A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 02/09/2016 10:09 AM CST
A few pages on Elanthipedia for Kaldar, Gorbesh, and Gnomes were updated to make it slightly easier to find some lore. Additionally, two new materials and one new technique have been added to Elanthipedia. You're free to request the technique on items now and the materials will likely show up in shops in the future.

Windsteel
Price per volume: 50000
Description: A traditional developed by the Gorbesh and continued by the Kaldar, making windsteel is similar to the process of making steel, however, it is only done in high mountains in winter. Instead of using water to cool the steel, The Kaldar use snow, which typically causes steel to shatter, however, the Kaldar circumvent this by infusing the steel with a blending of Elemental magics. The results tend to leave the steel with a dull finish with whorling whirlwind designs throughout the ingots. Once used to craft, the metal may be polished, but never achieves a mirror shine.

Spiritwood
Price per volume: 70000-200000 (the more pure white, the more value)
Description: Spiritwood can be made from any existing wood and involves a process of putting them through magical bleaching regime. The secret to doing this is closely guarded by the Kaldar and Gnomes and is a new technique that is not known to the Gorbesh. Ideally, the wood becomes pure white, but lesser quality pieces may have striations or flecking that reveals the original wood. In the cases of making spiritwood from valuable woods, this is sometimes preferred.

Firestaining Techniques
Originally developed by Gorbesh Gnomes, the technique of firestaining is utilized by the Gorbesh, the Kaldar, and the Gnomes. Firestaining can be done to nearly any metal and is done by utilizing Elemental magics to control the heat of a forge fire to create stylized and silhouetted designs. Coloration varies from black, grey, charcoal, and can be tinged with crimson or orange red along the edges. Kaldar utilize the technique primarily, but recognize Gnomes as the masters of this technique as they are often much more capable of coaxing the most detailed designs.

Enjoy!

---
NaOH+HI
Re: A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 02/09/2016 11:09 AM CST
These are all amazing. Thanks so much for getting this out to us.

I particularly enjoy that they all speak to that Kaldarn aesthetic that, to me, seems to be very primal (with the inclusion of the elements) but not particularly flashy.

For some reason you just can't stop thinking about glarmencouplers.
Re: A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 02/09/2016 11:10 AM CST
>>Ideally, the wood becomes pure white, but lesser quality pieces may have striations or flecking that reveals the original wood. In the cases of making spiritwood from valuable woods, this is sometimes preferred.

How do you reference the base wood that was Spiritwood-ed?

Would you say something like "a plank of pale white spiritwood with dragonwood flecks"?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 02/09/2016 11:26 AM CST
>>How do you reference the base wood that was Spiritwood-ed?
Since spiritwood isn't its own material by itself, I can understand how this could be a bit frustrating. Here's some examples of how it can be used:

a speckled spiritwood plank flecked with dark ironwood
a pure white spiritwood limb
a creamy white spiritwood limb
a lamb white spiritwood limb
a pale spiritwood plank interspersed with chunks of ebony

>>Would you say something like "a plank of pale white spiritwood with dragonwood flecks"?
Pretty much.

Questions that weren't asked yet but probably will be
>> If it's not pure white, can be altered to be?
Due to the increase of value, no, this shouldn't be done.

>> If it is pure white, can I make it speckled/flecked/marred/etc?
Yes, absolutely.

>> Does the TAP or LOOK have to include wordage to denote flecks/etc if it's not pure white?
No, you're free to simply call it "spiritwood" if you want, but if you supply non-pure white spiritwood, you cannot refer to it as "pure white" in your alteration.

>> Where can I get this stuff?
I'm currently working on adding some of it to a new room in Rebecho's shop. Premium members will see access first, probably this month.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 02/09/2016 11:31 AM CST
Does the density of either source material change when turned into spiritwood or windsteel? Could they be used for weapons/etc. or are they totally decorative?

All three new things sound really lovely. Definitely want to work with them.
Re: A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 02/09/2016 11:38 AM CST
>>Does the density of either source material change when turned into spiritwood or windsteel? Could they be used for weapons/etc. or are they totally decorative?

Not at all. If they were.. You can expect windsteel to be very similar in properties to mid/highsteel, and pieces could be potentially more brittle due to the way it's forged. The magics used could circumvent this quite a bit, but overall, you have to accept that severe cold damages steel and windsteel could see minor issues because of it. That fact might be the one thing that makes it undesirable as a crafting material.

Spiritwood is simply a way of altering the coloration of wood, so it wouldn't change any aspects of it and might not be entirely appropriate for the crafting system since there's no telling what wood a pure white piece would have been.

I'm open to hearing feedback on it before I bring up the request to add them to the crafting system with Kodius.

