Alaudian Empire 04/23/2012 11:50 PM CDT
This is probably more a question for the Killer Toad...

So it's occured to me, in checking the former posts about the history of the Alaudian Empire, that it has been 50 Elanthian years since the end of the Red Winter (Gorbesh forces were recalled in 355, and it's now 405). Is Giesa still the Emperor, or has he been suceeded? If so, by whom?

Echo (over in Plat) just came to Kermoria a few months ago, her father being executed and she, her mother and her little sister having been banished from the Alaudian Empire for worship of the 13. Seems like who is, or isn't Emperor (and responsible for her banishment) would be something she would know. :D

Thanks for any enlightenment!

-Echelonia
Re: Alaudian Empire 04/24/2012 01:24 AM CDT
>>Echo (over in Plat) just came to Kermoria a few months ago, her father being executed and she, her mother and her little sister having been banished from the Alaudian Empire for worship of the 13. Seems like who is, or isn't Emperor (and responsible for her banishment) would be something she would know. :D

If I am remiss on any of this Raesh can of course correct me, but I believe this backstory creates complications with in-game lore. The influx of Kaldar/Gnome/Rakash/Prydaen refugees through the Dark Hand was a one-time event set back when the new races were first released; there is no road connecting Kermoria readily to Albaria, nor are there a steady stream of refugees that have been banished as political exiles from an oppressive Gorbesh government.

I suppose it is feasible that Echo's family arrived upon a lonely and decrepit Albarian trading vessel, but it has been stated previously that Albaria and Kermoria have almost no contact currently, so there would be some hand-waving involved :).
Re: Alaudian Empire 04/24/2012 01:29 AM CDT
<<I suppose it is feasible that Echo's family arrived upon a lonely and decrepit Albarian trading vessel, but it has been stated previously that Albaria and Kermoria have almost no contact currently, so there would be some hand-waving involved :).

I'm sure there are a few "merchant" vessels making runs to Albaria simply because it's profitable to do so. Kaldaran homesteaders probably pay pretty exceptionally for rare goods from their homeland.

There's just no steady stream of refugees any more.
Re: Alaudian Empire 04/24/2012 01:32 AM CDT
>>The influx of Kaldar/Gnome/Rakash/Prydaen refugees through the Dark Hand was a one-time event set back when the new races were first released; there is no road connecting Kermoria readily to Albaria, nor are there a steady stream of refugees that have been banished as political exiles from an oppressive Gorbesh government.

So far as I know there isn't any specific canonical lore set down on this (As I've mentioned most of the material I'm working with is fairly scattered and ill documented. It's... unfortunate). The general idea is that the migration was a specific event not an ongoing thing, and that travel between the two continents isn't impossible but it's very impractical and uncommon.

I don't see nothing wrong with the backstory, though such a journey would have been long, difficult and quite unusual -- but then, most PCs have backgrounds that when you get down to it are unusual.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Alaudian Empire 04/24/2012 01:40 AM CDT
>>So far as I know there isn't any specific canonical lore set down on this (As I've mentioned most of the material I'm working with is fairly scattered and ill documented. It's... unfortunate). The general idea is that the migration was a specific event not an ongoing thing, and that travel between the two continents isn't impossible but it's very impractical and uncommon.

There is no canonical lore to my knowledge either, and I am sure you would know more about that then me. My general impression of the current state of trade and communication comes from some of Armifer's previous posts about questions pertaining to the current state of Albarian affairs, though I am by no means trying to put words into his mouth. (I can't seem to find said posts on e-pedia sadly, just for reference.)

If you decide to make some canonical lore to answer the question I sure wouldn't mind!
Re: Alaudian Empire 04/24/2012 02:33 AM CDT
>>I don't see nothing wrong with the backstory, though such a journey would have been long, difficult and quite unusual -- but then, most PCs have backgrounds that when you get down to it are unusual.<<

That is definitely the case with Echo's family. It was a long ordeal over months and months to arrive safely in Kermoria for the three survivors. Ultimately Echo became the 'protector' figure of the family (who exist offscreen, living in a small tent in the wilds outside of Crossings). This definitely informs the fact that she's exceptionally combat heavy for a Trader, training all armors, 8 weapons, etc. She does, however, identify herself as Kaldar and not Gorbesh now, despite being born/raised in Eimetek, with a father who was a captain in the Imperial army . She is slowly learning to speak Kermorian Common thanks to the patience of her fellow adventurers. :)

She's a lot of fun to play, I only wish I actually HAD time to play lately! :/

-Echelonia
Re: Alaudian Empire 04/24/2012 06:24 AM CDT
To address your question about the current Emperor...

Emperor Giesa ascended the throne in 320, and it is now 85 years later. The max Kaldar lifespan is 135, so it's entirely possible that Giesa ascended at age 30 and is now thus 115 years old and still going.

Also, the aging of adventurers (and certain NPCs) is slowed by access to Empathic healing, adding 100 years to their lifespans. Therefore Giesa could conceivably remain emperor for many years to come.

Barring Raesh making a call on this issue in this thread, I would stick to the default scenario of Emperor Giesa being alive and well.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Alaudian Empire 04/25/2012 03:07 PM CDT
I've always thought as Raesh seems to, that the path from Albaria to Kermoria through the Dark Hand is still quite possible, and potentially infrequently in use. Travel through the Dark Hand is ICly incredibly rough and dangerous, but there is nothing physically, lore wise, impairing movement between Albaria and Kermoria other than the "perils of the road." No earthquakes, no sunken land bridges, etc etc. Just a lot of dangerous territory to get through.
Re: Alaudian Empire 04/25/2012 09:00 PM CDT
Well, I'd say "Lack of knowledge" factors in there too. You'll note in the timeline the migration didn't happen until "Kaldaran Elders return to their people in the West with knowledge of how to pass the Dark Hand".

So it's not something you need magic to do, but it requires some rather uncommon knowledge and is physically grueling.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose