Tattoos and the differences in Races 12/31/2015 09:48 AM CST
It's fairly straight forward, there are some races that have straight flesh, others that have scales (alright only S'kra Mur, but its still a whole race), and two with fur at least for a bit of the time.

So how do tattoos really work with these types of peoples?

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Tattoos and the differences in Races 12/31/2015 10:46 AM CST
Magic.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Tattoos and the differences in Races 12/31/2015 01:16 PM CST
Flesh - Pretty standard

Scales - It's been described as effecting the flesh beneath the scales, so coloring them. Intricate detailing isn't possible on areas with larger scales, for example. Check out the S'Kra Anatomy book for information on those areas.

Fur - For Prydaen, the fur is dense across the body and head except on the hands, palms, feet, and pads of the feet. Palms and pads tend to be very thick, almost like calloused skin. Tattoos are not visible through fur unless a Prydaen chooses to shave part of their fur off to reveal a tattoo. Hands, palms, ankles, and feet are more likely to be seen. If I'm being honest, brands and scarification make much more sense for Prydaen as it would remove the fur, but they are both very restricted currently.

For Rakash, I'm not positive how dense their fur in moonskin is or where it might be thinner and I'd have to refer to GM Persida for that information.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Tattoos and the differences in Races 12/31/2015 04:43 PM CST
>>Palms and pads tend to be very thick, almost like calloused skin.

Does this mean baby Prydaen have jellybeans for hands until this takes effect? ADOPT TINY ADORB PRYDAEN BABBIES TODAY

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Tattoos and the differences in Races 12/31/2015 06:20 PM CST
>>jellybeans for hands

LOL Not at all. It's not actually calloused, just thicker than a Human's palm.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Tattoos and the differences in Races 12/31/2015 06:23 PM CST
I think they have more baby human like hands until their skin thickens and their claws get deadlier. Still very Prydaen like, but more akin to a soft baby than a kitten with toe-beans.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Tattoos and the differences in Races 12/31/2015 06:30 PM CST
Zamara is correct.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Tattoos and the differences in Races 12/31/2015 06:37 PM CST
sorry, toebeans are headcanon now

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Tattoos and the differences in Races 12/31/2015 08:34 PM CST
>>Thayet: sorry, toebeans are headcanon now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bmhjf0rKe8

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Tattoos and the differences in Races 12/31/2015 10:20 PM CST
Can our HE 'toy' kittens have this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bmhjf0rKe8

???

Oh Happy New Years!

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Tattoos and the differences in Races 01/01/2016 12:27 PM CST
>>Zamara is correct.

:(

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Tattoos and the differences in Races 01/03/2016 06:04 AM CST
>>For Rakash, I'm not positive how dense their fur in moonskin is or where it might be thinner and I'd have to refer to GM Persida for that information. (Naohhi)

>> Magic. (Raesh)

If I could make most tattoos hidden during moonskin, I absolutely would. I feel the same way about tattoos and clothing that covers the inked areas :)

Rakash have a proper coat during moonskin, and as such the fur tends to be pretty dense, though it is generally somewhat finer/shorter on the ears, wrists/hands, and ankles/feet, with certain areas near the eyes and along the muzzle having the finest fur. Some Rakash may also have finer or shorter fur along the abdomen. Palms and the bottoms of feet are more or less furless.

Very pale-furred and/or short-furred Rakash could potentially have tattoos that are somewhat visible elsewhere during moonskin, but detail would still be greatly lost.

Some kind of magical process that inhibits the fur in the tattooed area, or dedicated shaving of that spot every time moonskin happens could also provide visibility, but I'd have to say that it might appall a lot of fellow Rakash to 'maim' your moonskin in such a manner.

-Persida
Re: Tattoos and the differences in Races 01/03/2016 07:23 AM CST
This raises a bit of a stupid question, to me.

Do Rakash have coats which would be more akin to wolves (duh?) or poodles? That is; is it a short, stiff, coat which sheds naturally (and/or requires brushing) or is it a softer type of coat which does not shed at all? I assume the former since they're obviously werewolves.
Re: Tattoos and the differences in Races 01/03/2016 11:49 AM CST
1) Rakash are not dogs or wolves (even part time), just like Prydaen are not lions or house cats, so a lot of the comparisons or inferences one might make using them as baselines don't really apply :)
2) Moonskin is in many ways a mystical state of being.

Moonskin doesn't vary by season, so nothing akin to shedding as you're using the term happens. While hair types will vary somewhat between Rakash, the coat is overall fairly stiff and dense. Rakash lose hair just like any other being who has hair, but more detail than that seems to border on the idea of creating a relative folicular cycle chart for all of the races and that seems a bit much to me.

-Persida