Gorbesh Favors 10/07/2019 11:45 PM CDT
I want to start a discussion about the idea of getting favors from the Alaudian pantheon.

Raesh hinted that there was a reason why they aren't offered, but left before anything was made clear. In his absence, are we still bound by the same thinking? Is this something that one of the GMs could take up, now that he's gone? What're the chances of us ever getting these?
Re: Gorbesh Favors 10/08/2019 12:34 AM CDT
>Any chance we can gain favors with the Alaudian pantheon gods?

>Favors just isn't a thing that's associated with the Alaudian gods. There's a reason for this, but right now we're implying it in the context and messaging rather than flat out spoiling it.

>-Armifer

From: https://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Clerics/Magic%20Talk%20~%20Current%20Cleric%20Magic/view/2409

I recommend reading the discussion in that thread if you haven't already.

My take: I like that there are gods that don't fit into the 13/39 way of doing things. It helps give them with their own identity instead of just being different flavor text, and it provides an example of why worship of the Thirteen is so dominate in Elanthia. When one religion is able to provide real, tangible benefits to its followers, it's no wonder that it's so popular.

I realize that the Prydaen/Rakash gods also provide favors, but they're arguably.. not as good at it.

Now, do the Alaudian gods refuse to provide favors or is it that they can't provide them? I'd love for that question to be explored in game.
Re: Gorbesh Favors 10/08/2019 03:42 PM CDT
>>Now, do the Alaudian gods refuse to provide favors or is it that they can't provide them? I'd love for that question to be explored in game.

That is, in fact, the big question.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Gorbesh Favors 10/08/2019 03:51 PM CDT
To expand a little while still not answering directly:

This is not a setting where faith makes the gods go vroom, or where all gods are equal in scope and interests. Broadly, there is a source of all things referred to by some NPCs simply as the Divine or the One, and the gods are either deeply connected to it or spring bodily from it. Some pantheons are more specific than others in what they give and who they influence, whether by their interests or by innate limitations.

In writing terms, it's exactly that we want the different pantheons to fill different roles instead of being a giant confusion of mechanically and conceptually interchangeable gods (we've already got over 40 that give favors, mind). It's also absolutely correct we want to describe eastern Kermoria as one that has a long standing religious hegemony that has only in the past century or so come to serious contention by competing belief systems.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Gorbesh Favors 10/08/2019 07:14 PM CDT
It makes sense, in terms of the lore of the game, that the Alaudian pantheon does not offer favors. When the Gorbesh die, their souls are ferried away to the Kaneija. The more dead Gorbesh, the bigger the party. The Gorbesh Gods have an active interest in Gorbesh living and dying properly.

However, the mechanics of roleplaying someone invested in the Alaudian pantheon suck. I've suffered many, many years, and many, many deaths with zero favors in favor of a point of roleplaying that probably doesn't impress anyone. What about a compromise? What about the idea of being able to devote yourself, perhaps with an item or some sort of not-favor "favor", that at least allows you to depart with your items? Is there any kind of logic that would allow some kind of base level intervention by the Gorbesh gods, that would open up a lot of potential roleplay and mitigate some of the suck?
Re: Gorbesh Favors 10/08/2019 07:58 PM CDT
>>What about a compromise? What about the idea of being able to devote yourself, perhaps with an item or some sort of not-favor "favor", that at least allows you to depart with your items?

I have an update planned for Glyph of Warding that will hopefully make it considerably more useful and desirable on that front. Please insert one Paladin.

>>Is there any kind of logic that would allow some kind of base level intervention by the Gorbesh gods, that would open up a lot of potential roleplay and mitigate some of the suck?

Not as currently written. I mean, sure, it's all messaging in the end and we can send you whatever messages we ultimately choose to, but in the setting as it's written an adventurer is not going to get any divine whatsits from the Gorbesh gods.

-Armifer
Re: Gorbesh Favors 10/09/2019 12:07 PM CDT

>>I have an update planned for Glyph of Warding that will hopefully make it considerably more useful and desirable on that front. Please insert one Paladin.

Cool, but ultimately not useful to the situation at hand. But I support that there's development going on.

>>Not as currently written. I mean, sure, it's all messaging in the end and we can send you whatever messages we ultimately choose to, but in the setting as it's written an adventurer is not going to get any divine whatsits from the Gorbesh gods.

I'm interested that you stated 'currently written'. In general terms, is there any sort of room for things to change? Could there potentially be a path that opens up these options? What we have is a very interesting block of lore that can't be interacted with without suffering an obnoxious penalty that would otherwise be completely negated.