Race war 05/23/2014 10:46 PM CDT
I think the races need to get along LESS well. I just re-read what the S'Kras did to the togs back in the day. Screw the snakes! The gloaming is coming snakes.

(Just to be clear I think all and any racism in modern society is abhorrent, but in a fantasy game setting could mean for great RP)

Pps I hate S'kras murs in real life too.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Race war 05/23/2014 11:20 PM CDT
Eh, I'm kinda of two minds on this. I think I understand your what yer trying to convey, but I think in the practical application something would be lost and genuine offense could occur. That isn't to say that you couldn't do it or it should be avoided at all cost, it's just that I'm not sure it's worth the effort, given the small player base already.

Speaking only for myself, and in a specific scenario, discriminating based on a players chosen race would just be an annoyance to me. I play loosely as a Mountain Elf and from a historical perspective, should have a prejudice towards Dwarves. If I'm in Shard or another not-Crossing/Theren/Riverhaven city, finding any empath or trader to heal or sell pouches is hard enough already, discriminating on one that shows up because they're a Dwarf would just be a pain in the ass.

I think if it was kept to good natured ribbing (ala Gimli and Legolas) it'd be alright.

It certainly would be a different role play opportunity provided all parties involved understand the situation they're in and the nature of the role play.

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: Race war 05/23/2014 11:33 PM CDT
Oh, DR racism is alive and well. See how Gridaksma and Elriic react to one another some time.

--

In memory of Lisa/Martee. Passed 6/17/2013. A friend. A sister.
Re: Race war 05/24/2014 01:56 AM CDT
I despise the Prydaen, on general principal. XD Cat-people ... jeeze.
Re: Race war 05/24/2014 02:30 AM CDT
It's even supported in code! You can defriend an entire species!

Do shopkeepers have racist attitudes in DR like they do in Gemstone?

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Race war 05/24/2014 06:26 AM CDT
>Do shopkeepers have racist attitudes in DR like they do in Gemstone?

Not like in GS, with the mechanical biases. There are absolutely live merchants who are much closer to what you're asking about, though, and some NPC shopkeepers and such who have some interesting things they might say or do if you stick around long enough to see them.

*THE FOLLOWING ARE PURELY MY PERSONAL OPINIONS AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT AT ALL ON ANYTHING ACTUALLY PROPOSED, APPROVED OR EVEN CONSIDERED TO GO INTO THE GAME IN ANY FASHION*

I'd love to push more in this direction myself, as I feel that cultural conflicts can be a really rich RP area that hasn't been as explored in DR's run time as some others have. The history absolutely supports it, however, most of the modern ig societies really don't, especially when you're looking at fairly long term extremely multicultural cities and tons of IG years of relative getting along. This is before we get into the player side of people often having played their characters for years and years as being part of multicultural families or organizations without conflicts. So yeah, this is a hard road to consider going down in a really dramatic and all-encompassing fashion (more like GS, for example), so I personally don't see the likelihood of an all out race war as being very high.

That doesn't mean there aren't some extremely biased people, groups, or even smaller societies still out there ig, because there completely are. If you're interested in this sort of thing, it's absolutely something that can be RPed out as a PC as long as you the player are being sensible about keeping it ENTIRELY to ig references and not trying to make allusions to rl genocides, slurs, hate groups or anything atrocious like that. You better also be okay with taking your lumps in the same fashion that anyone being antagonistic is expected to be, and be mindful of not being overly disruptive or harassing. Please check policy regarding that sort of thing if you aren't sure what I mean there.

From here on out, I'm going to write assuming that everyone is keeping that stuff in mind because any of those things would be looked very poorly upon, are in bad taste to say the least, and would be a great way to end up on the very bad end of policy. Okay? Okay!

If there is a significant interest in this sort of thing, I really do encourage you all to build it ig. Us GM-folks sometimes need to feel like there is an audience who can and WANTS to explore this sort of thing in a mature fashion before we really feel overly invested in committing to it. Play stuff out ig and see what happens. We do pay attention, even if we don't respond in ways that are always easy to see.

