Brawling Bonuses 04/22/2015 04:20 PM CDT
Howdy.

The last official word I know of on the subject of S'Kra Mur Brawling bonuses was that it made sense for us to get a claw bonus, but the combat system was in flux and making that change would be too difficult at the time. Well, it's been a few years, there's a new version of DR out, and according to Epedia Prydaen get a bonus to CLAW and GOUGE, Rakash are able to BITE without grappling, and S'Kra get a BITE bonus (but only when grappled).

I wanted to see how plausible it would be for us to finally get that CLAW bonus as well.

I can understand not wanting to give us too much, so I'd be fine with a couple of limitations:

1) Unlike Prydaens, the claws of the S'Kra Mur aren't naturally sharp (at least not to the point of causing significant additional damage) so to enjoy a bonus to damage from CLAW (and only CLAW; no GOUGE bonus - the claws are designed to rake, not impale and tear, like a feline) the S'Kra Mur must first sharpen their nails with an existing claw sharpener.

2) The claws of a S'Kra Mur are wider and shorter than the extended claws of a Prydaen, so in order to enjoy this bonus the S'Kra must GRAPPLE their opponent.

I think that, with one or both of these restrictions, it would be fair to give us - the first and for many years only race with claws - the brawling bonus we've long deserved.

Thank you.

I
Re: Brawling Bonuses 04/22/2015 04:42 PM CDT
I've always been partial to the social convention that it's vulgar to sharpen one's claws but I wouldn't mind a brawling bonus so I could judge any uncouth S'Kra Mur I caught doing it.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Brawling Bonuses 04/22/2015 04:51 PM CDT
I'm opposed to this, and wish all racial bonuses (not counting TDP costs) were removed, since they're so unequally applied.

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Brawling Bonuses 04/22/2015 04:52 PM CDT
>> I've always been partial to the social convention that it's vulgar to sharpen one's claws but I wouldn't mind a brawling bonus so I could judge any uncouth S'Kra Mur I caught doing it.

I also have been a fan of this convention, in general, but have had a number of S'Kra characters who openly and vocally opposed it, which is one reason I like the idea of requiring the S'Kra in question to sharpen their claws to get the bonus. Unlike Prydaen who generally expect each other to use their claws in combat, S'Kra must take an additional, intentional step to do this because it's not the norm for their culture.

I
Re: Brawling Bonuses 04/22/2015 05:29 PM CDT
Would be cool if different races got different bonuses, but I agree with Caraamon that the next round of racial brawling bonuses needs to cover all the races, not just a few. Even if it's stuff like "well, 'Togs get +1 shove and Kaldar get +1 punch" or whatever.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Brawling Bonuses 04/22/2015 05:41 PM CDT
>> I'm opposed to this, and wish all racial bonuses (not counting TDP costs) were removed, since they're so unequally applied.

I get where you're coming from, but given that there are extant Racial bonuses to brawling, I think it would be nice if S'Kra Mur got the claw bonus that they've been asking for literally since before the Prydaen - who have a claw bonus - race was even conceptualized.

If the decision was made to simply nix all racial brawling bonuses, I would accept that as well. I'm okay with us not having a bonus I think we should get, so long as nobody else has a bonus, because that's just fairness. But...

>> Would be cool if different races got different bonuses, but I agree with Caraamon that the next round of racial brawling bonuses needs to cover all the races, not just a few. Even if it's stuff like "well, 'Togs get +1 shove and Kaldar get +1 punch" or whatever.

This I agree with even more. I want the S'Kra bonus to clawing because it makes sense, and there's a precedent in that three races currently have some form of brawling bonus, but I'd be much happier if every race got an approximately equal brawling bonus. On that note, I'm going to move this whole thing, with some added ideas I'm having as I type this, to the Combat folder. Check over there in like 5 minutes if you want to continue to chime in on the discussion in a not-exclusively-S'Kra-Mur way.

I
Re: Brawling Bonuses 04/22/2015 05:57 PM CDT
WTB fangs we can apply poison to and bite critters and people. Or just have a bonus to biting stuff. Or some fun verbs for fangs and snake tongue.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/S%27Kra_Mur_Physiology
The teeth reflect the S'Kra Mur's carnivorous origin. They are sharper and more slender than the teeth of other races. Between the two primary fangs in the front of the mouth are four identical incisors. Behind each fang are four more interlocking "demi-fangs." Behind these demi-fangs is a gap followed by a row of interlocking molars. With the exception of the two primary fangs, which are only in the upper jaw, all of these teeth are matched on the lower jaw.

The fangs of a S'Kra Mur do not look the same as those of a snake, and S'Kra Mur are not venomous

The S'Kra Mur's forked tongue is slender and highly maneuverable, rather than thick like a human's.

[20:11] Chatter[Arathael] Usually only get skill when it's successful.
[20:13] Chatter[Morpion] Thats why Arathael has 0.00 ranks in Getting Girls
[20:14] Chatter[Arathael] =(
Re: Brawling Bonuses 04/22/2015 06:18 PM CDT
I believe Mur have a racial bonus to bite.