Gamgweth sentence structure question 08/25/2008 11:20 AM CDT
I can't seem to figure out how to structure the following sentence properly in Gamgweth given the verb noun adverb structure... anyone have a better grasp on this than my meager fumblings?

-A dog to hunt a thief.
-Vi bonfa ri gwem vi tyvalger (is the direct translation with no reordering of the words)
-Ri gwem vi tyvalger vi bonfa (To hunt a thief a dog? Is this the proper way? The verb hunt is going after the thief, the dog is the one doing it... I have no clue)
Re: Gamgweth sentence structure question 08/27/2008 02:42 PM CDT
<<I can't seem to figure out how to structure the following sentence properly in Gamgweth given the verb noun adverb structure... anyone have a better grasp on this than my meager fumblings?
<<-A dog to hunt a thief.

The words in question aren't a sentence but a phrase. Gamgweth was the first game language to be invented and it really hasn't been developed past the two original books. So let me explain the structure of the English phrase first, and then we can see what it would look like in Gamgweth.

An infinitive phrase consists of "to" plus the simple form of the verb together wih any modifiers. So "to hunt a thief" is an infinitive phrase made of the infinitive "to hunt" and its object "a thief". Infinitive phrases can function like nouns, adjectives or adverbs. Here, the phrase is functioning like an adjective, telling you what kind of dog.

The book Gamgweth Grammar says that adjectives are placed after the nouns they modify. If we assume that holds true for phrases that fuctnion like adjectives, then the order in Gamgweth would be the same as the order in English: "a dog" followed by the infinitive phrase.

The next question is the structure within the phrase. We know the usual sentence order is verb-subject-object, and with "to hunt a thief", we have a verb "to hunt", no subject, and an object "a thief". In English therefore, the word order would be "a dog a thief to hunt", or, translating it into Gamgweth, "vi bonfa vi tyvalger ri gwem".

Bartlebee
Re: Gamgweth sentence structure question 08/27/2008 02:50 PM CDT
I think my nose may be bleeding now but I followed that... Thanks! Engineers and grammar aren't generally the best of friends.
Re: Gamgweth sentence structure question 08/27/2008 09:59 PM CDT
Just wanted to say that I love reading Bartlebee's various dissections of and other work with Gamgweth. Thanks!

Is that a sword? Luxury!
Is that a horse? Sloth!
Is that a helmet? Vanity!