Garbs and more 10/29/2011 10:18 AM CDT
Given that HE11 is out now... I figure I'll just leave this here. I assume you'll know what to do with it.

Muhenta - a simple cord necklace with a holy symbol, and sometimes a few beads on either side. They are commonly worn by Kaldars of all social classes, though members of the clergy will occasionally wear more ornate variants.

For the Clergy:
Arek domisaha - a round, low close fitting hat made of wool, trimmed with metal knotwork or braided spiral around the circumference.

Lusks domisaha - a long, heavy coat made of soft wool that buttons to the waist and flares out slightly below. They are usually a solid color with minimal or no decorative designs, though the wrist clasps are often ornate.

Note The arek and lusks usually match in color and design, and in all cases the metal is moen takibena* when available, though other precious metals are increasingly common due to lack of availability and a decreased threat from the Ocular.

Kisti - a wide (2.5-3") leather belt with a simple clasp, that is decorated along its length with engraved metal plates. Most commonly the design is a repeating symbol showing devotion to one god, though devotion to all gods is sometimes demonstrated as well whether this be 10 or 13 plates.

Moen takibena - A rare metal found primarily in Albaria, it is pale green and has adverse effects on Oculars when it comes into contact with them. It tends to be used as a decorative device, forming symbols on weapons used to fight the Ocular as well as on religious paraphernalia. It's important in Kaldaran society has drastically decreased since the migration.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Garbs and more 10/29/2011 10:53 AM CDT
One,
>They are usually a solid color with minimal or no decorative designs, though the wrist clasps are often ornate.

Cool. What's a wrist clasp?

Two,
Any chance stuff like 'moen takibena' will crop up as some sort of Maker Mark perk deed for Crafting 3.0?
Re: Garbs and more 10/29/2011 12:02 PM CDT
A clasp located near the wrist.

Tongue in cheek answers aside, they're essentially just an overly complicated and ornate way to fasten the sleeves of your jacket.

And to answer the unasked question -- Yes -- that's what's for sale at HE (you'll know the shops) they are simply named in a way that people can recognize them without speaking Gorbesh. But you're welcome to use their proper names to feel snobbish.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Garbs and more 10/29/2011 01:56 PM CDT
Some very nice stuff there; I do enjoy the new cultural items a great deal. I'm certainly excited to see it, even if the cambrinth armbands do run a bit rich for my blood for what they are. I guess that's the price of new designs, eh?

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: Garbs and more 10/29/2011 04:41 PM CDT
Raesh, I posted more detail in Abilities Skills and Magic/Bugs, but it seems the cambrinth kisti is bugged. It will charge, but won't discharge. I bought the one for the thirteen, if it makes a difference.
Re: Garbs and more 10/29/2011 05:44 PM CDT
Well... that was an interesting bug. Learn something every day.

Anyhow, it's fixed now. As are the coats and skullcaps.

-Raesh

Re: Garbs and more 10/29/2011 06:14 PM CDT
> Well... that was an interesting bug. Learn something every day.

It was also having a weird interaction with enchantes and other camb. By focusing on the belt, it would suppress some of my other camb, preventing them from draining into an enchante (but they would still work with spells). But it wasn't suppressing all my camb, just some of it. That seems to have been fixed too, but was weird.
Re: Garbs and more 10/30/2011 04:50 AM CDT
Where is this I haven't managed to find it yet?
Re: Garbs and more 10/30/2011 05:08 AM CDT
Raesh you have done bad things.

Non-English items are a very, very bad trend in this game.
Re: Garbs and more 10/30/2011 06:17 AM CDT
> Raesh you have done bad things.

> Non-English items are a very, very bad trend in this game.

Then you should be pleased he didn't do that. Here's the kisti, for example: You tap a wide leather belt decorated with engraved cambrinth plates that you are wearing.
Re: Garbs and more 10/30/2011 06:46 AM CDT
>>Non-English items are a very, very bad trend in this game.

