Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 05:33 PM CDT
We got a good talk going in the smithing folder but I thought this might be the better place to continue it.

I'm personally just wondering a little more about those racial bonus weapons. I know they've been talked about from time to time. From my notes this is what I remember from past discussions.

So basicaly we have:
Dwarves: tunneler's axe and auction swiss-army-multi-weapon
Gnomes: few blades, kneecapping stick
Kaldar: the ever elusive slaughterswords (there were 4 right?)

Any others that the GM's can share with us?

* SPLAT! * You destroy the annoying thing!
Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 05:49 PM CDT
>>Any others that the GM's can share with us?

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Weapon:Tog-weight_throwing_club

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Weapon:Halfling%27s_steel-shod_kneecapper

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Weapon:Elven_star_blade

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Weapon:Blackened_Kaldaran_totem_spear_etched_with_tribal_runes_along_the_leather-wrapped_shaft

I vaguely recall a S'kra one but I'll be darned if I can remember the name.
Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 05:52 PM CDT
kneecapper is halfling

http://www.elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Weapon:Halfling%27s_steel-shod_kneecapper

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 05:53 PM CDT
There are a lot of S'Kra "racial" weapons. Most of them are form- and function-identical to normal weapons like scimitars.

Same with Rakash weapons.

None of them appear to have any specialness reserved strictly for their creator races.
Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 05:55 PM CDT
>I vaguely recall a S'kra one but I'll be darned if I can remember the name.

The one that always stuck with me was similar in form and function to one of the weapon-ring things from the Riot quest scrip shop.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 05:57 PM CDT
Quoted from the Smithing folder...
>>While I love (and have pondered over) ideas for an ideal Prydaen racial weapon, nothing really springs to mind given the traditional proclivity of claws being the perfect weapon.

Like the Rakash, Prydaen have racial weapons (though the merchant hasn't been back that I know of), they just don't have special stats for the race. They were pretty good when they came out, though more recent forgings make them not as nice as they once were. I'm not sure if the OP is not aware of their existence, or just doesn't consider them ideal, but here they are.

A bone-hilted kanabu bearing an etched blade is a light edged melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
low (3/25) puncture damage
fair (5/25) slice damage
poor (2/25) impact damage

You are certain that the kanabu is soundly (8/13) balanced and is poorly (3/13) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bone-hilted kanabu is marginally vulnerable to damage (8/18),
23 stones

look kan
Extending from the base of the grip, the blade of this knife rises in a graceful curve that resembles an extended claw, designed to dig in and hook through whatever it is used on. A fuller runs along the flat edge of the blade, designed to reduce the weight of the weapon without compromising its integrity. The flat edge is etched with the image of a lounging panther to further enhance its appearance.

A bone-hilted keyiru is a medium edged melee-ranged weapon.

somewhat heavy (8/25) slice damage
low (3/25) impact damage

You are certain that the keyiru is decently (6/13) balanced and is fairly (5/13) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bone-hilted keyiru is marginally vulnerable to damage (8/18),
31 stones

look key
Extending from the base of the grip, the blade of this vicious weapon resembles a reversed claw with a razor sharp edge. Ending in a diamond shape at the tip, it has a secondary cutting edge on the upper surface. Yellowed and covered in surface splits, the bone hilt has a weathered appearance.

(These are stackable throwing blades with a pretty look)
Some kodavu charovras with blackened points are a light thrown and light edged melee-ranged weapon.

low (3/25) slice damage
dismal (1/25) impact damage

You are certain that the charovras is soundly (8/13) balanced and is inadequately (4/13) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the kodavu charovras are marginally vulnerable to damage (8/18)

look charo
Several curved, claw-shaped blades circle the rim of this flat disc, each point blackened to the razor-sharpened edge.

