Encumberance and the larger races 08/14/2003 01:52 PM CDT
I'm just wondering.

What was it about the other "stronger" races *in and of themselves* (not as part of the races of the game as a whole) that made it necessary to change their encumberance levels?

~I.B.

Best. Order. Ever.
http://www.bakshiloa.com
Re: Encumberance and the larger races 08/14/2003 01:55 PM CDT
<<What was it about the other "stronger" races *in and of themselves* (not as part of the races of the game as a whole) that made it necessary to change their encumberance levels?>>

Encumbrance itself was being calculated in a bass-ackwards way. The resulting recalculation wound up being something less than a benefit to those who were being unfairly benefited from the original calculations. It wasn't any of the races themselves that were being/have been altered, but rather the code that calculated encumbrance.

--Ellerina

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
-- Walt Disney
Re: Encumberance and the larger races 08/15/2003 04:16 AM CDT
Does the new formula only affect where (weightwise) we should see changes in our encumberance levels on a linear basis, as in a simple shift downwards of the changes in levels, or has it changed both where we start to notice a burden and how close together (weightwise) each level is from one another?

To clarify--I notice that not only does it take less for me to get to Light Burden, but it seems to take much less to go from Light to the next level of burden. Is this intended?

~I.B.

Best. Order. Ever.
Re: Encumberance and the larger races 08/15/2003 12:01 PM CDT
<<To clarify--I notice that not only does it take less for me to get to Light Burden, but it seems to take much less to go from Light to the next level of burden. Is this intended?>>

From what I understand of the numbers, the change should be linear. The numbers that were changed, as far as I know, don't get modified exponentially or anything. Most likely what you're noticing is just the effects of that linear modification.

--Ellerina

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
-- Walt Disney
Re: Encumberance and the larger races 08/16/2003 08:17 PM CDT
Encumbrance: Burdened
Sometimes with some treasure, would be heavy burden. tick-tock tick-tock Two days pass.

Encumbrance: Overburdened

I don't think I should have gone from burdened, to heavy burden, to very heavy burden, to overburdened, in a simple key-racial bonus/penalty restructuring. Was this supposed to have such a dramatic impact on the guildless types? Commoners don't have thousands of TDPs to spare training stats. Going from 'Well, I'm burdened, but I can survive hauling my stuff' To 'Now I can barely stand up without a dozen tries', is a very bad thing!!!

Am I going to be expected to shed everything but my armor, weapon, and maybe a target shield? I hope there was an error made somewhere down the line.
Re: Encumberance and the larger races 08/16/2003 09:14 PM CDT
Clearly, playing a commoner is not something that is supported. The only choices you really have is to either de-fluff completely (and probably still have burden), or join a guild. It is doubtful that the GMs would make a change just because it makes commoners harder to play.

~V.R.
Re: Encumberance and the larger races 08/16/2003 09:16 PM CDT

uhm if a gnome commoner can make it just fine then I am sure you can. Your just carrying a bunch of stuff you dont need to be.

Warning labels, keeping you alive despite your own stupidity since 1967.
Re: Encumberance and the larger races 08/16/2003 09:19 PM CDT
<<uhm if a gnome commoner can make it just fine then I am sure you can. Your just carrying a bunch of stuff you dont need to be.

I think the problem was that they are one of the stronger races (Togs, Skra and Kaldar?) therefore now suffer a larger penalty. Weaker races now suffer less burden. (Everything else cept humans)

~V.R.
Re: Encumberance and the larger races 08/16/2003 09:31 PM CDT

Uh... they have less than they had but they deffinately have far more than gnomes.

Warning labels, keeping you alive despite your own stupidity since 1967.
Re: Encumberance and the larger races 08/16/2003 10:36 PM CDT
You guys, honestly, it really sounds like a whole lot of whining. No offense, but even though you have less of an encumbrance bonus than you used to, you still have more than the other races. If gnomes, halflings, elotheans and the rest can get by with the burden penalties they have (and the even worse ones they used to have) you can get by with less of a bonus than you used to have. Yes, you'll have to adjust the way you play and get used to it, but "OMG I'm not as good as I used to be" isn't really a valid complaint when there are a significant number of people who are still 'worse' than you.

~Y

The Guide to the Elothean People and so much more.
http://www.bakshiloa.com/libraryindex.html
Re: Encumberance and the larger races 08/16/2003 10:45 PM CDT
Kilan, as a S'Kra Mur, went to 'light burden' when the bugs for the change got sorted out.

