being worked on for rangers. but sithix is much in demand for all the evil coding of dewm to ensure DR doesn't break... I really really don't want to lose my wolf's ability to follow people anywhere when it's tracking them. it's a nifty thing. and also really like being able to track people down with em, eliminates lotsa need for a moonie. Possativity here people... oh yeah, 10 years of the same stuff welcome to the guild

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: Companion...no companion 09/15/2011 08:32 AM CDT
>really like being able to track people down with em

I believe that should remain.

- GM Sithix
Re: Companion...no companion 09/15/2011 05:13 PM CDT
sithix shall rule the world one day

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: Companion...no companion 09/15/2011 07:08 PM CDT
just wanna say, anyone who doesn't like sithix deserves to be punched in the nose.

~Purnay
Re: Companion...no companion 09/16/2011 12:16 AM CDT
I guess I'm just wierd--I LIKE feeding them, petting them and being with them (except in the many many places they will leave permanently. If the companions could do more useful things, the price of that is being with your companion (getting to know it) and interacting with them. I gotta say though, raccoons and wolves are 2 of the most variety eating critters on earth.

Sithix, really glad you are watching, even if they don't let you play with your ranger coding.

And lest someone tell you differently, I'm NOT a companion killer!

Zinaca and her young raccoon, Shadow
Re: Companion...no companion 09/16/2011 08:21 PM CDT
no she just kills puppies, so make sure the new ones stay away from her

~Purnay
Re: Companion...no companion 09/17/2011 02:19 PM CDT
<<no she just kills puppies, so make sure the new ones stay away from her>>

Purnay, that is a lie! Lucky FELL off the bridge into dancers and since it was my first time there, I had no warning! And just so everyone knows...the wolves are beginning to trust me again...so when Shadow dies...Lucky shall be reborn! Oh and I wanna thank the Gypsy Teamarie for using her silver tongue on my behalf to the wolves. Nothing like having a bard sing her praises...and no I DIDN'T bribe her either.

Zinaca and her young raccoon, Shadow
Re: Companion...no companion 09/18/2011 07:44 PM CDT
>Sithix, really glad you are watching, even if they don't let you play with your ranger coding.

That's coming to an end soon. Also I never totally stopped, just slowed to a crawl. :P

Actually I'm focusing on better puppies for you to kill shortly at close to 100% effort. Except...

Well, anyway, I am looking to get together a list of the certainties about Companions that I can actually tell you. Soon hopefully, even though it will be a short list.

- GM Sithix
Re: Companion...no companion 09/19/2011 12:02 PM CDT
<<Actually I'm focusing on better puppies for you to kill shortly at close to 100% effort.>>

AAAACK! Even Sithix believes the lies! All lies! Actually I'm so glad you are able to even watch let alone try to get some actual ranger work done. Looking forward to your list of companion improvements.

I do hope you have all of the notes on companions gathered over the years. Hope they actually help.

Zinaca and her young raccoon, Shadow (grow grow grow!)
Re: Companion...no companion 09/21/2011 07:37 AM CDT

It's nice to see a moderator actually has responded to my first post in these forums. I really dont care what the list is on companions or how short it is, its still an improvement. But as said before just mull over the huge pile of complaints about companions.
Re: Companion...no companion 09/21/2011 12:11 PM CDT
<<But as said before just mull over the huge pile of complaints about companions.>>

Sithix has already said the new companions won't die and won't poof. Also, he has said there will be a variety of companions in a tiered set like raccoons first and then some other companion could be gotten based on skill or circle? I trust Sithix as he has been very careful of giving his word about something and then keeping it.

Patiently waiting for new companions--perhaps by Christmas? ::ponders gayly wrapped moving Christmas present under the ol' pine tree::

Zinaca and her young raccoon, Shadow who would love cousins to play with