Prev_page Previous 1
Learning another language 08/29/2009 07:29 PM CDT
I imagine it's been suggested a million times but I'd like to be able to learn other racial languages. It seems like it should be something we could endeavor to do with the right amount of skill and/or stats. Being that there are 11 races, I think your character should be able to learn at least 1 if not all of the other languages given the right skill. I don't think it should be easy by any means, but you could say make it so you can learn 1 additional language for ever 10 ranks of wisdom and perhaps every 200 ranks of scholarship. Or maybe with just certain scholarship requirements alone, this would at least give someone who gets the theoretical limit of 2000 ranks of scholarship pretty much the ability to speak every language in the realms, not very useful but still a nice bragging right.
Re: Learning another language 08/29/2009 07:53 PM CDT
I wish :(

It'd be nice to know if this will ever be worked on, or if it can't be done for some reason.

Rev. Reene

"...[gods] are symbols in a way that no human being, however 'archetypal', can ever be. They are actors playing parts that are real only for us; they are the masks behind which we see our own faces."
Re: Learning another language 10/20/2009 03:05 PM CDT
I agree... I RP my Elf character as having been raised in Muspar'i around (and partially by) S'kra, so I'd gladly even trade Ilithic for S'kra Mur tongue. Someday, perhaps?

~E

*Continues braiding his vines*
Re: Learning another language 10/29/2009 05:35 PM CDT
Make friends with a S'Kra that is okay with translating OOCly some of their conversations.
Re: Learning another language 02/20/2010 07:36 PM CST
Sooo...rezzing a thread here, but I never noticed it before and I see no good reason not to. The discussion seemed pretty interesting, so I figured I'd chime in even though I'm late.

First, I think each race should have a chart of language similarity kind of like the racial breeding chart. Tier the difficulty of each language for each race.

At 100 ranks of scholarship, regardless of skillset placement, any person can attempt to learn a language in the easiest tier for their race. There would be a TDP cost of, say, 50 TDPs for a first tier language. What exactly this process involves is kind of hard to come up with an idea for... It'd be kind of neat if it was like joining Necros (not really gonna say more due to spoilers, but I think you get the idea), and would take place in a little village, town, household, or whatever, of the person teaching you the language. Kind of like you learn it through immersion.

The amount of time this takes can be reduced by wisdom, discipline, intelligence and ranks in perception. Even with really good stats, though, it should be lengthy enough that you really have to want it to bother with the quest.

Upon completion, you've learned the language. Your vocal ranks could then come into play. When you speak the language, depending on your vocals ranks, you could opt to speak with varying degrees of proficiency which unlock over time as your vocals go up. With less than 50 vocals, you might stutter as you speak slowly. 100, you can keep stuttering if you want, or you could just speak slowly. 150, you can speak the language without any kind of descriptor. 200, you can speak it fluently.

Perhaps you'd need more vocals for each level of proficiency depending on the tier of language difficulty for your race.

Aaaanyway, there's Haakish, Ilithic, Olvi, Toggish, Gerenshuge, S'Kra Mur, Gamgweth, Gorbesh, Prydaen, and Rakash (I think that's all of them, sorry if I left one out!) So, 9 languages for each person to learn.

Lore Primes: 1st Tier available at 100 ranks, 2nd at 250, 3rd at 400. Able to learn a new language every 75 ranks after 100.

Others: 1st Tier available at 100 ranks, 2nd at 300, 3rd at 500. Able to learn a new language every 100 ranks.

As for TDP costs, maybe 50, 100, and 150 depending on the tier?

Yeah, it'll never happen, but sometimes I like to just slap stuff together and see what people think.

-=Issus=-
Re: Learning another language 02/22/2010 01:01 AM CST
Personally I like that you put the effort in. I know that the board monitors checks these things out and that the GMs do too. Along that line, the more draw there seems to be to things the more likely the thing will be developed.

I overall like the concept of scaling, further I suggest that Lore Tertiary is given a further hindrance. To me Lore Primary (or anything that a guild is primary at) are the best at it. Then secondary is more of a we are the standard for this. Then the Tertiary have difficulty or find it hard or what not to accomplish this.

When I was first coming along with thoughts on how Languages should be done I was also thinking TDPs should be used. I'm not totally against it.

However I think Scholarship should be the scale that allows for learning Languages.

