human stuff (was Re: Racial Patriot) 03/10/2009 05:11 AM CDT
>>There's the taisgwelduan in the LTB tent. But then telo is Gamgweth for sword, except that it's a an Elven weapon. :(

Yeah, the telo is exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote my first post, actually. =/ I wasn't aware of the taisgwelduan, though. Is there any indication that it's actually a weapon with some significance to humans (outside of the gamgweth name)? I guess I'm concerned about the telo factor of it.

>>but yeah, saying human culture is less fleshed out isn't really true. Everything that's NOT a dwarven whatever, or elven whatever, IS the human version. Human culture in this, as in all fantasy rpg's I'm familiar with, is the norm.

Except that in a lot that I'm familiar with, it's not, or, at least, not so 'because we didn't say anything about it directly, just assume what everyone does/has that ISN'T otherwise racial is human'. A great close to home example of this is the human empire lore for GS.

The empire isn't even really a place that you can GO in that game, and yet, because it neighbors the area the game is played in and many humans in the outlying areas (which ARE in game) at least have ties to the empire in some way, they fully fleshed out each of the distinct cultural (clothing, food, things believed important or taboo, etc) regions throughout it.

We get tiny bits and pieces of clan information and even tinier bits and pieces of current human cultural life filtered down from some of the Theren and Zoluren information, but that's kind of it. :(

I have faith in Tiesse too, but I'm also pretty sure she hasn't taken the human dev position, despite her involvement with the snap contest.

Re: human stuff (was Re: Racial Patriot) 03/10/2009 08:48 AM CDT
>>We get tiny bits and pieces of clan information and even tinier bits and pieces of current human cultural life filtered down from some of the Theren and Zoluren information, but that's kind of it. :(

It's also a bummer when both of the Theren and Zoluren leaders go off and marry Elves :(

>>I have faith in Tiesse too, but I'm also pretty sure she hasn't taken the human dev position, despite her involvement with the snap contest.

There are no official race dev positions, only champions. Tiesse is Human co-champion with Equity.

~Thilan
Re: human stuff (was Re: Racial Patriot) 03/10/2009 04:25 PM CDT
>...the taisgwelduan, though. Is there any indication that it's actually a weapon with some significance to humans (outside of the gamgweth name)?

Nobody knows what a taisgwelduan is. It came up in a "racially named weapons" thread, and some staff member or another promised to look into it and see if any notes could be found as to what the difference was from a regular bow.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: human stuff (was Re: Racial Patriot) 03/10/2009 04:55 PM CDT
>>Nobody knows what a taisgwelduan is. It came up in a "racially named weapons" thread, and some staff member or another promised to look into it and see if any notes could be found as to what the difference was from a regular bow.

People know what it is; it's a bow. Anyone can Google it or look it up on Elanthipedia; a little more digging will reveal that the name is a compound of the words for air (tais) & kill (gwelder). I'm assuming what makes it different is the same thing that makes an Elven iltesh or telo different from any other sword. If they don't want to have racial weapons any more then that's another matter entirely, but the policy should be consistently enforced.

~Thilan
Re: human stuff (was Re: Racial Patriot) 03/10/2009 08:33 PM CDT
Currently policy is something along the lines that a weapon with an in-obvious name must not be an obvious weapon. Or something like that. I will threadmancy up the post later.

Point being, if the taisgwelduan isn't allowed to be just a bow. Or something. I don't know. It just happened to come up recently.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: human stuff (was Re: Racial Patriot) 03/10/2009 09:40 PM CDT
>>P.S. Wasnt being snide at all really, just didnt want anyone to think your comment about human laguage and racial identity actully had any weight. Cause it doesnt.

I made a comment on racial WEAPONS and human cultural lore in DR, not anything about language or racial identity. Learn to exercise some kind of tact, or at least reading comprehension. You are not the arbiter of whose posts are contributory, nor of whose comments have weight.
Re: human stuff (was Re: Racial Patriot) 03/11/2009 08:03 AM CDT
>>P.S. Wasnt being snide at all really, just didnt want anyone to think your comment about human laguage and racial identity actully had any weight. Cause it doesnt.

>>I made a comment on racial WEAPONS and human cultural lore in DR, not anything about language or racial identity. Learn to exercise some kind of tact, or at least reading comprehension. You are not the arbiter of whose posts are contributory, nor of whose comments have weight.

I wonder how much tact is needed to hijack a positive thread about awarding those who work hard; with jokes and your own snide comments about racial weapons and human lore. Again, I dont agree with your comments and I thought your weapon joke/question wasnt funny. There is alot of human lore out there, and still more being made daily. Though I can say that it kinda sucks the two human provicial leaders both married outside their race. But, maybe more of the human noble families will step into the spotlight.

~
The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.
Joseph Heller, Catch 22
US novelist (1923 - 1999)
Re: human stuff (was Re: Racial Patriot)::NUDGE:: 03/11/2009 11:42 AM CDT

Folks,

This is a reminder to keep your posts both civil and constructive. The best way to do this is to address the points of someone's post, without derailing the discussion with the snarky commentary about the poster or their style of communication.

Now, back on topic and keep it constructive.

Annwyl
Senior Board Monitor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing Senior Board Monitor DR-Annwyl@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor DR-Cecco@play.net.