Emerald Knights quest bug *SPOILERS* 06/07/2012 12:36 PM CDT
I am trying to get the final quest for the Emerald Knights, but I continually get auto-failed before I even leave the room.

I ask Fenhault about work, and then ask Grimnur about job:

> ask fen about work
Fenhalut says, "We offer small jobs to those that might want to help out. Ask me again within ten seconds and I'll check my roster if you want a job. There is still no guarantee that you'll still get the job from the person I send you to. They might have already gotten help."

> ask fen about work
Commander Fenhalut pulls out some notes and reads through them.
Commander Fenhalut says, "Go talk to the Captain of the Watch. He has requested some help.

> ask grim about job
Captain of the Watch Grimnur says, "I have asked help for the Watch, so you will become a temporary member and be given orders for a shift on the Watch. This mission will require you to spend at least six anlas on the battlements. You will not be able to leave the battlements, which means no going down the wall. No dying on your watch! At the first sign of trouble you should go up into the watch tower and sound the brass clarion. This is also about body count, so no hiding or standing around. If you accept this then ASK me about job again within 10 seconds.
Remember, if you are not able to complete the time requirement, then don't do the mission. If you have problems taking orders, then don't do the mission. I will not let you attempt it again for some time if you leave your post or fail the Watch."

I confirm within ten seconds:

>ask grim about job

Captain of the Watch Grimnur says, "Right then!"
Grimnur writes your name down on a roster then looks back up at you and says, "Your post is the battlements. I will personally relieve you of your duty when the time comes. We are expecting some trouble, so keep a sharp eye out. Hopefully help will be close by.
Your orders are as follows:

Stay alive.

Stay on the battlements or watch tower until I relieve you.

Kill any and all creatures that come within your post. Sound the clarion when you need to. You may have help with this but it is your responsibility to keep the battlements clear."

Leaning toward you Grimnur whispers, "If you live thru the watch then you will gain the respect of many folks who fight here, myself included."

Captain of the Watch Grimnur snaps to attention.
Grimnur gives you a quick half salute and says, "Carry on with your orders!"

And it immediately auto-fails the quest:

>>Captain of the Watch Grimnur says, "You have not proven yourself enough for me to relieve you. Get a higher body count for yourself. I am extending your tour one anlas till you get it right."

Right after this, I am unable to retry the quest, as if I had failed.

> ask grim about job
Captain of the Watch Grimnur says, "The Commander sends me folks when I request it, go talk to him if you wish to help out."

> ask fen about job
Fenhalut says, "I am sorry Keson but you failed us before. Maybe after some time has passed and we really need the help you can ask me again."

This happens every time I attempt to get the quest, without doubt. There appears to be no way around it. Is this normal? Am I failing some aspect of the quest that I am unaware of?

Thanks
GENT
Re: Emerald Knights quest bug *SPOILERS* 06/07/2012 01:01 PM CDT
>> I am extending your tour one anlas till you get it right.

Notice that? Your time has been extended for you to get the job done. That means the request is still active and you should be up on the wall killing stuff. It's not a complete fail, yet.

You snap your furry fingers.
Re: Emerald Knights quest bug *SPOILERS* 06/07/2012 01:44 PM CDT
But why is the extension being granted at the exact second that I begin the quest? There was no time in between any of the messaging I posted. When I ask about the quest immediately after getting that message, the quest has failed. I sat up on the battlements for 30 minutes without anything happening. Do I have to wait longer?

GENT
Re: Emerald Knights quest bug *SPOILERS* 06/07/2012 03:11 PM CDT
Fenhalut says, "I am sorry Keson but you failed us before. Maybe after some time has passed and we really need the help you can ask me again."

That part is really vague and I can tell you that the "some time" is more like weeks. It took me four tries to finally complete the quest and the time seemed to extend out to like a month in between tries but I didn't check it daily so that may be inaccurate.

===
My spathas at hand,
From the ashes I rise,
With resolve in my heart,
And fire in my eyes.
Re: Emerald Knights quest bug *SPOILERS* 06/08/2012 03:26 PM CDT
>>But why is the extension being granted at the exact second that I begin the quest?

That I really don't know. I don't recall that happening to me when I did the quest. However, I did recieve that message during the quest while fighting.

>>When I ask about the quest immediately after getting that message, the quest has failed.

Perhaps its that second asking that caused it to fail, maybe there is a little bug stuck in there.

>>I sat up on the battlements for 30 minutes without anything happening. Do I have to wait longer?

