Kaldar Power 05/26/2012 12:49 PM CDT
Now you guys have had a little taste at HE of what I'm up to. There's more coming in that vein. There's also Teh Sekret Projekt, but that's a ways off as well.

So in the short term -- what sort of things would you like to see more of? Kaldar centered events? Written lore? Are there any burning questions you'd like me to try and find answers to in The Lore (Or just write answers too... though some of the big questions I already know are going to need to play out as events to properly answer). Another OOC mini-meeting like I did when initially taking over for you guys?

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Kaldar Power 05/26/2012 06:13 PM CDT
>>So in the short term -- what sort of things would you like to see more of? Kaldar centered events? Written lore? Are there any burning questions you'd like me to try and find answers to in The Lore (Or just write answers too... though some of the big questions I already know are going to need to play out as events to properly answer). Another OOC mini-meeting like I did when initially taking over for you guys?

1) Kaldar weapons. Something like the sterak axe would be cool: nothing really super-powerful, just an interesting weapon design that would have reflected the unique interests or military needs of Kaldar.

2) Moen takibena. Would murder a hundred elven children to get my hands on some of it, even if it's just alteration fodder.

3) Evidence that Kaldar exist, though I know that's the Supar Sekret project, so I'll be patient on that, lots of other stuff waiting to be developed.

4) An OOC meeting would be cool, complete with Kaldar gift :D. Don't care if it's just some storebought-container template altered to look Kaldaran, I love presents.
Re: Kaldar Power 05/26/2012 07:03 PM CDT
I'll just second racial crafting templates, especially weapons (for my RP at least). Since I missed the first meeting, I'd like one of those too, weekends are manageable.

Lore wise, I appreciate the "vagueness" having a certain appeal in the lore of the Ocular, it might be nice to have some kind of idea what war with them would have actually been like... as opposed to two stories of political imposters. Did they do stuff like maybe shapeshift into giant monsters? Maybe go all mud person and combine to create monsters of greater mass?

Also a clearer picture of gnomish/Kaldar relations/cultural mixing in Albaria.

I like that the various Kaldar tribes in the current lore gives players the option to RP all kinds of different tribal traditions and customs if they want to. I wouldn't want to see excessive detail curtail that wilderness. But the truth is that beyond the Kaldar leaving for the west from Ancient Gorbesh society, there's basically nothing about how the Kaldar got along with any of the several other Albarian races.

Oh, um, maybe an Alaudian favor system? Heh.
Re: Kaldar Power 05/26/2012 07:45 PM CDT
>>1) Kaldar weapons.
>>I'll just second racial crafting templates, especially weapons (for my RP at least).

That's one of those things that didn't make it for HE last year that I'd really been hoping would. I think you'll like what I have in mind (And I've been planning for them to be craftable since the start... which is part of the hold up since I want them to be something special and not just a renamed broadsword or whatever). Oh, and yes, the dragon's tail flail will be features.

>>2) Moen takibena.

Yup.

>>3) Evidence that Kaldar exist, though I know that's the Supar Sekret project, so I'll be patient on that, lots of other stuff waiting to be developed.

I'm not sure I understand you. Operation Sekret Projeckt has nothing to do with proving the existence of Kaldars.

>>4) An OOC meeting would be cool, complete with Kaldar gift :D.

Oh I see how it is. If there isn't punch and pie you don't want to come to the meetings. Fine. I get it. I know my place. :P

>>Lore wise, I appreciate the "vagueness" having a certain appeal in the lore of the Ocular, it might be nice to have some kind of idea what war with them would have actually been like...

Heh, heh.

>>Also a clearer picture of gnomish/Kaldar relations/cultural mixing in Albaria.

Yeah... the Kaldar/Gnome thing is sorta complicated. Not the lore, but what's involved in having a free hand at answering those sort of questions since a lot of it isn't documented anywhere I've been able to find. I'm looking into a solution to that since I keep fielding questions along those lines (Which is totally understandable given their history, but puts me in a somewhat awkward space being in charge of only one race involved).

>>I like that the various Kaldar tribes in the current lore gives players the option to RP all kinds of different tribal traditions and customs if they want to.

We have tribes in the current lore? I know it's something that's been requested and discussed with past Kaldar Khampions and I've seen a few different proposals batted about, but so far as I know there hasn't been any specific lore attached to them IG. As I've mentioned in the past, it's nothing something I'm terribly interested in following through with since it caters to a fairly narrow slice of players and Kaldar as a whole have been so woefully neglected as is.

>>But the truth is that beyond the Kaldar leaving for the west from Ancient Gorbesh society, there's basically nothing about how the Kaldar got along with any of the several other Albarian races.

Nothing explicit really, no. Kaldar lore sort of just stops after they all migrated over here. What happened to Trimbolt? Dunno. But I'd sure like to know. And maybe we will.

Otherwise it's safe to say Kaldar have assimilated fairly well -- You see them in positions of leadership and whatnot. That's another area I can work on expanding the lore, though I don't think there's a lot of depth there to explore event-wise aside from setting down some canon on where things stand.

>>Oh, um, maybe an Alaudian favor system?

Buwahahaha.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Kaldar Power 05/27/2012 03:03 AM CDT
First of all, thanks for asking. I'm so happy to have someone actively thinking about and working on our stuff.

I'd love more events, more interactions with potentially famous, infamous, powerful, interesting Kaldar NPCs. Not too picky here. Mainly just want to see some stable figures who have clear goals and roles to play.

I also really want the answers to the following questions:

1) What was the first experience with the Ocular like? How did the Gorbesh figure out who/what they were and how to kill them? What are the limits of their shapeshifting? Do we know anything about their motives?

2) How exactly is moen takibena used? More details please.