As for suitability, either can be ideal for most things. Spiritwood depends entirely on its base wood and can range from being effective to totally ornamental.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 02/09/2016 12:12 PM CST
I like this. Thank you.

Would it be appropriate to have a spiritwood haft? Or a staff? I assume the answer is yes, but wanted to ask.

What about armor and weapons using the metal? Appropriate for chain, or plate, or shields? Cutting edged and blunts? I kind of figure no here.
Re: A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 02/09/2016 12:15 PM CST
>>Questions that weren't asked yet but probably will be

How well does windsteel work for glarmencouplers?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 02/09/2016 01:24 PM CST
>>Would it be appropriate to have a spiritwood haft? Or a staff? I assume the answer is yes, but wanted to ask.
Yes.

>>What about armor and weapons using the metal? Appropriate for chain, or plate, or shields? Cutting edged and blunts? I kind of figure no here.
Currently, all of these are entirely fine.

>>glarmencouplers
Sure.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 02/09/2016 01:26 PM CST
>>Sure.

:D :D :D :D :D

Jokes aside, the Albarian lore stuff is always appreciated.

Re: A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 02/09/2016 01:44 PM CST
THANK YOU. These are all awesome and fitting. LOVE that 2/3 are flexible and work with multiple materials. Also love the Elemental and winter themes.

Could the windsteel technique be applied to other metals? Windtyrium? Wind-etched tyrium?

- Navesi
Re: A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 02/09/2016 02:13 PM CST
>>Could the windsteel technique be applied to other metals? Windtyrium? Wind-etched tyrium?

Right now, it's unique to steel. Primarily because I don't want to read through ALL the other metal lores to see which ones the technique could potentially work with.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 02/09/2016 05:16 PM CST
>>Right now, it's unique to steel. Primarily because I don't want to read through ALL the other metal lores to see which ones the technique could potentially work with.

Fair enough. Although you may want to consider that any metal that can be smelted and forged in game will need to be cooled and therefore should be compatible with the windsteel method. All current metal weapons are also subject to the Ignite spell, which suggests none have any particular resistance to Elemental magic. They MAY be subject to differences based on their enchantability, but I don't think there are any completely un-enchantable metals.

...yes I do want wind-forged tyrium. :D

- Navesi
Re: A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 02/09/2016 05:36 PM CST
Out of curiosity, just for the name, the design, the lore, or the Elemental bit?

---
NaOH+HI
Re: A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 02/09/2016 06:06 PM CST
>>Out of curiosity, just for the name, the design, the lore, or the Elemental bit?

As the player of a Kaldar Elementalist, windsteel is especially appealing to me. I imagine it's mainly due to it being Kaldar lore, but the Elemental flavor, the design, and the name are all very appealing to me, especially considering I lean toward Ice/Air as my elements. But still, mainly due to the Kaldar lore. This is why my main weapon is made of white ironwood, the only Kaldar material I knew of prior to now -- save moen takibena which has never been available.

Ideally I'd like to end up with several different staves, since they are my thing. I might like to end up with one of white ironwood, one of spiritwood, one of glaes, and one of tyrium (eventually). I could do a firestained metal one but again, Ice/Air vein is more appealing to me. Tyrium would be my choice for it, since glaes is so pretty on its own.

- Navesi
Re: A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 02/09/2016 09:54 PM CST
Maybe maybe Fraestfynger will be dusted off, and I'll check out some of this wintery stuff, I like some of Navesi's ideas. Seem right up his side of thinkings.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 02/18/2016 11:30 PM CST

I'm assuming that windsteel would also work for spangleflanges and rackensprockets too? :D These are important things that I must know!

And thanks for the lore! I really appreciate the effort :)
Re: A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 02/19/2016 08:43 AM CST
>>spangleflanges and rackensprockets

I actually just had a chat with Kodius about these last night.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 02/19/2016 09:38 AM CST
>>I actually just had a chat with Kodius about these last night.

If Kodius is involved I'm hoping this means we'll see crafting them make a glorious return.

Re: A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 02/19/2016 07:23 PM CST
While I currently play no gnome, I am very interested in hearing more about Kodious and the glorious return of spangleflanges and rackensprockets, that are possibly also coming in Wintersteel!

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: A few Kaldar and Gnome Releases 03/08/2016 11:20 AM CST
>>While I currently play no gnome, I am very interested in hearing more about Kodious and the glorious return of spangleflanges and rackensprockets, that are possibly also coming in Wintersteel!

Originally posted:

Don't forget about Glarmencouplers! ;)

Edit:

OOOPPPS! Didn't realize they were already mentioned. Can you tell I'm a boards newb? :P Seriously though, I'm horrible about reading the boards but I'm super excited to see more Gnome stuff!! If you need any ideas... :D ;) :D