I have no idea the exacts of the Necromancers Guild Joining quest. I heard it wasn't so much difficult as tedious to join. Which I'd like for this as well. Something that gave a flare for this seems like I am doing something that would have my character really know this language. As well as something that wasn't just I get this badge thus I speak Haakish Or along the lines of Ask Teacher for Haakish, and then puff you know Haakish.

I know I would put the effort into it, just like I put the effort into doing tasks, even if the tasks seem right now at least more geared toward Rangers (good for my Ranger, somewhat odd for my Thief. I also see development continually happening in the Task system [Thanks GMs and GM developers! :) ).

As well thanks for the post, and I hope that others put some thoughts in here. Even if it is only as simple as. I agree! Or that seems off a bit, what if...

- GM Dartenian
Re: Learning another language 02/22/2010 01:22 AM CST
I think letting Lore Prime get the bulk of the skill req reduction would be a great idea; more languages could be an excellent RP tool and very sensible for traders and bards, and as well as Empaths if you use the go where help is wanted angle and learn "Ow!" or explicitives in all kinds of language from all kinds of people you work on :D
Re: Learning another language 02/22/2010 01:26 AM CST
I just want scholarship to matter in a big way.

Rev. Reene

Kssarh says, "She has many talents."
>
Kssarh says, "Some of which can be discussed in public."
Re: Learning another language 02/22/2010 01:28 AM CST
If you were going to go through the effort of doing this, I'd want non-racial languages added in.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Learning another language 02/22/2010 01:51 AM CST
I'm curious by what you mean by non racial language? I'm assuming you're saying you would like a language setting developed that no one knows by default, but those interested in the study of language could achieve? Essentially, a scholars language? Achieve 550 scholarship and gain access to a language only other well educated types could understand?

-=Issus=-
Re: Learning another language 02/22/2010 02:14 AM CST
Or how to speak goblin, rock troll, or dragon priest?

Nikpack

The gods are jerks. No, really.
-Armifer

I don't think we ever take the training wheels off as players or gamemasters.
-Inauri
Re: Learning another language 02/22/2010 02:36 AM CST
I hear Womanese is planned at 1200 scholarship, 50 discipline, and uh, 50 stamina.
Re: Learning another language 02/22/2010 03:46 AM CST
<<Or how to speak goblin, rock troll, or dragon priest?>>

dragon priests speak s'kra.

saar'ati Dzree tanu sarr'hhs oloh.

the world is broken
Re: Learning another language 02/22/2010 05:55 AM CST
>I'm curious by what you mean by non racial language?

>Or how to speak goblin, rock troll, or dragon priest?

This. I suppose I should have worded it better.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Learning another language 02/23/2010 04:04 AM CST
I rarely see people using the racial languages, it doesn't seem worth putting a HUGE amount of effort into learning more of them.

I would definitely never spend TDPs on it unless we were given new/more/better ways to earn TDPs.

I'd be more willing to invest something like, say, an RPA, however.

~ Kougen

Moon Mages: Ripping reality a new one since 586 BL
Re: Learning another language 02/23/2010 07:33 AM CST
I've played MUDs where it was handled by exposure--hearing the language was enough to teach it, slowly. DR doesn't even need a cipher or actual language to do it. You could do something like...

Zachryvak asks something in Gorbesh.

Zachryvak asks something in Gorbesh. You make out the words, "I'm...hunting. Does...?"

Zachryvak asks in Gorbesh, "I'm going hunting. Does anyone want to come?"

It'd also be nice to see the recall verb used to reference the in-game dictionary, for when big jerks like Ventuul use S'kra words and I don't understand them.

The languages needn't be actual skills. You could set them up like smoke images. The whole thing should take quite a bit of scholarship and time.
Re: Learning another language 02/23/2010 08:43 AM CST
I disagree. Languages should be accessible, but require an actual investment of time and effort to learn.

I don't really want everyone running around speaking every language because they can. Allowing people to pick up a single new language for every 200 ranks of scholarship they have at the cost of TDPs or something would be nice.

Rev. Reene

>
Re: Learning another language 02/23/2010 11:51 AM CST
If we really want to simulate progressively learning a new language, the only feasible way I can see is a model based on a mixture of time elapsed and usage.

The time elapsed should affect both as a cap on mechanical benefit from using the language (so people don't spam in broken s'kra to rack up exp), and also another timer for passive learning for those who do not have as much time to stay logged in game.

