Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/09/2012 06:36 PM CDT
I took a very long break from playing, and feel completely disconnected from my character RP-wise. She's only circle 20 anyway. I was toying with the idea of creating a Kaldar (or possibly Gorbesh), but I'm curious if there are any active Kaldar enclaves or groups around the realms?

Thanks!
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/09/2012 07:25 PM CDT
There's a Sekret Operation: Kaldar.

I should tell you guys about it some day.

-Raesh

PS: Kachaz vas Tlavek

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/09/2012 09:27 PM CDT
What was that post script?

Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/09/2012 09:30 PM CDT
>What was that post script?

Angry German speaking Cantonese with a head cold.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/09/2012 09:32 PM CDT
Interesting, is there a translation of that or no?

Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/09/2012 09:34 PM CDT
Glancing briefly over the Gorbesh language book on Elanthipedia, it looks like something about an 'iron village' or something to that affect.

- Miskton
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/09/2012 09:39 PM CDT
Sounds very Yoseph Stalinish.

Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/10/2012 04:19 AM CDT
>>I took a very long break from playing, and feel completely disconnected from my character RP-wise. She's only circle 20 anyway. I was toying with the idea of creating a Kaldar (or possibly Gorbesh), but I'm curious if there are any active Kaldar enclaves or groups around the realms?

There are many active Kaldar players around, though there are no official groups. Kaldar are very intersting, I would highly recommend you try one. If you're interested in reading material for a possible kaldar character, I suggest:

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:Kaldar_and_the_Thirteen_-_10/18/2011_-_06:36

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Religion_in_Gorbesh_Society_%28book%29

(Quick note before third reading material: the conflicting cultural influence between waning traditional worship of Gorbesh gods and worship of the 13 is one of the most interesting racially-based roleplay angles.)

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Albarian_Timeline_%28Gorbesh_Imperial_Age%29 (Start towards the bottom, after Lanival's victory, for more relevant info about the distinction between Kaldar and Gorbesh)

>>PS: Kachaz vas Tlavek

I suppose this Iron Village is gonna release alongside the Gnome Village, huh?
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/10/2012 04:21 AM CDT
All hail Elanthipedia.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/10/2012 05:28 AM CDT
>>I suppose this Iron Village is gonna release alongside the Gnome Village, huh?

I currently have no involvement with any villages made of Gnomes.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/10/2012 11:48 AM CDT
>>I currently have no involvement with any villages made of Gnomes.

But they're the prefect size to use as bolts to hold together the houses in the village...

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/11/2012 04:03 AM CDT
>>I'm curious if there are any active Kaldar enclaves or groups around the realms?

We have a small group of active Kaldar based in Shard, about ten of us, including a local family of about five. You are more than welcome to come down and hang.

If you have any particular questions or are looking for other Kaldar to tie into your RP, feel free to IM me at Eyuve.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/11/2012 10:44 AM CDT
>>I'm curious if there are any active Kaldar enclaves or groups around the realms?

There's also a small family of Kaldar (3 right now) that had mainly been up Theren way but are currently down near Boar Clan if you're looking for more to talk to. Originally from the Arid Steppe and the Nomad Tribes there, keep your eyes out for the Leshyahen.

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/14/2012 11:46 AM CDT
Thank you for all the replies, it's appreciated!

I had read up a lot on Elanthipedia about the Gorbesh/Kaldar which is what had gotten me interested to begin with.

I've never really been down to Illithi, other than to shop a time or two long ago. IIRC they changed the trade route to include a somewhat dangerous outpost, yes? What kind of ranks in combats will she need to actually relocate there permanently? Right now I have her up in Zoluren for the time being to get some cirles under her belt.
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/14/2012 06:07 PM CDT
>>I've never really been down to Illithi, other than to shop a time or two long ago. IIRC they changed the trade route to include a somewhat dangerous outpost, yes?

The Southern Trade Route from Crossing to Shard is pretty safe. I think maybe very occasionally a snowbeast will wander onto the trade road, but that's it. The route from Shard to Hibarnhvidar is much more dangerous, but that's not Ilithi.

>>What kind of ranks in combats will she need to actually relocate there permanently?