~Talo - Prydaen Barbarian~
Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 06:44 PM CDT
Edited List (thanks everyone!):

Dwarves = tunnelers axe
Tog = throwing club + elkabong
Halfling = kneecapper
Elves = star blades
Kaldar = slaughterswords + totem spear
Gnomes = long blade + shaleighlei

Skra= ring weapons maybe? katavdar + hirdulata + khrovela = no bonus.
Humans = nothing?
Prydaen = weapons no bonus
Rakash = weapons no bonus
Elothean = masamune + katana's (kinda, sorta, but not really) no bonus

Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 06:52 PM CDT
Katana really aren't Elothean, but instead a collaborative effort of the Elotheans and S'Kra of Surlaenis. Elotheans wouldn't 'identify' with the weapon anymore than a S'Kra or Tog or Merelew would. The Masamune might be, but I don't recall any specific lore released with those.

GM Jaedren
Events Guy
Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 07:18 PM CDT
Are we talking about weapons themed for a race or weapons bonused for a race?

"hypocrite, thy name is teveshszat, and i just hope i'm there to see you when you're broght down." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 07:39 PM CDT
Sorry if any of this is repeats. Long personal recollection follows. Ignore if you don't want to read several weapon descriptions and appraisals:

The kneecapper is a Halfling weapon.
a Halfling's knobby kneecapper deformed by twists and bulbous knots
"This is a weapon geared for Halflings. As such, it will appraise much better for the furry footed, among you. If you're not a halfling, you look silly turning it...."
To the untrained eye, this tiny frightful-looking stick appears to be nothing more than bad firewood -- too short for a weapon and with such gnarling nearly impossible to hold. But to a Halfling, the knots appear cleverly spaced and placed to add balance and grip support.
A Halfling's knobby kneecapper deformed by twists and bulbous knots is a short staff melee-ranged weapon.
no puncture damage
no slice damage
fair impact damage
You are certain that the kneecapper is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
You are certain that the knobby kneecapper is somewhat flimsy, and is in pristine condition.
You believe that the knobby kneecapper weighs around 35 stones.
You are certain that the knobby kneecapper is worth exactly 100 lirums.

This particular one was won at auction on Andreshlew during the festivities for the Prince's wedding. Appraisal was done by an Elothean, so I don't know what differences there may be when an Olvi has one. Same holds true for the following weapons.

The same auction introduced the slaughtersword...
a twin-bladed Kaldaren Warlord's slaughtersword
Crafted to enhance every minute advantage within the heat of battle, the Warlord's slaughtersword exists an unspoken testament to the skill of its master. Dual saw toothed blades angle outward in a narrow V from the crossguard, their surfaces etched with a maze of razor-edged blood grooves. Twisted bloodwood, masterfully shaped in the appearance of a tangled mass of writhing spirits, curves outward from the base of the monstrous blades to form the hilt.
A twin-bladed Kaldaran Warlord's slaughtersword is a two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon.
low puncture damage
severe slice damage
heavy impact damage
You are certain that the slaughtersword is dismally balanced and is well suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
You are certain that the Warlord's slaughtersword is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.
The Warlord's slaughtersword is made with metal.
You wonder if the Warlord's slaughtersword probably weighs a few tens of stones.
You are certain that the Warlord's slaughtersword is worth exactly 350 lirums.

Gnome long blade...

a jewel-hilted Gnomish long blade incised with a blood channel
A cluster of moonpearls encircling a red coral medallion is set into the blade's hilt. The coral is polished to a warm sheen and engraved with a ship, sails full with the wind.
A jewel-hilted Gnomish long blade incised with a blood channel is a light edged melee-ranged weapon.
fair puncture damage
low slice damage
poor impact damage
You are certain that the blade is reasonably balanced and is poorly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
You are certain that the long blade is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.
The long blade is made with metal.
You are confident that the long blade weighs about 15 stones.
You are certain that the long blade is worth exactly 125 lirums.

Ceremonial Elven iltesh (better for an elf, basically store-bought for any other)...
a ceremonial Elven iltesh with a blackened slender blade
Wrens in flight have been etched onto the slender blackened blade. Light catching on the sharpened edge gives the illusion of lightning dancing along its surface. A leather braid wraps tightly around the bloodwood pommel as it works its way down in alternating red and black strips to the huge ruby embedded in the pommel.
A ceremonial Elven iltesh with a blackened slender blade is a medium edged melee-ranged weapon.
moderate puncture damage
moderate slice damage
low impact damage
You are certain that the iltesh is reasonably balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
You are certain that the ceremonial iltesh is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.
The ceremonial iltesh is made with metal.
You wonder if the ceremonial iltesh might weigh a few tens of stones.
You are certain that the ceremonial iltesh is worth exactly 550000 lirums.

