hail verb and NPCs 04/30/2012 08:18 PM CDT
Hail doesn't work properly on NPC Kaldar/Gnomes :(

Osmandikar strides in.

> wave osman
You wave to Osmandikar.

> look osman
You see Osmandikar, a Kaldar.
Osmandikar has dark eyes. He has long, red hair worn in dreadlocks, tanned skin and the look of a man who was once heavy but is now slim.
He is middle-aged for a Kaldar.

He is wearing a simple silver chain, a dingy white linen shirt with an open neckline, some drab brown breeches and some open-toed sandals.

> hail osman
You go through the motions of the traditional Kaldaran greeting but it just doesn't seem quite right.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: hail verb and NPCs 05/01/2012 12:24 AM CDT
Yeah. It wouldn't.

I'll give it some thought to see if I can come up with a solution, but off the top of my head I think it'd either need to rewrite how NPCs work or I'd need to build in a custom exception to the code for every Kaldar/Gnome NPC.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: hail verb and NPCs 05/01/2012 03:25 AM CDT
>>Yeah. It wouldn't.

Really? I could have sworn I hailed that blue-haired Kaldar merchant at HE.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: hail verb and NPCs 05/01/2012 04:06 AM CDT
By merchant do you mean GMNPC or NPC? They're not the same thing (mechanically) at all.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: hail verb and NPCs 05/01/2012 06:19 AM CDT
>>By merchant do you mean GMNPC or NPC? They're not the same thing (mechanically) at all.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about GMNPCs, because I recognized the name Osmandikar as a GMNPC. The merchant I was referring to was also a GMNPC.

But if he's an NPC, then yes, I see the problem.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: hail verb and NPCs 05/01/2012 09:20 AM CDT
>>I think it'd either need to rewrite how NPCs work or I'd need to build in a custom exception to the code for every Kaldar/Gnome NPC.

Both solutions sound easy enough for the rare times where I'll remember a GMNPC is Kaldar/Gnome and want to hail them. :(

Thanks for giving a clear explanation for why it's not just a switch flip type of deal though, heh.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: hail verb and NPCs 05/10/2012 05:15 AM CDT
>>Both solutions sound easy enough for the rare times where I'll remember a GMNPC is Kaldar/Gnome and want to hail them. :(

A bit late to the party here, but you can hail GMNPCs. I suppose GM-PC would be more accurate, as to my understanding they are mechanically the same thing as PCs, only with super happy fun GM editing powers (i.e. they show up in the 'Also here' category in the room description instead of in the room text like an NPC merchant.)

Once the GM evacuates said GMNPC, however, they again become a standard NPC (assuming they stick around in the room), and hail does not work anymore.
Re: hail verb and NPCs 05/10/2012 09:33 AM CDT
Mechanically speaking (Not lorewise, this is all totally OOC) you have:

GMNPCs -- These are basically "players" run by GMs. They're still NPCs, since we're not players. (Hail will work)
NPCs -- These are what you find chillin' all over the game. (Hail will NOT work)
GM animated NPCs -- These are when a GM is running one of the above mentioned NPCs. They tend to look sorta like a talking critter (And sometimes are!). (Hail will still NOT work).

-Raesh

Re: hail verb and NPCs 05/10/2012 10:14 AM CDT
>>A bit late to the party here, but you can hail GMNPCs.

I meant to say NPC in my sarcastic/snarky response.