Basically, you could probably do jackals (30s) -> eels, and later rock trolls (80s) -> snowbeasts/kobold savages -> gargs -> la'tami -> frostweyr bears -> red leucros -> gryphons, which take you up to 400+ ranks. The main problems are 1) you have to run through a very dangerous area to get to eels, and 2) there's a fair gap between eels and rock trolls that will probably require going up north to catch beisswurms and then blood wolves/sand sprites.

If you care about boxes you might require a different progression that I know less about, but between trolls, savages, gargs, and Undershard you might do okay for a while.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/15/2012 12:45 AM CDT

>>The Southern Trade Route from Crossing to Shard is pretty safe. I think maybe very occasionally a snowbeast will wander onto the trade road, but that's it. The route from Shard to Hibarnhvidar is much more dangerous, but that's not Ilithi.<

Hrm, I really thought there was at least one trader outpost that was added down there in the last decade or so that is dangerous to get to. I seem to remember a time where the Shard routes were preferable for young traders, and then something changed (maybe because of all the zombie scripting traders at the time?). I'd seriously prefer to get Xosedia out of Zoluren, but I also need to be able to train her primary skill as well.

My other question would be whether or not Shard has forging and outfitting societies, since with her backstory crafting is going to fit in quite heavily.
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/15/2012 12:47 AM CDT
> Hrm, I really thought there was at least one trader outpost that was added down there in the last decade or so that is dangerous to get to.

Is there one in Horse Clan? Because that would be dangerous.

> My other question would be whether or not Shard has forging and outfitting societies

It has an excellent forging society. No outfitting society yet.
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/15/2012 01:26 AM CDT
Dutosa is a Trader based in Ilithi (also a Kaldar), and I'm sure he'd be able to help you out with tips (and probably even Trading classes).

I just asked him about outposts, and he had these things to report:

1) There are only 4 outposts (you may view this as either a positive or a negative).

2) There are no followable routes.

3) There is a mud pit south of Shard that will make you fall flat on your face in the middle of a critter area -- however, you can overcome this with about 15 ranks of Escaping.

4) You will have to lead your caravan through critter areas (like eidolon steeds). However this isn't that dangerous as you can still move relatively quickly. At least in his opinion, it's not much more dangerous than the routes where you have to lead through goblins, etc.

5) The worst and most dangerous part is that you must lead your caravan down a path that will leave you standing in 30 seconds of RT in the middle of rock trolls. Thus you should wait until you're comfortable with doing that.

I know that Traders aren't set up to be combat powerhouses, but I find that getting up to rock troll level (as other guilds) can go pretty fast if you go with the right critters. Alternatively, there's a lot of good RP in Ilithi and you might be able to hire a bodyguard.

If you decide to come down and want to go the combat route, again I'm happy to answer questions via IM (Eyuve), or we could take the discussion to one of the combat boards.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/15/2012 02:08 AM CDT
Thanks for the info!

I knew something had changed down there where one of the outposts was a little hairy to get to.

>>I know that Traders aren't set up to be combat powerhouses, but I find that getting up to rock troll level (as other guilds) can go pretty fast if you go with the right critters. Alternatively, there's a lot of good RP in Ilithi and you might be able to hire a bodyguard.<<

I like the idea there are only 4 outposts. I don't script trading, so yeah, less is more in that regard!

Other than for the life of me I can't remember a thing about the Elothian I have now in terms of personality or backstory it seems I trained her to the current reqs and nothing more. One weapon, only leather armor (at 30 ranks) and all mental stats, she is, simply put, horrible to play. I'm trying to correct that with Xosedia, training multiple armors and weapons and focusing more on physical stats at the moment. She's in scavenger goblins for now, and once she's capped them, then I'll start to take a look at my options.

I definitely want to move her down to Shard, it's just a matter of when will be the right time. I may just hold off and do it after Guildfest, since that's really just right around the corner.

Back on the crafting topic, is the only mine down there the one in A'danf? Are metal deeds transferable between provinces? If they are, I might want to spend some quality time in the Dirge mine before moving. :)

Thanks again for the replies!
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/15/2012 02:15 AM CDT
>is the only mine down there the one in A'danf?

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Mines

>Are metal deeds transferable between provinces?

Yes, they are.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/15/2012 03:25 PM CDT
If Kaldar rp is what you seek, Shard's a good place, though I would heavily recommend you stay in Zoluren or consider Therengia for purposes of combat training until you hit 150+ ranks. There are significant gaps in the hunting ladder near Shard; they are not by any means untenable, but Zoluren and Therengia have a much more clear and natural progression, which is made even more important by Traders' almost complete lack of special buffs or combat abilities.

