BeS issue and Ranger bonus for spells 02/26/2013 11:16 AM CST
An issue was discovered this morning when a player was casting BeS. The issue ended having to do with how the Ranger terrain bonus effects spellcasting, and in some cases could cause a spell to do all sorts of terrible things (like give negative effects).

The Ranger terrain bonus now only modifies the difficulty of the spell, not the min and max mana values of the spell.

Unrelated to that, I modified the min and max mana and difficulty ranges for BeS to be in line with standard cyclic spells as they are now defined. Max mana went up, Min difficulty in this case went down.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: BeS issue and Ranger bonus for spells 02/26/2013 11:37 AM CST
So, I'll need to figure out my max caps for the following if I can't cap it at the most difficult?

Full Urban
Urban
Neutral
Wilderness
Full Wilderness

Full Urban with MON
Urban with MON
Neutral with MON
Wilderness with MON

This looks to be the most difficult guild to use magic in. I was already working on trying to figure out if WOTP wisdom boost changed the difficulty. Hadn't started on MON besides checking a few changes in max mana on spells. Yeah, talk about an advanced guild for magic. Seems there are a few GMs around yet who also think Rangers should have been magic secondary. Do any other guilds have casting difficulty change based off of a guild confound? Charge level on Warrior Mages? Empathic shock on Empaths? Soul on Paladins? Devotion on Clerics? Moon Mages? Bards?

I'm not saying I don't or won't like it, just saying its going to be a challenge.
Re: BeS issue and Ranger bonus for spells 02/26/2013 12:02 PM CST
>>Do any other guilds have casting difficulty change

Yep, Warrior Mages. The Ranger version is far less complicated, and it provides a minor bonus in wilderness, and a minor penalty in urban. Generally, the difficulty sway is within the random factor of spellcasting, so if you have an cap in mind for a neutral spot, you can adjust up or down a few mana points depending on where you are and be pretty safe.

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate
Re: BeS issue and Ranger bonus for spells 02/26/2013 06:30 PM CST

Ha! This was me. Had just logged in and of course had BES up and got a send that could I please stop using BES as it was causing errors. Well good to know it's fixed lol.
Re: BeS issue and Ranger bonus for spells 02/27/2013 10:10 PM CST
<<Ha! This was me. Had just logged in and of course had BES up and got a send that could I please stop using BES as it was causing errors. Well good to know it's fixed lol.>>

Don't you just love breaking the game! Kudos!

Zinaca and her fully-grown raccoon, Shadow who runs up to you and gives you a raccoonish Hi-five
Re: BeS issue and Ranger bonus for spells 02/28/2013 12:07 AM CST

Yeah I was surprised when it happened. Good thing I just switched to using cheetah swiftness instead. Was a ha would ya look at that moment for sure.