-Persida
Re: Race war 05/24/2014 08:03 AM CDT
<<If there is a significant interest in this sort of thing, I really do encourage you all to build it ig. Us GM-folks sometimes need to feel like there is an audience who can and WANTS to explore this sort of thing in a mature fashion before we really feel overly invested in committing to it. Play stuff out ig and see what happens. We do pay attention, even if we don't respond in ways that are always easy to see.

You don't see it enough (and this isn't lecture aimed at you Persida), but when the "lore" was new during the really early years of DR the Elf-Human tensions spilled over big time in the game. I kind of miss it.

If you want a suggestion, I would consider some sponsored or spontaneous events promoting the old lore. Not so sure how much the current generation even has in the front of their brains regarding Elf-Human conflict. there's also the Gorbesh/Kaldar angle which is fresh enough in 'current' general populace memory to generate friction.

--

Re: Race war 05/24/2014 09:02 AM CDT
While I've never been Anti-(Insert Race) I've always played characters which are Pro-(Insert Race) which can lead to some pretty fun RP. The Prydaen merchant Twansic was a great example of this, choosing to only work with Prydaen and sometimes Rakash when he visited. Most of the Rakash I play are pretty heavily Pro-Rakash over any of the other Races. The only deviation from this has been my most recent character simply because he is an Order Speaker and is role played as having not had much Rakash influence in his formative years.

A Moon Mage bars your way, whispering "I am afraid you are not on the list I have Kasto. Maybe some other time?"
Re: Race war 05/24/2014 09:14 AM CDT
>If there is a significant interest in this sort of thing, I really do encourage you all to build it ig. Us GM-folks sometimes need to feel like there is an audience who can and WANTS to explore this sort of thing in a mature fashion before we really feel overly invested in committing to it. Play stuff out ig and see what happens. We do pay attention, even if we don't respond in ways that are always easy to see.

It wasn't generally well received in the past (10+ years ago) even with a larger population. Whenever I've dropped into Prime in the past few years it wasn't well received or understood. I mostly play Dwarves that aren't the new-age variety.

Asbhuan/Plat
Re: Race war 05/26/2014 02:50 AM CDT
I would most certainly play off my character's racial biases more often if I had confidence in the general players ability to distinguish IC from OOC. Coming from a heavier RP background, I'm use to situations where my character is absolutely vile villainess who everyone hates, but OOC we're all friends. That doesn't quite seem the norm around DR - the lines are too wishy washy.

This mountain elf would love to dislike dwarves and distrust humans, but I generally break character a bit to be nice to players regardless, since I never know exactly how much of an RPer they are and I've no interest in being stabbed for OOC butthurt.

I'd absolutely adore to find elves in game that play the race with a more traditional focus. Love love, like this is me requesting that anyone interested in more conflict driven or "snooty" Elf RP drop me an AIM message.

-= Alesche =-
Mountain Elf - Historian - Free Empath of the Crystal Tower
Heavy RPer Looking for Connections!
AIM: DRAlesche
Re: Race war 05/26/2014 04:00 AM CDT
>>I never know exactly how much of an RPer they are and I've no interest in being stabbed for OOC butthurt.

The irony being that being racist would leave the door wide open for being stabbed as an IC backlash.

If I've noticed anything from the inevitable conclusion to all threads about being evil/racist/badguy/etc, it's that people trend toward inevitably responding poorly when bad behavior is acknowledged as bad behavior.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Race war 05/26/2014 06:38 AM CDT
>If I've noticed anything from the inevitable conclusion to all threads about being evil/racist/badguy/etc, it's that people trend toward inevitably responding poorly when bad behavior is acknowledged as bad behavior.

No, I get to be an evil sociopath and psychopath when I want to, and kill babies for fun when I want to, but when game events start up, you don't have any right to treat me like a rapist murdering evil villain, you have to respect my rights to go buy some butterfly pants and attend raffles and have tea with the Baron and go to fight night etc.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Race war 05/26/2014 08:29 AM CDT
New sig. Also dead on.

--

Re: Race war 05/26/2014 02:46 PM CDT
I understand the consequences of being racist, and would gladly take my licks if they were earned. I also understand that as a relative unknown the easiest assumption to make about me is that I'm a whining carebear looking to snub everyone and never have a finger laid upon me. I accept that but I hope that you all can believe me when I say that isn't the case. I've done quite a lot of PvP-RP in other online games and don't mind losing - I usually play villains. We pretty much always lose! Damn heroes.

