The Human Clans 02/03/2009 08:08 PM CST

Warning! Long Post Ahead!

So, seeing as how we humans are something of the black sheep of Elanthia's family of races, I figure'd I toss out an idea I've been kicking around for a bit, and hopefully get some feedback and a few new ideas to boot.

I'd really like to see the various Human Clans from the lore actually be made into joinable organizations, with various minor perks and whatnot associated with membership. Here's a few ideas I think could be developed for each of the currently existing clans.

Ram Clan

Founders of the Seven Star Empire, the children of Akroeg were reknowned for their leadership, martial prowess, and sense of diplomacy and justice. Having separated wholly from the Empire during the days of its decline, they have secluded themselves away in the forests of Therengia ever since, but they still retain much of their old culture and ways.

"Returning to the old ways" is the Ram ideal, and ever since their self-exile they've held to these 'old ways' like gospel. As a result, Ram culture exists as a fairly well preserved snapshot of ancient Empire life. Their craftwork, clothes, architecture, weaponry, and cuisine all reflect a bygone time, and their ancestral lore and writings offer a perspective into the ancient empire that is unavailable elsewhere.

- Possible Offerings -

* Empire-Era Styled Goods
* Empire-Era Styled Spell Preparations
* Empire-Era Library
* Etc.

Wolf Clan

Rugged former nomads, the Wolf Clan are survivalists and mercenaries of unparalleled skill. Wolf people are known for both their terrible ferocity and their incredible loyalty, as embodied by their wild namesake. Their way of life is typically favored by Rangers and Barbarians.

Though simple in needs and lifestyle, the Wolf Clan possesses a keen knowledge of the natural world and their carefully guarded craftworks include some of the finest leatherworking and fletching known. In addition, their skills at hunting and tracking are nearly unparalleled.

- Possible Offerings -

* Survivalist Styled Goods
* Wolf Themed Goods
* Survivalist Styled Leathworking Patterns
* Survivalist Styled Fletching Patterns
* Ranger Companion Perks / Emotes / Flavor / Fluff
* Barbarian Skill Flavoring (akin to Spell Preparations)
* Etc.

Shadow Clan

Little known and much rumored, the Shadow Clan leads a harsh and brutal existence within the necromantic wasteland known as The Dark Hand. While the valiant Emerald Knights hold Corik's Wall, the Shadow Clan lives beyond the barrier itself, constantly fighting to survive and to hold back the tides of ruin.

More than any other clan, Shadow knows how to move silent and unseen. Their eyes and ears are sharper than most; their strikes more precise; their knowledge of necromantic monstrosities unrivaled by all but dark magi themselves. And though mostly comprised of human Rangers and Paladins, the clan is rumored to occasionally admit a select few others into the fold.

- Possible Offerings -

* Darker Themed Goods
* Stealth Flavoring (akin to Spell Preparations)
* Etc.

Dragon Clan

Founded over time by roaming followers of Lanival, Dragon Clanners are life-lovers and joy-bringers. They revel in their mortality and humanity, and see their time in Elanthia as precious and wonderful.

Somewhat akin to roving, good-natured gypsies, Dragons bedeck themselves in color and jewels, and delight in celebration of all sorts. Their merchants are reknowned for their intricate and lovingly crafted wares, and few festivals can compare to the arrival of the Dragon Clan in a new town or village.

- Possible Offerings -

* Traveling Merchants
* Gypsy Styled Goods
* Trader Skill Flavoring (akin to Spell Preparations)
* Etc.

Harvest Clan

Peace-loving and gentle, Harvest Clan folks are caring folks. Founded by their great matron, Mowra Erestaevan, the clan is an ecclectic collection of farmers, healers, crafters, and teachers of all sorts. Dedicating their lives to honest work, reverence of the gods, and harmony with nature, the clan lives simply, but happily.

Eschewing violence in all its forms, Harvest Folk exist as a humanitarian community. They avoid hunting when possible, and in times of war or strife, they render aide to any and all wounded regardless of affiliation. Though they live somewhat off the beaten path, they have been known to welcome strangers warmly and to offer their skills and talents openly to others.

- Possible Offerings -

* Farming Themed Goods
* Empath Styled Goods
* Empath Skill Flavoring (akin to Spell Preparations)
* Etc.

Shark Clan

Should you ever happen to overhear gruff looking scallywags whispering to each other regarding getting in deep with the Sharks, these cut-throats are likely who they're talking about. Essentially a loose affiliation of pirates, smugglers, bootleggers, and scoundrels, Sharks do as they please and answer to no one.

Swift upon the waves, traveling in numbers, and exhibiting a voracious bloodthirst, members of Clan Shark live up to their namesake well. Operating throughout the Eastern Islands, these rogues are known for their rough and tumble nature and their propensity for causing trouble. Still, despite their coarse nature, even the humblest of Sharks posesses keen seafaring skills that shame the most veteran of mainland sailors.

- Possible Offerings -

* Pirate Themed Goods
* Nautical Equipment
* Tattoos!
* Etc.

- Further Possible Universal Clan Offerings -

* Clan Housing (Excepting Dragon Clan)
* Clan Titles
* Clan Adoptions of Trusted Non-Humans
* Clan Merchants / Alterations

- A Final Note -

I realize this is a hefty bunch of ideas, and I both welcome and appreciate any critiques or suggestions regarding the lot of 'em. I know it might seem like an awful lot to digest, and possibly an awful lot for the powers that be to even begin considering the feasibility of, but I think its high time humans got just a little more tender loving care, eh?

I guess I get kinda jealous every time I see a Kaldar and Gnome Only merchant arive, or get tickled by a long-tailed prydaen, or bump my head trying to enter an Olvi or Gnome sized building, or see wagons full of Rakash themed goods appear.

I like my Snap, I really do, and I eagerly look forward to the completion of its newest incarnation, but I figure'd perhaps putting some extra oomph into thinking up neat new features for those of us unfortunate enough to be born boring old humans would maybe prove inspiring to the powers that be in some way.

If you've read this far, thank you so much for your time! But if you've spent all this time reading anyway, why not take just a minute or so more and lemme know whatcha think?

~Callahan~
Re: The Human Clans 02/03/2009 10:12 PM CST
Really, an well thought out and excellent post, if nothing else it should be copy/pasted and stored away in a .txt file somewhere to be brought on during a time when they decide to implement things like racial clans/houses. Goodness knows there really isn't a whole lot to develop for humans is there?
Re: The Human Clans 02/04/2009 07:39 AM CST
Some good ideas there, but the clans should remain Human-only, just as the Elothean Houses should just be for Elotheans, Sraan for S'kra, etc.

~Thilan
Re: The Human Clans 02/04/2009 08:34 AM CST
I had meant to include that. Slipped by me somewhere.

Yes, Human Clans should be Human only, with possible exception made for Dragon, Harvest, and perhaps Shadow. For a non-human to join should require additional difficulty, as well as the vouching of multiple clan members in good standing.

Also, one clan per human, naturally.

~Callahan~
Re: The Human Clans 02/04/2009 08:12 PM CST
Since I've played my character as being from the Ram Clan for years, I am positively drooling over what you've written there. I really like it.

Is that a sword? Luxury!
Is that a horse? Sloth!
Is that a helmet? Vanity!