And the magical transforming tailband that would only work completely for a S'kra Mur. There were lesser transforming tailbands avaialble for sale during that festival, but they were not restricted by race in any way.

And since I've seen mention of it, the masamune as well. It was specifically mentioned that it is NOT a racial weapon, at least in the better-for-one-race-than-another type.

a damascened damite masamune with a curved black jade hilt inset with a massive dark conquerer's ruby
Flawlessly black, the slightly curving blade gleams darkly with a muted brilliance. The enormous weapon is nearly as long as an Elothean is tall, slender though heavy enough to cleave even the deadliest foe. The elaborate hilt is cunningly formed into the shape of a roaring dragon, its finely textured scales serving to enhance the wielder's grip. A single conquerer's ruby, the gleaming black of a starless night, rests in the dragon's grip. Along the length of the blade is the sword's name.
A damite masamune reads:
~ Sibo ~
A damascened damite masamune with a curved black jade hilt inset with a massive dark conquerer's ruby is a two-handed edged pole-ranged weapon.
low puncture damage
bone-crushing slice damage
moderate impact damage
You are certain that the masamune is poorly balanced and is well suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
You are certain that the damite masamune is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.
The damite masamune is made with metal.
You believe that the damite masamune probably weighs a few hundred stones.
You believe that the damite masamune could be worth about a small mint in lirums.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
- Arthur O'Shaughnessy
Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 07:58 PM CDT
UPDATED again. With more research. Thanks to everyone who posted information they had.

Race Bonus Weapon Normal Weapon
Dwarves tunnelers axe sterak axe + "named" weapons
Halfling halfling kneecapper none
Elves ceremonial iltesh + star blades normal iltesh + "named" weapons
Kaldar slaughterswords, totem spear none
Gnomes long blade shillelagh, kneecapping stick + more
S'Kra none tailband weapons/katavdar, hirdulata, khrovela + "named" weapons
Prydaen none "translated" weapons
Rakash none "translated" weapons
Elothean none masamune
Human none none
Collaboration none katana (Skra and Elothean made)

Shillelagh was from Tisks wagon, so definately gnome and not halfling. Still looking for halfling weapons, I kinda remember a "sting" being sold. It acted very much like its LOTR counterpart. Seems we have two "kneecap" weapons, one with a bonus for halflings, the other a merchant-only gnome version with "normal" stats.

"Translated" weapons = normal template weapons with racial language names
"Named" weapons = normal template weapons that use the race name in the description.
Collaboration column represents weapons which were made using more than one race's technique or design

NOTE: I started with just weapons that gave a bonus but wanted to also include weapons of racial origin or significance. I realize there are allot of the stores that sell items like this, so trying not to get too detailed.

Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 08:02 PM CDT
What about the Elothean gladius from HE? I thought that had better app in the hands of an eloth. I've got one, I'll dig it up and check in a bit if no one else knows.
Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 08:05 PM CDT
Wasn't there an Elothean Gladius that was offered at a fest not too long ago? It might have been the same one that had the Elven star blades? I believe I bought one and it is vaulted somewhere.
Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 08:07 PM CDT
Elothean avenger's gladius with a black silk-wrapped hilt

The stats definitely went up for Elotheans.
Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 08:12 PM CDT
>chart

I'm a bit sad you missed the Gor'togs. :(

As far as I know, we have no official racial weapons and a few racially named ones that are store bought.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 08:36 PM CDT
>>Togs.

Dang! I had them there, must have lost it in the cut/paste.

UPDATED again. With TOGS!