OOC meeting would also be cool, mostly just because it's fun to hang out and chat with other Kaldar players, see what they think about stuff.

The weapons/crafting templates you mention sound really neat too. I am personally hoping for at least one sword or spear type item, as traditional for Tieheq. But really ANY kind of Kaldar weapon/armor/container/jewelry/magical item/other crafted item would be neat. My own preference is to avoid using Gorbesh words (unless maybe they accompany an English word, like 'an izion sword'), and also avoid simply inserting the word "Kaldaran".

>>Oh, um, maybe an Alaudian favor system?

His answer for this has pretty much always been, "No, forever no."

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Kaldar Power 05/27/2012 04:24 AM CDT
>>The weapons/crafting templates you mention sound really neat too. I am personally hoping for at least one sword or spear type item, as traditional for Tieheq. But really ANY kind of Kaldar weapon/armor/container/jewelry/magical item/other crafted item would be neat. My own preference is to avoid using Gorbesh words (unless maybe they accompany an English word, like 'an izion sword'), and also avoid simply inserting the word "Kaldaran".

Dragon's tail flail also please!
Re: Kaldar Power 05/27/2012 05:14 AM CDT
>>What was the first experience with the Ocular like? How did the Gorbesh figure out who/what they were and how to kill them? What are the limits of their shapeshifting? Do we know anything about their motives?

Good question. I haven't decided how far we want to go down the Ocular rabbit hole so to speak, but it is certainly something that shaped Kaldar culture, so it's something I've been toying with. The existence of moen takibena is one of the consequences of that thought process. And, yes, you'll all learn more about that metal at some point.

>>OOC meeting would also be cool, mostly just because it's fun to hang out and chat with other Kaldar players, see what they think about stuff.

I'm leaning towards holding one of these in the nearish future. However "Nearish future" for me involves being busy enough that I'd expect it to be at least a month out.

>>The weapons/crafting templates you mention sound really neat too. I am personally hoping for at least one sword or spear type item, as traditional for Tieheq. But really ANY kind of Kaldar weapon/armor/container/jewelry/magical item/other crafted item would be neat. My own preference is to avoid using Gorbesh words (unless maybe they accompany an English word, like 'an izion sword'), and also avoid simply inserting the word "Kaldaran".

We're on the same page. That's actually where "Dragon's Tail Flail" comes from -- the actual name for the weapon is "Slavi Ameshia" but you'll never see a item called that as far as I'm concerned. Currently I don't have any spears on the roster of weapons I was planning, since I was trying to find some interesting things for them to do that aren't just "Kaldaran X". We'll see -- one of the might make it onto the roster by the time the project is finished.

-Raesh

Re: Kaldar Power 05/27/2012 05:39 AM CDT
>We're on the same page. That's actually where "Dragon's Tail Flail" comes from -- the actual name for the weapon is "Slavi Ameshia" but you'll never see a item called that as far as I'm concerned. Currently I don't have any spears on the roster of weapons I was planning, since I was trying to find some interesting things for them to do that aren't just "Kaldaran X". We'll see -- one of the might make it onto the roster by the time the project is finished.

And I get a free copy of each, right?

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Kaldar Power 05/27/2012 09:05 AM CDT
>Moen takibena. Would murder a hundred elven children to get my hands on some of it, even if it's just alteration fodder.

I know you already said "yup", but still this. I had a ring made for me as a gift at this guildfest that has jade on it instead of the real deal, and it was bittersweet.

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: Kaldar Power 05/27/2012 11:33 AM CDT
Not sure if anyone said "Kaldar Town" yet, but.... Kaldar Town!

I think it'd be cool if an existing unused location (like the deserted village out crossing's west gate or something) was co-opted and revitalized by some Kaldar without any explicit permission from the province, leading to weird and tenuous political climate hanging over our heads. I like weird and tenuous political climates. It'd be like this:

ZOLUREN: What lovely things you've done with the area!

KALDAR: Yes, we like it.

ZOLUREN: Now there is a simple matter of land rights and property taxes.

KALDAR: But... no one was here.

ZOLUREN: We simply must have this whole area reappraised, what with all these improvements.

KALDAR: But... we improved it.

ZOLUREN: Yes, about that... we must also discuss the fines for structural modifications without proper permits. A shame you didn't come to us first.

KALDAR: But... what? Wait... you're making us pay you for the improvements to the land that no one was using so that you can then tax us on those same improvements for the privilege of being allowed to remain in the homes that we JUST built without any kind of support from, let alone representation in, the provincial government? We'd much rather not, thank you.

ZOLUREN: Erm... you can't... just...

KALDAR: I think so. We are rather big, and there are a fair many of us around. Our business won't hurt your economy, and I'm sure you'd much rather be on good relations with us in the inevitable event of the tension between Ilithi the Theren turning sour and spilling into your territory.

ZOLUREN: But... you can't... just...

KALDAR: Good day, sir.

>ZOLUREN exits, flustered.
>curtain.
Re: Kaldar Power 05/27/2012 01:07 PM CDT
Why not have the Kaldar move into one of the many gorbesh fortress's.

KALDAR X: Hey I don't have to duck through the doorways!
KALDAR Y: Noticed that, did you?

You snap your furry fingers.
Re: Kaldar Power 05/27/2012 04:42 PM CDT
>KALDAR X: Hey I don't have to duck through the doorways!
>KALDAR Y: Noticed that, did you?

Pfft. You think Kaldar have it rough?

It ain't easy bein green.

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Re: Kaldar Power 05/27/2012 05:09 PM CDT
This is why we ritually cut Got'Tog's off at the knees.

-Raesh

Re: Kaldar Power 05/27/2012 06:13 PM CDT
>This is why we ritually cut Got'Tog's off at the knees.

And we're still better than Kaldar!

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List: