New Rakash Area 04/15/2010 11:36 PM CDT
I think the new Rakash area is great. Except the room names.

Why do I have to get out a dictionary to even know what room I'm in? I mean, the room descriptions are great and thankfully in Common (I might think I'd gone insane otherwise). But why is this done this way?

Right now, I'm in [Siksraja, Zem Vaunais Koks]

I understand the Siksraja part, but the Zem Vaunais Koks part? Couldn't it just say a forest road, a bakery, a tog ball field, a torture dungeon?

I hate to complain, but I think this is setting a bad example for future areas and makes me want to visit this area much less. I wish the designer of the area (who by the way created a really lovely area, thank you!) would have asked for input, or considered making the names a little more.. player friendly. This is a big issue because if I want to give IC direction, I can't say go past the winding trail, through the thicket, up the gravel road and then you're there (Because I can't memorize every room description).

I'm sorry to complain. You all really put out a wonderful new area, and I'm so happy for this new Rakash development. But this aspect is really frustrating to me as a player.

Thanks!

- Terra
Re: New Rakash Area 04/16/2010 01:07 AM CDT
>>TERRA: considered making the names a little more.. player friendly

I second that. Most item and place names should be in English. (If foreign words are needed for items, the tap of the item should at least make its nature apparent.)

Teilan: PHA = Healer Union. They charge for healing based on your injuries. We will now pause while everyone gives their opinion on this.
Re: New Rakash Area 04/16/2010 02:17 AM CDT
Thirded.

Vashir: one day I will devise a weapon fueled by the tears of warrior mages
Vashir: it'll be unstoppable

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcszxzpn_22g3mtzcv
Re: New Rakash Area 04/16/2010 04:20 AM CDT
Funny this is a problem, considering how many rooms are in Gamegweth. Personally I had no difficulty finding my way around the area with the room names.

I don't see the huge problem, besides the area being NEW. If you are in a Rakash village, where the population speaks Rakash and give things Rakash meanings, you ask someone where you are... they're generally going to tell you in Rakash name. Its easy to look at what you see and go, oh this is a road.

Anyways, I love this release, thanks for the hard work and effort, it is very rewarding to have a place for my Rakash to call home. The environment and everything enriches how I the player can visualize Rakash.

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: New Rakash Area 04/16/2010 07:39 AM CDT
Um, it is a Rakash village, I don't like it either but it does make some sense. What I would really like is if they made it so that if you speak the language it put the translation in parenthesis or something. That's probably not going to happen though.
Re: New Rakash Area 04/16/2010 09:02 AM CDT
I understand it's a Rakash village and I don't disagree that some of it should be in Rakash. But even when a room is in Ilithic or Gamgweth it's usually like this

(Gamgweth for high altar, High Altar)
-Description of room-

And I'm not saying it's a problem for everyone, but it did give me a headache and I probably won't go back often which is a shame because the room descriptions made it seem beautiful.

There are two sides to this arguement and to a degree they both make sense, so I'm not going to waste my time arguing it. I was just pointing out that for me, I probably won't go back to a place that I have to work THAT hard to understand where I am. Although, I'm sure a lot of people love it. Either way, I think this is an amazing release. Especially the fact that now Rakash can get favors to their Gods there. But I don't like it for my characters, not even my Rakash.

And I can tell a great deal of effort was put into making this place so unique and colorful, and I applaud whoever worked so hard to do it.

- Terra
Re: New Rakash Area 04/16/2010 09:10 AM CDT
Agreed with Terra.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: New Rakash Area 04/16/2010 10:23 AM CDT
all right, since nobody has put up a map of the area on raniks yet, anyone care to give me the directions from the clearing to the general store area? and where would a rakash get favors from? <i have a few rakash that would be interested>

Out of curiosity, did you make everyone stop trying to kill Lyras so you could go try to kill Book?

Re: New Rakash Area 04/16/2010 08:37 PM CDT
So.. how long til we get the Prydaen village? :)

On a whim...: http://www.lostonawhim.com/

The Zoluren army asks, "We're um.... really sorry about the clubhouse and all... so uh... are we cool?"
Re: New Rakash Area 04/16/2010 08:43 PM CDT
Not sure if this is fitting for prydaens but I think it'd be interesting to see a village that migrates to different areas depending on the season. Since IIRC prydaen hubs are kinda on the move I figured it might be an appropriate idea if 4 appropriate sites can be found and have them rotate among them throughout the IG year.