At the risk of quoting myself... I'll quote myself:

>they are simply named in a way that people can recognize them without speaking Gorbesh. But you're welcome to use their proper names to feel snobbish.

-Raesh

Re: Garbs and more 10/30/2011 09:38 AM CDT
My mistake. Thanks for not making me look up made-up words.
Re: Garbs and more 10/31/2011 03:42 AM CDT
Not to burst any balloons but...

I'm kinda disappointed in the selection of Kaldar-related items. I really don't feel there's anything that differentiates them from ordinary every day items aside from symbols, which I abhor anyway. I felt non-English terms were pretty successful when it came to Kaldar/Gorbesh, particularly items like the sochi(which I feel is pretty obvious).

I'm particularly turned off at how all the items are religion-oriented, and more-so that they're mirrored in an opposing 13 shop. It just seems kinda lazy and boring if you ask me. I feel like it would have been more of a success had you actually given the items their Kaldar names instead of just making them bland and uninteresting.

Also, is this the extent of everything Kaldar-oriented or is there still more to come at this fest?
Re: Garbs and more 10/31/2011 04:12 AM CDT
The fact that they are religious in theme is very intentional -- people frequently request more to do with the Ten, and the Kaldar view of the Thirteen is new.

As far as Kaldar shops for HE11 are concerned... yes, two very large shops dedicated to a single race are "it". That is by no means the extent of my plans for the Kaldar race of course.

As far as naming the items, a great deal of discussion was had between me and a number of other GMs before deciding this was the direction to go. It comes back to the "polearm vs banana" problem with text. If someone walks in holding a fnordinator your character can quickly tell if it's a tasty fruit the person is about to eat, or a large pike-like piece of metal they're about to violently introduce you to, even if they don't know that it's called a fnordinator. However if we call it a fnordinator, you lose the ability to do this.

I'm sorry you find the selection boring, but if you don't like symbols and you don't like religious items... no, I imagine these two shops aren't going to appeal to you much. Not every shop is for everybody.

-Raesh

Re: Garbs and more 10/31/2011 06:23 AM CDT
Which shop is a Kaldar shop besies Tieheq of the Thirteen?
Malkien
Re: Garbs and more 10/31/2011 07:44 AM CDT
> Which shop is a Kaldar shop besies Tieheq of the Thirteen?

Idon Abide the Ten. It's the Thirteen analog.
Re: Garbs and more 11/01/2011 09:05 AM CDT
Two quick comments...

1- I don't find the selection in the shops boring, I think they're pretty awesome.

2- You used Idon in the name of one of them. That alone makes it metal.

Definitely fueling that urge to make a Kaldar alt.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Garbs and more 11/01/2011 04:56 PM CDT
>>Definitely fueling that urge to make a Kaldar alt.

Join ussss....

;)

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Garbs and more 11/05/2011 02:21 PM CDT
>As far as naming the items, a great deal of discussion was had between me and a number of other GMs before deciding this was the direction to go. It comes back to the "polearm vs banana" problem with text. If someone walks in holding a fnordinator your character can quickly tell if it's a tasty fruit the person is about to eat, or a large pike-like piece of metal they're about to violently introduce you to, even if they don't know that it's called a fnordinator. However if we call it a fnordinator, you lose the ability to do this.

I am glad you decided on this, I know the issue has been brought up before. In particular the Rakash weapons that were sold by the merchant a few years ago are some of the worst culprits. If I hadn't bought a Vilks Kodur myself I would have no idea it was a 2HB weapon even if someone was swinging it unless I could actually appraise it.
RAEEEEEESH 11/08/2011 12:44 PM CST
I smell the pungent aroma of toad on those alterers earlier today. I'll post a log in a bit. Awesome, awesome work whoever that was.
Malkien
Sekani and Vyusher log 11/08/2011 01:30 PM CST
tl;dr -

Two new Kaldar alterers appeared today. They are sisters, Vyusher and Sekani, both Sturin, though Vyusher follows the Ten still while Sekani has adopted Kaldar worship of the Thirteen. They own Tieheq of the Thirteen and Idon Abide the Ten, respectively. They do not get along. Log below.