I was more speaking of situations like being mildly rude (For example, commenting on "rude people hiding in the shadows") and the response being an immediate "Careful .. .I smell consent." I don't feel like that's roleplay. The escalation from scoffing at someone to being slaughtered on the street often feels much too quick to be roleplay driven unless I'm dealing with a psychopath. And my character avoids talking to psychopaths as a general survival rule, just feels like a smart move :P

This is such a dead horse topic, I know and I apologize. I just wish people took a harder look at the difference of murdering someone from a roleplay standpoint. Your character is killing someone. Favors and clerics and casual PvP duels in front of the Empath guild aside, you're literally ending someone's life and causing them overwhelming pain. You're a murderer. The casualness with which it's done, the blase reactions from those nearby and the minor altercations that can lead to it don't often feel like roleplay, to me. But I am not use to the blurred OOC lines that the ruleset of DR tends toward, I've mostly functioned in situations where everyone is clearly roleplaying or clearly not. If you're standing there with a gaping hole in your chest given to you by your best friend and the two of you are giggling it up while you're bleeding out ... that just make no sense if it isn't OOC on some level.

It took me a while to adjust to the ruleset the first time I played, and ended up to the point where my character simply never spoke to anyone for fear of being killed. I'm trying to avoid that this time, but feel sad that I've had to make my character a bit more bland than I had intended because what is she going to do? Little circle 20 Empath would fall over and die if you looked at her too hard. In a world where almost all conflict - or imagined conflict for that matter, playing anything other than a playful/happy character can be dangerous- turns physical by default, she's useless. I wish she could do more without ending up a corpse. Not because I the player am afraid of PvP, but because to my character, death is a very bad thing and she's surrounded by murderers.

Yowza. I apologize for the length of this. It's apparently something I've been dwelling on since I gave up on DR years ago.

-= Alesche =-
Mountain Elf - Historian - Free Empath of the Crystal Tower
Heavy RPer Looking for Connections!
AIM: DRAlesche
Re: Race war 05/26/2014 02:55 PM CDT
I still vaguely remember a time when on duty GMs would scramble people's speech and make their characters "go crazy" if they behaved too blatantly out of character. If that or anything like it still happens these days, I haven't witnessed it since my return. I wasn't around when it happened, but at some point RP became optional. I miss it.
Re: Race war 05/26/2014 03:19 PM CDT
> The escalation from scoffing at someone to being slaughtered on the street often feels much too quick to be roleplay driven unless I'm dealing with a psychopath. And my character avoids talking to psychopaths as a general survival rule, just feels like a smart move :P

I stopped feeling angst about RP in DR after a lot of really good arguments that everyone in game IS a psychopath and, furthermore, it makes total sense. Characters in DR are just representing the trained-killer class of pre-modern society, they don't have any social function beyond killing people, no skills beyond killing people, and an entire social pyramid established to facilitate it all.

Consequently they're all just as awful as the people in George R. R. Martin's books or the gods and demigods of the classics and eddas.

I still don't bother RPing in DR, though.

Re: Race war 05/26/2014 03:31 PM CDT
>>I was more speaking of situations like being mildly rude (For example, commenting on "rude people hiding in the shadows") and the response being an immediate "Careful .. .I smell consent." [O]ften feels much too quick to be roleplay driven unless I'm dealing with a psychopath. And my character avoids talking to psychopaths as a general survival rule, just feels like a smart move :P

Looks like you already know the answer to your RP conundrum.

>>The casualness with which it's done, the blase reactions from those nearby and the minor altercations that can lead to it don't often feel like roleplay, to me

Keep in mind these are the same group of 1%ers who generally seem pretty okay with shoving their faces into a box full of snakes, risking fatal poison, in order to get a really nice crossbow bolt. The same people who enter a combat arena where everyone may drown, be set on fire, burn to death, be diced up, or other assorted horrors in order to win a tiny bar of metal or another widget. They crush their hands as a game, get poisoned to win fun fabrics as a game, break pumpkins over their heads risking severe nervous damage as a game, etc.

The majority of the hero-class of DR aren't exactly sane people. On one hand, yes, they're rather blasé when it comes to death, but the same people who give them infinite life seem to be pretty cool with it (as long as they're the ones granting the infinite life otherwise YOU'RE A MONSTER).