There should be 3-4 tiers:

Tier 1: "Learning"
The char cannot speak the language, but can catch bits of words in short sentences. Long sentences will come out as "Rieum says something in Gamgweth, but he spoke too fast for you to catch anything."

Tier 2: Beginner
The char can understand short sentences fully, catch bits and pieces from longer sentences, and can start speaking very simple sentences (text limited to maybe the length of a wax label). Trying to speak too long will result in "You pondered on saying that, but you realize you aren't proficient enough to say all of that properly."

Tier 3: Conversational
The character can understand long sentences fully, and catch chunks from extremely long sentences. The character can also speak the language at the length of a gweth-thought.

Tier 4: Fluent
Self-explanatory; No limit on listening and speaking.
Re: Learning another language 02/23/2010 12:56 PM CST
Why not have a dual approach? Make it require Scholarship and TDPs, but make the learning process more natural for those of us who would get a kick out of it.

So, say, you can learn the language three ways:

1) By exposure. You have to use a verb to do this, like "PAY ATTENTION TO NIIETH," in order to start watching her like a hawk and trying to learn what she's saying. There is a Scholarship requirement and you drain TDPs at a regular rate (say 1 per hour).

2) By reading some books. Same deal only you learn a little faster and lose TDPs a little faster.

3) By being taught. Same deal only you learn much faster, lose TDPs much faster, and the Scholarship requirement is lower.

Over time you'd see more and more of the words revealed, until eventually you'd be fluent. We could make the process work along an exponential curve (i.e. taking much less time and Scholarship to go from beginner to conversational than to go from highly conversational to totally fluent). That way we'd end up with a system where you'd really have to be an uber-Scholar and burn some TDPs to be superfluent, but with a small investment you could plunk by.

Lore primes should of course get some kind of bonus, such as a faster learning rate and/or lower Scholarship reqs.

I think it'd be fun anyway.

-- Player of Niieth
Re: Learning another language 02/24/2010 01:46 AM CST
I am against the TDPs, because I think it will be more of a push for people to be TDP farming. I somewhat am hoping that by having less of a need there will be more of a reason the GMs feel they can/should/would/will come up with another TDP set up.

I feel scholarship should be a base to learning it, and vocal should be a base for speaking it after listening to people.

I feel that among the three Lore Prime guilds [that of Traders and Bards] they really should would have many reasons that they could have second and more languages.
Not that those lovely empaths shouldn't get an advantage (their still Lore Prime, just doesn't seem as true to their lore. However I want to see the less developed skill sets -as far as perks go- get more developed)

I also like the concept of learning as you go.

So I would break it down into:

'Quest' without a huge Syntax puzzle, more of a struggle effort, however overall time spent is focused straight to learning the skill.

'Teacher' or 'Library/Research' Similar to the Quest a lot of time spent on learning the language.

'Listening in' Your around people and actively trying to deduce what those S'Kra Mur or Dwarves or Gor'Tog or darn those Goblins what are they saying and are slowly trying to pick it up.

I also like the concept of being able to hear and speak the Language slowly over time. Thus the scholarship would help you see more of a percentage of what the language is saying, and then the vocals would help you say the sentences once you knew them.

All of them should have a limit for the Scholarship and Vocals. You might get a message: You can't fathom how you'd learn another language when your pushing your scholarly might to understand all that you've already know.

I hope I was clear with all these thoughts.

I love the discussion. I have no lore Primary characters but I do have a Lore Secondary and I'd love to be able to start rolling on getting those languages!

- GM Dartenian
Re: Learning another language 02/24/2010 02:19 AM CST
>> I am against the TDPs, because I think it will be more of a push for people to be TDP farming.

I doubt anyone inclined to farm for TDPs will be inclined to spend those TDPs on something as mechanically pointless as learning another language.

What it does is force people to actually make a serious investment into learning a language, so everyone in the game isn't running around speaking every other language just because.

Very high scholarship requirements could also be another barrier for that, while also giving scholarship a use.

Rev. Reene

>
Re: Learning another language 02/24/2010 04:30 AM CST
>>Not that those lovely empaths shouldn't get an advantage (their still Lore Prime, just doesn't seem as true to their lore. However I want to see the less developed skill sets -as far as perks go- get more developed)

I think we should be really careful about denying guilds privileges. I like that our current model has shifted toward basing perks on skillset placement, and I would want to see the Empaths get lore perks as well as the Traders and Bards.