You see Sturin Sekani, a Kaldar. (13)
Sekani has an angular face with frown lines around her mouth, tilted crystal blue eyes and an aquiline nose. Her deep blue hair is very long and thick. She has exquisitely pale skin and a lissome figure.
She is tall for a Kaldar.
She appears to be an adult.
Fused into the palm of her right hand is some pale green metal in the shape of a fanged serpent.
She is in good shape.

She is wearing a black wool skullcap trimmed with gold knotwork, a black silk cord strung with a golden fanged serpent, a stiff black ankle-length coat with ornate gold wrist clasps, a wide leather belt decorated with engraved gold plates and some pitch black leather boots.

You see Sturin Vyusher, a Kaldar. (10)
Vyusher has an angular face with frown lines around her mouth, tilted crystal blue eyes and an aquiline nose. Her frost-white hair is very long and thick. She has exquisitely pale skin and a lissome figure.
She is tall for a Kaldar.
She appears to be an adult.
Fused into the palm of her right hand is some pale green metal in the shape of a rimewolf.
She is in good shape.

She is wearing a white wool skullcap trimmed with gold knotwork, a black silk cord strung with a gold rimewolf, a stiff white ankle-length coat with ornate gold wrist clasps, a wide leather belt decorated with engraved gold plates and some pure white leather boots.
>
Malkien
Re: Sekani and Vyusher log 11/08/2011 01:33 PM CST
Aaaand... it appears I lost the log. Oh well. It was very entertaining to watch them fight and then Vyusher storm out. Kudos.
Malkien
Re: Sekani and Vyusher log 11/08/2011 03:08 PM CST
Darn! I'm upset I missed them now! If anyone has a log, please post.

Awesome though. :)

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Sekani and Vyusher log 11/08/2011 03:24 PM CST
I have to say kudos to Raesh, even if he wasn't the one controlling the two of them. The spiritual and cultural conflict between adopted worship and honoring the old gods is, I think, the most significant long-term roleplay development Kaldar have ever seen.
Malkien
Re: Sekani and Vyusher log 11/08/2011 05:55 PM CST
I'd just like to add to the thanks for those two, disappointed I missed the sisters' conflict but still had a lot of fun with Sekani. Great to see the Kaldar merchants out there and hoping Vyusher decides to make another appearance,

Oritai Jerecis Luyovathe, Siron vaz Wena
-player of
Re: Sekani and Vyusher log 11/08/2011 07:46 PM CST
Big thumbs up to the sisters and what they represent in terms of the spiritual tensions apparent in the Kaldaran community. And extra thanks for Vyusher for coming back and humoring me!

-Broichan Leshyahen

> hum tuneless
You hum a tuneless tune.
Re: Sekani and Vyusher log 11/09/2011 08:32 PM CST
>>Big thumbs up to the sisters and what they represent in terms of the spiritual tensions apparent in the Kaldaran community.

Just a minor note here, there is a lot more going on between these two than just spiritual disagreements. I'd be leery of extrapolating a fight between siblings into assuming that is how the majority of either religion view each other.

There is certainly tension between the two religions, but it usually isn't openly hostile.

-Raesh

Re: Sekani and Vyusher log 11/10/2011 11:23 AM CST
Even though I was on a character who couldn't understand Gorbesh, I think Vyusher and Sekani were two of my favorite alterers to sit through. I'll echo a few people and say that I really hope Vyusher comes back because I was really looking forward to interacting with her. Stand up job on these two (even with me needing to have people translate what was happening constantly).
Re: Sekani and Vyusher log 11/14/2011 01:47 AM CST
About Sekani and Vyusher...

1) What's the lore on the pale green metal fused into their hands? This sounds like some seriously hardcore body modification.

2) Can I have some fused into MY Kaldar's hands?
Re: Sekani and Vyusher log 11/14/2011 03:31 AM CST
>2) Can I have some fused into MY Kaldar's hands?

