companions 11/25/2008 01:11 PM CST
If and when they actually make companions something more than a cute role-play tool, This is something I would like to see.

To be able to befriend/impress/catch some of the critters in game that are natural neutral aligned creatures such and make them into companions.

For example gryphons would be nice they could fight for you and perhaps act as mounts when they grow into matures. Matures have a fairly impressive knock down attack that is fairly hard to resist or avoid. Also arzumos would be nice with their pouncing hiding attack which even if you can see them coming and they are far below your hunting level can still hit or almost hit at times. For those unfamiliar with Ilithi arzumos are a sort of stealthy feline beast that prowls about near horse clan and before gryphons. Some sort of a reptialian one such as a pivah/latami/shalswar type (though not corrupted by dragon priests) would also be interesting.

Celitha
Re: companions 12/02/2008 07:30 AM CST
I've been playing a ranger for 10 years now and only seen 1 change with companions. If nothing has been done with them by now, I was wondering why this Topic is even a topic and why people even bother?
Grey/brown/scruffy companions 05/20/2010 08:09 AM CDT
Especially after seeing the pins at the fest, it got me thinking that it would be really neat if our companions could at least look a little different from each other. Something like the horse system or warrior mage system uses.

You also see a young soot-colored raccoon.

>l raccoon

The soot-colored raccoon has a small white patch on its left front paw. It is young for a raccoon.
This is why companions suck 02/19/2011 08:37 PM CST
I had my wolf with me. was hunting. ran one trail out of the hunting area and my wolf left. No messages that the wolf needed attention before the trail. The trail is less then 20 seconds. When trail was done, I whistled for wolf and I have no companion. Spent nearly 80 hrs with this wolf, so its a complete waste of time now. This is BS. This needs to be fixed now.

Asterid

Also, please remember to watch the conflicts ~Sidatura
Re: This is why companions suck 02/19/2011 10:20 PM CST
It's not going to be fixed now. It's being rewritten (which will take a while), and that's currently on hold while the GM is getting their RL in order.

I would hope by now most people would know to not go on a trail with their companion out if they care about keeping it.

Falker
Re: This is why companions suck 02/19/2011 10:58 PM CST
Oh Asterid, I share you pain! Haven't done the trail/companion left thing yet...in the last case, I just crossed a bridge and instant death for Lucky. : (

It is really maddening to spend so much time watching and responding to the companion and then to lose it for such mundane things as trail running or passing over a bridge, getting in or out of a boat....

I have faith though that GM Sithix, god bless him...comes back and finishes the coding he has started. It's great that at least there is a proposal that is approved so if Sithix finds he can't come back, there will probably be something, the new GM can work with.

I found killing critters to be really therapeutic after losing a companion. Take care man...big breaths...don't kill the computer yet ok?

Zinaca and her young raccoon, Shadow (I'm still so proud)
Re: This is why companions suck 02/20/2011 12:18 AM CST
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Moon Mages are the new Rangers when it comes to being down-trodden. You must have missed the memo. ;)

(Don't believe me? Go read some of the posts about losing enchanting exclusivity and Locate shifts over in their folders.)

-Evran

Gay, geeky, and a little bit cheeky.
Re: This is why companions suck 02/20/2011 04:37 AM CST
<< green gem pouches, so-on / so-forth.>>

This.. heh.. must be why I never managed to get a wolf past baby.

>look in my case
>In the lockpick case you see a green gem pouch, a green gem pouch, a green gem pouch, a green gem pouch, a green gem pouch, a green gem pouch, a green gem pouch, a green gem pouch, a green gem pouch, a green gem pouch, and a green gem pouch.
Re: This is why companions suck 02/20/2011 09:06 AM CST
>>In the lockpick case you see a green gem pouch, a green gem pouch, a green gem pouch, a green gem pouch, a green gem pouch, a green gem pouch, a green gem pouch, a green gem pouch, a green gem pouch, a green gem pouch, and a green gem pouch.

Green gem pouches absorb the souls of ranger companions like a dry sponge - with the ferocity and vigor of a collapsed star.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!" - Rorschach
Re: This is why companions suck *Post Hidden* 02/20/2011 08:09 PM CST
A post has been hidden.

If you have any questions, please email either myself (DR-Sidatura@play.net) or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl (DR-Annwyl@play.net).

Thanks,
Sidatura
Re: This is why companions suck *Post Hidden* REPOST 02/21/2011 10:38 AM CST
Yeah man that sux - we've all been there.

FYI - Companions will disappear with no explanation for a large variety of reasons, the least of which are you forgot to feed or pet them. Certain portals, certain obstacles, certain weather, bad breath, the number 4, green gem pouches, so-on / so-forth. My set of guidelines for companion use since the introduction DR 2 has been:

1. Companion OUT for as little time as possible. USE, SHELVE.
2. Make sure to have fresh meet carved the instant before summoning.
3. DONT MOVE.
4. Avoid words that begin with consonants.
5. Sanitize hands before summoning.
6. Have bottle of Tequila on hand at all times.

If you follow these simple rules, you will probably still lose your companion at some point for no discernible reason.

<THIS PART REMOVED>

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!" - Rorschach