Yes. Sometimes it takes the system awhile to send in that many creatures to a pretty empty place. When it starts there will be anywhere from 3-5 creatures in every room on the wall and they will come in waves with small gaps between surges.

I'm not denying there might be a bug in there, I know when I did this quest I had completed everything and got my badge but kept getting messages after the fact. I know others have encountered little quirks on other portions of the quest also. Best advice is wait out the cool-down timer (I think its like 30-60 days IRL) and give it another go. Once accepting the task, stay on the wall until you get a force fail, or until you see some critters.

Re: Emerald Knights quest bug *SPOILERS* 06/09/2012 04:03 PM CDT

That quest, for me, is all kinds of messed up. I get the same thing, but it doesn't fail me. The other night, I stayed there for four hours killing those waves by hand so I did not miss any, killing every single one of them that I saw, and still he said I had not killed enough. I assisted asking if there were any known problems with the quest and was told it's working as intended(after some research by the very kind and patient GH/GM whose name I forget).

On that note, does anyone have any suggestions/tips to provide on ways to actually do the thing?
Re: Emerald Knights quest bug *SPOILERS* 06/09/2012 09:59 PM CDT
Did you do the quest solo or with help? Kills by your helpers don't count. Only your personal kills. IIRC it was something like 200+ kills.

I know it took me a few hours but I honestly don't remember how many. However, I can't really say to much about it without having a log or witnessing it.

From what I experienced and what I've had others tell me; there really is no trick to it. Just kill, kill, and kill some more.

Re: Emerald Knights quest bug *SPOILERS* 06/10/2012 01:19 AM CDT
Maybe it would be helpful to a group together and give it a go. I'm guessing the biggest issue is generating enough critters to kill.

I have limited availability on the weekends, but am free during the week.

GENT
Re: Emerald Knights quest bug *SPOILERS* 06/10/2012 08:42 AM CDT
A larger group can indeed trigger a larger swarm. The ideal group is just a trio of support chars. Paladins are great to have because they can block for you, a Cleric can start flinging around curses and giving you buffs, and lastly the Empath can make sure everyone lives or they can go on the offensive and start throwing buff/de-buff as well.

Whatever you do, you want to be the only person killing anything. You honestly can run around and snipe on opponents that are stunned or weakened by your team and get your kill counts. As long as it is you who makes the final hits. You also want to move through all the rooms, don't just wait in one for the swarm to give you x-amount of critters.

I would love to come down there and walk you through some of it, but alas getting Alexii to the wall would be significantly more dangerous than the wall itself.

>>You hear a lynch mob chanting, "Burn the Outcast!"

Though you can see about talking to Penderrin IG, he is a Paladin and Emerald Knight as well. He's always expressed an interest in helping both Rangers and Paladins complete this quest.

Re: Emerald Knights quest bug *SPOILERS* 06/28/2012 11:26 AM CDT
Follow up:

I was able to get the quest started. The key was not speaking to Fenhault after Grimnur gave me the extension (which is still a bug).

I was able to get enough killed within the extended time period just hunting by myself. I really can't recall how many it was, but it seemed very easy to complete within the time given. I have over 400 ranks in my primary weapon, however, so it may be more difficult if you are closer in circle to the critters.

Now I am receiving the "You vaguely remember you have a job to complete" message every few minutes, but I've yet to figure out how to have that removed.

Thanks!
GENT
Re: Emerald Knights quest bug *SPOILERS* 06/28/2012 11:31 AM CDT
>>I was able to get enough killed within the extended time period just hunting by myself.

Aren't you technically penalized if a bunch of people are helping you, anyway? I think the only kills that count are the ones that you personally make, so if some people were spam-killing with AoEs, they'd be taking away your ability to finish the quest.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Emerald Knights quest bug *SPOILERS* 06/28/2012 11:34 AM CDT
Yeah that's the bug that happened to me that I mentioned earlier.

What I had to do was ASSIST on it. When a GM came, they were able to fix it for me. I did have to show him my badge and put up the title to prove that I had gotten the rewards for full completion. You might have to do this as well.

Re: Emerald Knights quest bug *SPOILERS* 06/28/2012 11:37 AM CDT
>>I was able to get enough killed within the extended time period just hunting by myself.

>>Aren't you technically penalized if a bunch of people are helping you, anyway?

Yes, but only if they are killing the spawn. They can do any other sort of help other than actually land a death blow on a critter. Curses, Protecting, Buffs, Enchantes, etc. These are all fine and do not impede you from making your kills, in many ways they can help. I was one-shot with everything using my HT around 150 at the time due to my crew of help.