HB 02/11/2008 08:33 AM CST
Since you're messing around with it anyway can you make sure that once a player is webbed by this spell it will properly contest their escaping skill to break out? I'm pretty sure it's currently random.

~Minstrel Ascot, Musician of M'riss
HB and BB 06/15/2008 06:18 PM CDT
Z, I know you gave a detailed explaination of why they were nerfed, but can you explain why they don't even give a critter damage? I mean I drop a branch on a critters' head stunning them and there isn't a scratch? I can understand not wanting to see the damage accumulate to lethality as that would defeat the said purpose of the change...but can't it be adjusted so they at least take some damage?

Zinaca--a frustrated HB and BB user now--worked so hard to get them and now I don't use them because of this
Re: HB and BB 06/15/2008 06:58 PM CDT
>Z, I know you gave a detailed explaination of why they were nerfed, but can you explain why they don't even give a critter damage?<

Because I would then be nerfing them more in order to give a pathetic and useless amount of damage.

-Z
Re: HB and BB 06/15/2008 10:08 PM CDT
Zeuyurn.

She means why can't we have a BB that does what it does now as good as it does now and does what it did as good as it did in the same spell?

V.
Re: HB and BB 06/15/2008 10:20 PM CDT
>She means why can't we have a BB that does what it does now as good as it does now and does what it did as good as it did in the same spell?

1) Old BB was insanely overpowered if you had TM ranks. At about 150 ranks, it was basically instant death no matter what if you could pass the contest.

2) There's nothing saying you can't have a hybrid damage and debilitating spell, but it'd be 3rd-4th tier TM. My analysis was that Rangers would not appreciate BB becoming a TM spell, and we decided tert guilds should have their TM spells in a line by itself.

-Z
Re: HB and BB 06/16/2008 02:27 AM CDT
So, with a hybrid spell.

Let us say it took it was a 4th tier spell. You had the requisite PM but your TM ranks are all of 10...

Would you have been able to cast but not get the nondamaging part?

V.
Re: HB and BB 06/16/2008 04:55 PM CDT
>So, with a hybrid spell.
>Let us say it took it was a 4th tier spell. You had the requisite PM but your TM ranks are all of 10...
>Would you have been able to cast but not get the nondamaging part?

I don't know how magic overlords feel about it but for me it would depend on the nature of the spell. I'd probably want the TM portion to be the prerequisite for triggering the SvS attack. But again, my personal preference is for spells that do one thing well instead of two things averagely. If lots of Rangers really want a Hybrid TM/Disabler I could be moved on this issue, but I think you're better served by casting Branch Break or something followed by a quick TM spell.

>Personally I think the "guaranteed unconsciousness if the target is stunned" aspect of the new break branch is OP, but it seems like it is here to stay.<

It's not actually 'guaranteed' guaranteed. It's guaranteed if you pass the contest. Granted, if you can stun them somehow you can PROBABLY pass the contest but the contest is still there and it determines unconsciousness length.

-Z
Re: HB and BB 06/16/2008 06:05 PM CDT
>It's not actually 'guaranteed' guaranteed. It's guaranteed if you pass the contest. Granted, if you can stun them somehow you can PROBABLY pass the contest but the contest is still there and it determines unconsciousness length.

Good to know, I guess. We were told otherwise when it was released, and my testing led me to believe it was accurate. Has anyone managed to stun with a high first cast and achieve unconsciousness on a snap of the second cast? Because I couldn't get that to happen. On the other hand, that is very easy to do with mental blast.
Re: HB and BB 06/16/2008 07:41 PM CDT
JMF90, I post enough on the boards for you to realize I DO read the boards, so please don't dismiss my questions so out of hand. By my question to Z, I think we all learned a few new things, eh?

And thanks again, Z for your answers (and Volsa's excellent question).

Zinaca

And to BM, sorry to reply to a player here but I felt that needed to be said. You know I rarely do this.
Re: HB and BB *NUDGE* 06/16/2008 08:58 PM CDT
Please take any further posts to another folder. Thanks.

If you have any questions, please email either myself (MOD-Sidatura@play.net), Senior Board Monitor Annwyl (DR-Annwyl@play.net), or Message Board Supervisor Cecco (DR-Cecco@play.net).

~Sidatura

"Plato Smash!" - Action Philosophers