RIP Tachid. Thank you for all the laughs.
(17 Akr., 394 ~ 5 Uth., 397)
Re: New Rakash Area 04/16/2010 10:15 PM CDT
If there is a Prydean village can you make the NPC's killable? More of these things sucks
Re: New Rakash Area 04/17/2010 12:54 PM CDT
I'm glad the area got released, and it was cool to see all the new hunting, but the weird room names made it really confusing, especially since Rakash isn't very kind to a brain accustomed to reading in English.
Re: New Rakash Area 04/18/2010 07:27 AM CDT
No complaints, I'm just overwhelmed by the new area. Thank you so much Anji and everyone else involved, it's fantastic.
Re: New Rakash Area 04/18/2010 08:21 AM CDT
Thank you Anji and everyone who but effort into creating this wonderful place.

Chinoa

Sorry... tell me again, what do you mean you had no time to get favours?
Re: New Rakash Area 04/19/2010 02:52 PM CDT
Thank you so much. It is absolutely beautiful.

"Sometimes you guys scare me."--Annwyl
"You people worry me."--GM Abasha
"Hmm..."--Z
Re: New Rakash Area 04/20/2010 10:24 PM CDT
It's not as great as Ranik's but I made a map to get us by till one more official is put out. Check Rakash area in forums, pls. Urm.. I don't know how to play with Elanthipedia but I pretty much catalogged all the shops and stuff along with npc looks and some interactions.

http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Lanita
Re: New Rakash Area 04/20/2010 10:27 PM CDT
It's not as great as Ranik's but I made a map to get us by till one more official is put out. Check Rakash area in forums, pls. Urm.. I don't know how to play with Elanthipedia but I pretty much catalogged all the shops and stuff along with npc looks and some interactions.

http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Lanita
Re: New Rakash Area 04/24/2010 11:16 PM CDT
Awesome new area! It is huge. The critters fill in a gap we've had in Theren for a while. Deer to! DEER... I've been waiting to hunt deer for ever. I just wish I could carve em up and cook em. There area ton of trees in the room descriptions, any chance you could make more of them climbable?

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: New Rakash Area 04/24/2010 11:39 PM CDT
>I've been waiting to hunt deer for ever.

The hunting preserve west of the crossing has deer for awhile. They're very low level though.

>describe boar
Re: New Rakash Area 04/24/2010 11:42 PM CDT
There are places beyond my swamp... gasp!

I've not explored the preserve in nearly a decade, I should go see all the new things.

Re: New Rakash Area 04/25/2010 02:44 PM CDT
The Preserve is probably my favorite area in the game! So much to explore and so detailed. The manor is especially well done.

And with all the improvements from Dartenian, it's also a really great hunting ground for the younger crowd. I take all my newbs through the preserve.

GENT
Re: New Rakash Area 04/28/2010 11:24 PM CDT
The deer skins from the elder deer seem to give the same amount from the young deer. I got about 2.X plat per bundle from the elder deer and about 6.X plat per bundle from other monsters one tier lower than them-- is this intentional?
Re: New Rakash Area 04/29/2010 07:32 PM CDT
The price you get from skinning a critter is not comparable across critters or difficulty of the same critter. I am thrilled that the deer happen to be skinnable. When a creature is created, if it is skinnable, the skin has certain attributes and those currently remain constant across the age group (difficulty level) of that creature.

I hope you continue to enjoy hunting there~

GM Anji
Rakash Race Champ
Re: New Rakash Area 04/29/2010 09:45 PM CDT
>The price you get from skinning a critter is not comparable across critters or difficulty of the same critter.

That's not really accurate. There are special exceptions and if a creature has treasure drops the skins will be worth less, but in general, skin value is correlated with difficulty.

Creature 70 part avg (L)
Elder Armadillo 2306
Adult Armadillo 1757
Super Celpeze 1593
Juvenile Armadillo 1584
Storm Bull 1363
Bloodfish 1331
Polos 1293
Seordmaor 1051
Greater Shadow Hound 1015
Dobek Moruryn 900
Elder Gryphon 873
Adult Gryphon 857

etc...

>describe boar
Re: New Rakash Area 04/29/2010 09:51 PM CDT
I think the main point was something like giving them different skin values would require splitting the critter's data into three critters.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: New Rakash Area 04/29/2010 10:05 PM CDT
>I think the main point was something like giving them different skin values would require splitting the critter's data into three critters.

If you can spawn different stats, you should be able to spawn different skin values.

>describe boar
Re: New Rakash Area 04/30/2010 06:59 AM CDT

there Is a difference in similar critters and skin values for some critters.

Noteably - nightweaver unyn, nightreaver unyns, and nightstalker unyns on aesry differ from each other both in values of the spinneret, and in difficulty.

The same should hold true for the deer.

perhaps they need to have a similar "fix" to their name as was done for unyns years ago when the same issue came up there.

thanks.

Out of curiosity, did you make everyone stop trying to kill Lyras so you could go try to kill Book?

Re: New Rakash Area 05/01/2010 07:10 PM CDT
>>A cougar slinks into the room, grabs the corpse of an elder red brocket deer by the neck and drags it off into the brush.

Shouldn't that be slinks into the area, not room ?