Come by the Haven forge, I'd be happy to insert metal into any body part you like. :P

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Sekani and Vyusher log 11/14/2011 05:31 AM CST
>>What's the lore on the pale green metal fused into their hands? This sounds like some seriously hardcore body modification.

I asked Sekani about this, and she mentioned something about a trial of worth (presumably to become a Sturin?). I asked how I could get one and she made a joke much like Caraamon, IIRC (stab metal into your hand). I do not believe there is yet existing lore on the metal itself or the process of placing it in the hand as a symbol of religious devotion. If I am wrong about the lack of lore, I'd be delighted to know, as I am also very curious.
Malkien
Re: Sekani and Vyusher log 11/14/2011 06:53 AM CST
The pale green metal is moen takibena, a metal Raesh mentioned in his "Garbs and more" post (link below).

Moen takibena - A rare metal found primarily in Albaria, it is pale green and has adverse effects on Oculars when it comes into contact with them. It tends to be used as a decorative device, forming symbols on weapons used to fight the Ocular as well as on religious paraphernalia. It's important in Kaldaran society has drastically decreased since the migration.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Post:Garbs_and_more_-_10/29/2011_-_10:18

I was hoping for at least a few items that had some for use in a design, but none of the items in the shop actually had any in them from what I can tell.
Re: Sekani and Vyusher log 11/14/2011 07:10 AM CST
Ah that's right, I do recall that post. Thanks for reminding me.
Malkien
Re: Sekani and Vyusher log 11/14/2011 02:44 PM CST
You are correct about what the metal was.

Largely it was an Easter egg for now, that I'm glad people noticed. You'll find out more in time.

-Raesh

Re: Sekani and Vyusher log 11/15/2011 12:35 AM CST
>>...has adverse effects on Oculars when it comes into contact with them.

>>You'll find out more in time.

Let the paranoia commence. sweeeeeeet.
Re: Sekani and Vyusher log 11/15/2011 10:36 AM CST
>>...has adverse effects on Oculars when it comes into contact with them.

>>You'll find out more in time.

>Let the paranoia commence. sweeeeeeet.

I don't know about Paranoia, I am more thinking suspense, thriller, what will happen next, edge of your seats.

Well maybe not edge of your seats (at least for me), but I am waiting in anticipation for what comes next.

[To Toad of Fate: Could we hire you over in the Elves area after you serve in the Kaldaran arena for a few years, yes I know few years. But I've been here for over two, and well elves seem more or less what they were 15 years ago. A lot of depth, but some of it got twisty turny (not mysterious but, umm how did that get put with that, which ones right... of course it could just be what I recall from what little is not new :ponder:) Of course if I ever get a concentrated effort I'll try with my own push].

Oh and keep up with this stuff in the Kaldaran area, it makes me like playing my Kaldaran (glad I bought him a ticket for the Festival too).

Re: Sekani and Vyusher log 11/15/2011 12:45 PM CST
My preferred defense is an Olvi strapped to the leg. Brings those Ocular out every time.

DR Armorcrafting 3.0:
http://tinyurl.com/drarmor3

DR Blacksmithing Tools 3.0:
http://www.tinyurl.com/DRBSTools3

DR Crafting Calc:
http://tinyurl.com/DRCraftCalc
Re: Sekani and Vyusher log 11/16/2011 12:30 AM CST
>>[To Toad of Fate: Could we hire you over in the Elves area after you serve in the Kaldaran arena for a few years, yes I know few years.

Back away from the Toad.

<guards protectively>

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Sekani and Vyusher log 11/16/2011 08:04 AM CST
<<[To Toad of Fate: Could we hire you over in the Elves area after you serve in the Kaldaran arena for a few years, yes I know few years. But I've been here for over two, and well elves seem more or less what they were 15 years ago. A lot of depth, but some of it got twisty turny (not mysterious but, umm how did that get put with that, which ones right... of course it could just be what I recall from what little is not new :ponder:) Of course if I ever get a concentrated effort I'll try with my own push].

Elves have more lore than the Seven-Star Empire.

You just have to go read it.