Discarded a couple essentially useless items...back to none. While I cannot verify the combined weight of everything he's carrying, at the moment...I seem to recall it being somewhere around 3,000 stone. I'll check once I get back to civilization.(read:MAMAs)

My Commoner, also a S'Kra Mur, is still at none.

-Chris

No matter where light goes...it will find darkness has been there first.
Re: Encumberance and the larger races 08/17/2003 02:57 AM CDT
<<Discarded a couple essentially useless items...back to none. While I cannot verify the combined weight of everything he's carrying, at the moment...I seem to recall it being somewhere around 3,000 stone. I'll check once I get back to civilization.(read:MAMAs)>>

And just to give you a point of view, a gnome with 23 str/20 sta can carry 765 stone before burden starts showing. I cant imagine how anyone even with twice my strength/stamina could run around with 3000 stone and not feel it.

Skazar
Re: Encumberance and the larger races 08/18/2003 06:36 AM CDT
>>No offense, but even though you have less of an encumbrance bonus than you used to, you still have more than the other races.

And no offense, but the guilds that have burden lower than what humans had were trained in a way that took that burden stuff into accont.

As a result of that, now they're even LESS burdened.

Gor'togs, while probably getting the biggest reduction, were still capable of fixing it because they just got a ton of tdps.

Kaldar and S'kra (Elf too, right?) end up being the only ones who result in having the way their characters stats were arranged resulting in a WORSE situation.

My issue is more that my Kaldar's burden bonus is being reduced NOT because it was too big, but because the Gor'tog one was being reduced.

Need a babelfish for DragonRealms?

Re: Encumberance and the larger races 08/18/2003 08:13 AM CDT
<<Kaldar and S'kra (Elf too, right?) end up being the only ones who result in having the way their characters stats were arranged resulting in a WORSE situation.>>

And Dwarves, although this was easily fixed by getting rid of some unnecessary items.

Drongol's Player
Re: Encumberance and the larger races 08/18/2003 08:39 AM CDT
<And Dwarves, although this was easily fixed by getting rid of some unnecessary items>

Got rid of the armor and kept the ale?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Re: Encumberance and the larger races 08/18/2003 08:49 AM CDT
<<Got rid of the armor and kept the ale?>>

Only about 1800 stones of armor--nothing too heavy. The ale isn't that bad, either. Just had to get rid of some of the prize items and "random stuff" I didn't even know was on Drongol, in all honesty.

Drongol's Player
Re: Encumberance and the larger races 08/18/2003 09:38 AM CDT
>>Kaldar and S'kra (Elf too, right?) end up being the only ones who result in having the way their characters stats were arranged resulting in a WORSE situation.

Actually, as an Elf, my burden went from Light to None, and pretty dang far into None actually. But I do know what you mean when you say you trained to take burden into account, my strength and stamina are both set to the perfect level that keeps me at light burden when I'm fully dressed.

I can sympathize with you guys about getting bumped up a few burden levels though, and if it was up to me I would have let you guys keep your burden bonuses and just dumbed down the penalities for the weaker races.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

"Resist. Unlearn. Defy." - Incubus
Re: Encumberance and the larger races 08/18/2003 10:22 AM CDT
<<<My issue is more that my Kaldar's burden bonus is being reduced NOT because it was too big, but because the Gor'tog one was being reduced.

Could it be possible that the burdens were basically imbalanced in the first place?

PB, I'm in the opposite situation. I've been spending my TDPs on Strength and stamina so that I wouldn't have excessive burdens instead of putting them into mentals and chrisma which are dramatically behind as a result. Now I see I need much less str and stam to accomplish that, but I've got my TDPs invested there already. Well, I'm not gonna bitch about it, just letting you know that there are more situations affecting others than what you might realize, Bud.

Humm "Proud Ears" Breaux

Prydaen Refugee Freedom Fighter.
Re: Encumberance and the larger races 08/20/2003 12:25 PM CDT
>> I've been spending my TDPs on Strength and stamina so that I wouldn't have excessive burdens instead of putting them into mentals and chrisma which are dramatically behind as a result.

I hear that. I had a Gnome Cleric. She was one of the very first Gnomes in the land. Unfortunatly, having to spend so many tdps on strength and stamina to make her playable left her too short in mentals. Which meant circles came slow which meant tdps came slow which meant her mentals didn't improve.... I finally gave up on her and started a new Gnome cleric when this change came through. Its too bad cause I was rather attached to the first one. The frustration factor was just too high tho.

Ithlia,
Highwood House,
Street of the Four Moons,
Shard.