I would imagine that Traders/Bards could then have extra abilities on top of the simple "learn languages faster" perk. Like Bards' Aura of Tongues enchante.

-- Player of Niieth
Re: Learning another language 02/24/2010 11:12 AM CST
I wouldn't want to see empaths get anything less than the other two lore prime guilds. They've had to put up with the suck that is Lore for just as long and having them benefit less from a lore release is just not needed.

I agree with Caelumia's reasoning behind TDPs. If it's just something that is easy to do and there's no real sacrifice to doing it, everyone will be running around knowing a bunch of languages and it'll kind of be pointless.

As for the learning method, I wouldn't really care how it's done. The reason I proposed what I did is that I think it's probably easier mechanically than something like the "Every time you hear someone speak it you learn a little more." Also, I wouldn't want to have to rely on other people babbling in their racial languages incessantly to get myself a new ability.

-=Issus=-
Re: Learning another language 02/24/2010 04:22 PM CST
If this were implemented, I'd want each language divided into levels of comprehension. I'd also want the number of languages someone can speak to be capped based on Scholarship and Vocals ranks, as well as by guild.

I'd want only Lore Primes to be able to speak every language perfectly, even with 2k Vocals/Scholarship. Perhaps divide the total comprehension pool by the pool type (1/2/3).

Scholarship could determine how many levels of comprehension can be used, and vocals could determine the cap of comprehension in any unrelated language (like, say, trying to go from a Romance root language to a Germanic root).

>
You're not used to life as a fish, are you?
Re: Learning another language 02/24/2010 04:30 PM CST
I really like the general idea, and some of the ways to go about doing it. In my opinion lore primary people should have a boost, and it should be a little bit of a hassle to learn.

Not a fan of the TDP thing though.
Re: Learning another language 02/24/2010 04:51 PM CST
What is really nice about AOH is that you can learn other languages via scrolls that you buy from special shops in different towns. This would be a great idea for DR. They sell beginning, intermediate, and advanced language scrolls. Would be a great money sink for the game. Perhaps having the beginning cost 1 plat, intermediate 10 plat, advanced 100 plat. With first level you only make out one word out of ten, second level one word out of five, next level all of the words. Would take many days to study one scroll per hour. I think in AOH it takes forty studies every irl forty minutes. You can't study the next level without the prerequistes. Beginning scholarship should be about 250 perhaps? You would also learn scholarship while studying the scroll too.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Learning another language 02/24/2010 04:54 PM CST
100 plat means you could afford all the languages with a few days hunting. That's not a plat sink.

TDP cost is the only way to actually make it at all exclusive.
Re: Learning another language 02/24/2010 05:07 PM CST
I like the plat idea, maybe the prices should just be a little higher if that's an issue. The scrolls sound like a nice way to go about it, or maybe some form of quest to find an instructor that will charge you - you'd have to find a different teacher for each level of learning. If it happens I don't think it should be the easiest thing to do.
Re: Learning another language 02/25/2010 12:10 PM CST
<<TDP cost is the only way to actually make it at all exclusive.

plus right now there is not really much uses for TDP's at all. this is one way to help expand it.

I'm on a Motor-boat!!
Re: Learning another language 02/25/2010 12:55 PM CST
As a player I hate spending TDPs on anything but stats because I always feel like I'm hobbling my character. It bugs me so much that I might be reluctant to learn another language even though I feel like my character might want to know it.

In the long run, it's a moot point since you'll cap out all your stats and have TDPs to spare at some point, but that's a place few characters in prime will ever see.
Re: Learning another language 02/25/2010 01:25 PM CST
>As a player I hate spending TDPs on anything but stats because I always feel like I'm hobbling my character. It bugs me so much that I might be reluctant to learn another language even though I feel like my character might want to know it.

This is exactly why this is a good idea. It'll limit language learning to people that really care about it.
Re: Learning another language 02/25/2010 01:44 PM CST
I also don't really like the idea of using TDPs for language-learning.

However, I do think that some repeated forms of instruction interspersed with tasks or mini-quests for the instructors might work. Let me give an example, and forgive me if it sounds like something that has been posted before.

For the sake of argument, let us say you want to learn to speak S'kra Mur. So you would find Sh'kial.