>>I like the idea there are only 4 outposts. I don't script trading, so yeah, less is more in that regard!

You're going to want to at least partially script caravans in Ilithi, if you do them. It's not too bad for most of the trade routes in Zoluren and Therengia, as you can just <tell caravan to lead to xxx> to take you most of the way, but caravans are the most monotonous, soul-sapping training system in the entire game.

Eidilon steeds and rock trolls are much more dangerous than hogs out the west gate (goblins do not wander into the trade route anymore). Once you've hit about 100 ranks of combat you will be able to handle them well enough, but with tertiary weapon skills and parry/multi you're probably looking at circle 40+ before you reach those ranks, and that's if you overhunt a significant amount compared to your circle requirements. Even at-level, eidilon steeds hit like trucks. The difference is literally an order of magnitude (100 ranks for trolls and steeds vs. 10 for musk hogs).

In Ilithi, you will be sacrificing the commodities system (only present in Zoluren), which is actually a source of significant trading experience that can be done in conjunction with Zoluren trade routes. The frequency of pouches is also less. There are gem shops to finance in Ilithi, which is wonderful, but is again a circle 40+ feat and not something that should influence the decision of a newborn Trader.

Having tried all five provinces with my Trader, I would say Zoluren is the clear choice. It's safe, efficient, and the development for trading experience easly favors it. Once you are big enough to have a Trader shop, finance gem shops, etc. Ilithi is a very attractive option, but there is a reason most Traders stay in Zoluren for a long time, and it's not just because the trading scripts are written for Zoluren (though that obviously is a factor, as there are many scripto-Traders).
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/15/2012 05:56 PM CDT
>>is the only mine down there the one in A'danf?

The only mine in Ilithi is in the Adan'f area, yes. However, there is a significant portion that is critter-free. You do have to run through an Adan'f area to get to it, and some swimming and climbing ranks are required to explore the whole thing (at most 100 ranks of swimming, possibly much less, climbing around the same but not completely sure on that one).

There are also two mines in Forfedhdar, one near Hib and the other in Ain Ghazal. The Hib mine is populated by retch fiends (130s+) and the Ain mine is populated by cave trolls (250s+). Once you get to those levels of combat, and are comfortable traversing the road to Hib, they can be good options, particularly the Hib one.

>>though I would heavily recommend you stay in Zoluren or consider Therengia

I don't want to mislead you, Xosedia. Ilithi is certainly more of a challenge than Zoluren (can't speak for Therengia but probably also true). However it is possible to do, even as a Trader, with Dutosa as proof. It's up to you if you want to try it out, but if you do, let us know and we can help.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/16/2012 04:34 PM CDT

>> that's if you overhunt a significant amount compared to your circle requirements. Even at-level, eidilon steeds hit like trucks.<<

That's what I'm doing at the moment. Considering the 3.0 change to Trader reqs, it makes more sense to do this to me from the outset, particually since I would only be 'grandfathered' one weapon req at minimal levels for the first circles. Might as well just train them for myself from the ground up.

>>caravans are the most monotonous, soul-sapping training system in the entire game.<<

I really agree with the folks who think that crafting work orders should teach trading, would make any province viable to advance in as long as there are crafting societies.

I think I'm looking at staying in Zoluren for the short term, because it's pretty clear I need to get those first 100+ combat ranks. I enjoy combat now though, so at least that portion of training isn't something that I backburner until I 'have' to do it.

Thanks for all the replies they've really helped me get more of a strategy ingrained in my mind. I just need to get her to the point where I can relocate her to Shard, then I will definitely be joining the Kaldar RP down there. :)
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/16/2012 05:10 PM CDT
>>Thanks for all the replies they've really helped me get more of a strategy ingrained in my mind. I just need to get her to the point where I can relocate her to Shard, then I will definitely be joining the Kaldar RP down there. :)

Cool, glad to be of help. Look forward to seeing you when you get there.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Kaldar/Gorbesh? 04/17/2012 01:42 AM CDT
Oh, and I forgot to mention, you will need about ~160 ranks of climbing to get into la'tami (maybe a bit less with a climbing rope, or cjs). So train that climbing!

-- Player of Eyuve