That said, I do agree that for some people Prime interactions are PvP with a thin coating of RP instead of RP with occasional PvP, and you can generally tell who is who based on their responses to dealing with a GM delivering an IC punishment for said RP'ed PvP.

>>I still vaguely remember a time when on duty GMs would scramble people's speech and make their characters "go crazy" if they behaved too blatantly out of character. If that or anything like it still happens these days, I haven't witnessed it since my return. I wasn't around when it happened, but at some point RP became optional. I miss it.

You're thinking of the same thing as a shadowling trap, or what was essentially insane asylum people carting away someone acting too OOC. I doubt the mechanics vanished.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Race war 05/26/2014 07:01 PM CDT
RP doesn't have to be dead. I guess I have a nice group of people to talk to in game because I don't feel like the sky is falling yet.

Re: Race war 05/26/2014 07:30 PM CDT
>>Schoofu: I was more speaking of situations like being mildly rude (For example, commenting on "rude people hiding in the shadows") and the response being an immediate "Careful .. .I smell consent." I don't feel like that's roleplay. The escalation from scoffing at someone to being slaughtered on the street often feels much too quick to be roleplay driven unless I'm dealing with a psychopath. And my character avoids talking to psychopaths as a general survival rule, just feels like a smart move :P

I think RPing prejudice or bias can add a nice touch to the game.

My character (Sarkranis) has a typical S'Kra attitude, regarding q'alrin (those outside a S'Kra's inner circle) as less important, if not beneath her. This attitude extends toward non-S'Kra, who are by default q'alrin.

"A S'kra Mur gives his ru'at (circle of family, friends, and allies) complete trust and complete honesty, and expects the same from them. However, the privileges of trust and honesty are not conferred on q'alrin (those outside one's ru'at) unless they are earned; nor are such things expected from them. There is absolutely nothing dishonorable about lying to, stealing from, or cheating an outsider, assuming it profits the S'kra more than it harms the outsider." -- The Ways of the S'Kra Mur

This attitude is challenging to portray for all of the reasons you listed: (1) people don't always distinguish between OOC and IC and (2) OOC relationships can often affect interaction between two players' characters. Another challenge I've had is that as a player, I often want to help other players even though my character wouldn't necessarily want to help those characters.

The OOC verb can help with all of these issues. (It works just like whisper, but prefaces your comment with OOC:.) For example, if your character is being rude to someone for IC reasons, and you're not sure if the other player gets why, use the OOC verb explain it. If you want to help someone, but it would be out of character for your character, use the OOC verb to say what you wanted to say.

Role-players will generally understand and go along with it. Those who aren't interested in role-playing may not understand or care about the distinction, but that's probably not your target audience. Ideally, RPing should be enjoyable for all parties.

>>Schoofu: Favors and clerics and casual PvP duels in front of the Empath guild aside, you're literally ending someone's life and causing them overwhelming pain. You're a murderer. The casualness with which it's done, the blase reactions from those nearby and the minor altercations that can lead to it don't often feel like roleplay, to me.

People do have a very cavalier attitude about death, and many will kill with little provocation. There have been some pretty interesting discussions about whether that is IC, with some arguing that adventurers become desensitized to death and take it for granted that death is a temporary condition for them.

You feel your Heart Link with a mug of zombie's revenge fade away.

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Race war 05/26/2014 09:11 PM CDT
I do miss the starry road. Made death meaningful.

Would you like to swing on a star, or carry moonbeams home in a jar?
Re: Race war 05/26/2014 10:13 PM CDT
>I do miss the starry road. Made death meaningful.

It's jut not good game design to say 'ok, now that character you spent 10 years building in a persistent MMO? Ya, it's done because someone walked you'. It wasn't ever a real risk for 90% of the players, and the ones who did walk were typically attention seeking, and/or got a restore after paying 200$.

Re: Race war 05/26/2014 10:24 PM CDT
>I do miss the starry road. Made death meaningful.>>

You had to try to get walked back in the day, rose colored glasses.... There was no reason you'd ever get "walked" unless you let it happen or were impossibly stupid.