Sh'kial looks at you with kindly amusement, his tail turning in slow circles. "So, you wish to learn the language of the S'kra?" he asks. "Bring me some spring water, then we will begin." He will then instruct you in rudimentary S'kra after you return with the water. Your throat feels like it's completely snarled when he is finally satisfied with your progress, but you are better able to understand your s'kra neighbors.

If you wish for further instruction, you will have to bring rarer items or perform harder tasks.

Upon attaining mastery of the language, Sh'kial gazes at you with pride. "You now speak as one of us," he intones.

That's just a thought.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Learning another language 02/25/2010 01:51 PM CST
When you hit 40-all stats the existing alternative TDP sinks e.g. scrolls are so negligible that they are barely worth half a stat point difference. You are hardly gimping your char.
Re: Learning another language 02/25/2010 02:34 PM CST
Spending TDPs should be reserved for hard benefits, like stats and spells slots. Not used to artificially limit role playing tools and character development.

Hard limits based on skill set and soft limits based on scholarship ranks are more than sufficient for this.

~ Kougen

Re: Learning another language 02/25/2010 04:20 PM CST
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think spending TDPs to get a language is a good way to limit how many people choose to go that route. I don't really see TDPs as being as precious as some of you do though, I guess.

I;m not against the idea of RPA points being usable instead, though. It fits pretty well.

Enots, I'm afraid that "hunt for item X" quests are about the worst thing ever. Ask any bard who has done the booze quest for voice throws how fun it is to have to camp a rotating stock store that's only open during the night on Ratha in a maze, only to have the quest giver change his mind when you finally get it. Also, there's issues with items that read the same to us but are different behind the scenes so that glass of pale ale you have might not be the right pale ale. It's just hugely irritating.

-=Issus=-
Re: Learning another language 02/25/2010 04:52 PM CST
Oh, I do agree that rotating stock store items should be avoided, for that very reason! I've spent hours camping stores for items that I eventually started wondering if they were taken out of rotation.

Clerics have a bunch of quests too, though- including a couple that are really syntax puzzles that are pains right where you sit down. I was really thinking more of tasks similar to what the task system uses.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Learning another language 02/25/2010 06:37 PM CST
>> This is exactly why this is a good idea. It'll limit language learning to people that really care about it.

This, pretty much.

RPAs would also be acceptable. I was just talking the other day with someone about how RPAs should really have more benefits that would be conducive to RP and encourage it - stuff like learning languages, custom titles, custom verbs etc. would all do that and make sense.

Rev. Reene

>
Re: Learning another language 02/26/2010 03:51 AM CST
>>RPAs would also be acceptable.

The thing about RPAs is that their distribution is a little skewed. I live in an odd time zone, so I don't get a ton of opportunities to RP with people. 90% of events take place at 2:00 am for me.

That said, I don't really mind, and think it's a decent idea.

Perhaps the TDP idea can be revisited if/when that system changes as well.

-- Player of Niieth
Re: Learning another language 02/26/2010 06:15 AM CST
>I live in an odd time zone... 90% of events take place at 2:00 am for me.

So, you live on the US east coast too? Yeah, it's pretty rough sometimes. I miss a lot when I manage to get on a normal sleeping schedule.

I still say a cost in blood is unnecessary for purely limiting reasons though.

Have it so you can learn one new language every 300 ranks of scholarship.

Lore Primary - Cap at 5 new languages (at 1500 ranks)
Lore Secondary - Cap at 3 new languages (at 900 ranks)
Lore Tert - Cap at 1 new language (at 300 ranks)

If you STILL need to restrict people, make it cost 30 RP points. That's not an impossible task, but it's a Level 4 RPA so it still makes people pick and choose between RP development and a significant skill boost.

~ Kougen

Re: Learning another language 02/26/2010 07:28 AM CST
>>So, you live on the US east coast too? Yeah, it's pretty rough sometimes. I miss a lot when I manage to get on a normal sleeping schedule.

Haha, nope. I live in the UK. So all the board posts about events happening at 9:00 pm EST -- that's 2:00 am for me.

I like the idea of capping the total number you can learn, and I like the numbers you picked (5, 3, and 1). It's along the same line as capping arranges, and gives a significant bonus to the lore primes. I'm not sure if I would pick every 300 ranks though. There should be some fun available for people who don't get to uber levels (like, I don't have a skill at 300 yet).

I'd suggest learning along an exponential curve (I love those). So say, at 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600 for lore primes, if we're sticking to 5 and want to scale to 2000.

-- Player of Niieth
Prev_page Previous 1