Re: Race war 05/26/2014 11:11 PM CDT
>It's just not good game design...

ehh, I dunno, maybe, maybe not. I always thought it was part of the challenge of this game back then. There was a very serious risk if you died with 0 favors. If you didn't want to risk that, you got favors. If you were engaged in any sort of actions that would have other players killing you over and over, you got a lot of favors. Sometimes that led to some people getting walked, but I think it made things a bit more exciting because the players actually had something to lose if they weren't planning ahead.

Call it nostalgia glasses all ya like, that's all well and good, and accurate to some degree, but I also think there's some merit to having the risk of perma-death because I think it gets you invested in the character and protecting them. Proceed with 0 favors or start a conflict with only a few favors at your own peril.

That was yesterday's DR though, and I don't suspect that perma-death will be back any time soon, though I would not mind if it did.

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: Race war ::Nudge:: 05/26/2014 11:26 PM CDT

you guys are drifting off the topic of Race War.

If you want to talk about role-playing in general, take that over to Social Side, general discussion.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Race war 05/27/2014 03:23 AM CDT
<<Would you like to swing on a star, or carry moonbeams home in a jar?

Or would you rather be an Elf?
Re: Race war 05/27/2014 09:28 AM CDT
i see you prydean

in the schoolyard with our kids

smile treats in hand

it is a mitzvah

to kill a prydean child

blessed be kaldar

charming string play thing

tangle now nose turns bluish

open eyes opaque

i want a race war

pussy i come for you now

prydeans should be slaves
Re: Race war 05/29/2014 08:36 PM CDT
Well, I was really rude to a S'Kra Mur today as my 'Tog. Pose snake is a great 'Tog-only verb. To the player of that s'kra ranger in the brook: it's nothing personal! Just RP. :)
Re: Race war 05/29/2014 08:41 PM CDT
When you pose snake try not to step on the s'kra eggs near the shore.

Re: Race war 05/29/2014 09:48 PM CDT
>When you pose snake try not to step on the s'kra eggs near the shore.

They should be marked with stakes and orange tape.
Re: Race war 06/15/2014 04:23 PM CDT
All the races are so intertwined with each other in modern society that I'm not sure a race war concept would work, though I always thought a full out provincial war would be neat. Ilithi and Zoluren declare war on each other because (politics). Shenanigans and violence ensue, maybe actually have some of the smaller cities and towns(Leth Deriel, Steelclaw Clan/Fayrin's Rest/Horse Clan) change hands depending on who won(with players playing a big factor on what ground is taken during, with some obvious behind the scenes balancing because of varying player populations).

I always thought it was silly that all of the conflicts are external(I'm no DR expert, but I'm pretty sure the last conflict between what are now the five provinces was the Resistance War that created them) and all five provinces have remained at peace for 400+ years, especially in a medieval themed setting.
Re: Race war 06/15/2014 05:56 PM CDT
>All the races are so intertwined with each other in modern society

Bear in mind that DR's society is millions or billions. Players are the 1% of the 1% as far as power, wealth, weaponry, connections, etc. So Player-based race relations aren't a great example. If you look at the description in a lot of towns, they're heavily race segregated, with Crossings being one of the most cosmopolitan minglings, but still pretty racist.

Re: Race war 06/19/2014 08:33 AM CDT
No planet, let alone society, has billions of people.

Earth only has 230 million.
Re: Race war 06/19/2014 08:42 AM CDT
<<No planet, let alone society, has billions of people.
<<Earth only has 230 million.

Earth surpassed 7 billion a while ago. China alone has roughly 1.5 billion. Unless you're attempting to make a bad joke about racism.
Re: Race war 06/19/2014 11:49 AM CDT
>>Earth only has 230 million.<<

The U.S. alone has more than 300 million.

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: Race war 06/19/2014 12:22 PM CDT
I have to confess, I've never counted everyone. My sources could be wrong, but I too have been led to understand that there are more than 7 billion people on Earth.
Re: Race war 06/19/2014 01:39 PM CDT
>No planet, let alone society, has billions of people.

>Earth only has 230 million.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo
Re: Race war 06/19/2014 03:57 PM CDT
successful troll is successful

YAY ME!
Re: Race war 06/19/2014 06:27 PM CDT
Eww, troll zombie. Shameful.