Race Bonus Weapon Normal Weapon
Dwarves tunnelers axe sterak axe + "named" weapons
Halfling halfling kneecapper none
Elves ceremonial iltesh + star blades normal iltesh + "named" weapons
Kaldar slaughterswords, totem spear none
Gnomes long blade shillelagh, kneecapping stick + more
S'Kra none tailband weapons/katavdar, hirdulata, khrovela + "named" weapons
Prydaen none "translated" weapons
Rakash none "translated" weapons
Elothean avengers gladius masamune
Gor'Tog elkabong? (maybe GMNPC only) boar clan weapons
Human none none
Collaboration none katana (Skra and Elothean made)

"Translated" weapons = normal template weapons with racial language names
"Named" weapons = normal template weapons that use the race name in the description.
Collaboration column represents weapons which were made using more than one race's technique or design

NOTE: Is the tog-weight throwing hammer actually a racial bonus weapon? I know the stuff in Boar Clan is styled for tog's but does any of it actually provide a bonus to weapon stats? Still looking for more information on that "sting" like short sword. I swear I'm not imagining it.

(At least I think I'm not.)

Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 08:51 PM CDT
Elkabongador, for the record. A large viol-shaped instrument with a lead bottom and a heavy oaken neck.

GM Jaedren
Events Guy
Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 09:04 PM CDT
The S'kra tailband weapon (el grande) probably belongs in the race-bonused list, and not the themed list. Except no one can turn up the actual name.

GMs should auction off a racial weapon for every race this year!

And one of those bloody tailbands, I've always wanted one.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 09:10 PM CDT
>>Elkabongador

So can you elaborate more on this, is it just those GMNPC's with them? C-mon said something about one on Ain as well.

>>tailband weapon

I know of the ones sold at the festival shops that anyone can use. If you say there is another uber-version than I would love some more information about it before I can include it. Just like that halfling sword that I can't seem to find in my old auction lists.

Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 09:47 PM CDT
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of weapons in the new weaponsmithing book that have s'kra names. I could be totally off on these but looking at other s'kra racial weapon names, and these, there are some similarities that make me believe that they are meant to be s'kra named weapons.

With a quick look over the weaponsmithing book I believe these names are s'kra in orgin: nehlata, parang (real life weapon, but has been connected to the s'kra in DR from what I can tell), nehdelata, kudalata, namkouba (maybe), shh'oi'ata, hhr'tami, k'trinni sha-tai, and hhr'ata.

The old hhr'ibu (sp?) crossbow was s'kra named also. All these are just s'kra named templates of normal weapons, not sure if you are looking for special racial weapons or just any racially named weapon.

There are also some Rakash named templates in there too.
Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 11:02 PM CDT
Not really looking too hard at the store-bought or forged stuff. Really looking for those "one-of-a-kind" or more, special racial-type weapons. And also tracking the random merchant stuff.

Re: Racial Weapons 03/27/2012 11:56 PM CDT
>>The S'kra tailband weapon (el grande) probably belongs in the race-bonused list, and not the themed list. Except no one can turn up the actual name.

(From the auction on Andreshlew commemorating the wedding of Vorclaf and Arilana.)

item: an aged jade tailband
description: The antique jade of the tailband has weathered over time, mellowing its deep green with tinges of lighter green and white. Intaglio geometric figures cover the entire surface, the deeper and more rune-like symbols filled with carefully polished bronze.

lore:

Auctioneer Aquolo says, "And now we have a special guest....who needs to demonstrate an item that was NOT sold in the token auction...so everyone listen up"

You see Annalist Marhhgen Iryvykep of Ratha, a S'Kra Mur.
He has a shallow-featured face with slitted crystal blue eyes and a dappled snout, green scales with a pale silver underbelly, a curving tail and a lean build.
He is a bit over average height for a S'Kra Mur.
He is venerable for a S'Kra Mur.
He is in good shape.
He is wearing an aged jade tailband, a long navy silk robe, a rich plum silk gamantang, some thin-framed spectacles and a spidersilk belt pouch.

Marhhgen says, "Goodness, so many people."

Marhhgen bows.

Marhhgen says, "Greetings, everyone."

Marhhgen says, "My fellow S'Kra Mur will have likely seen the transforming tailband in Silah's Sundries by now, but probably did not know where they came from. I have here an aged jade tailband that can likewise transform, but into multiple forms. Those found for open sale were made by mages who examined these greater artifacts. These artifacts was most likely made for one of the Rathan kings, possibly before the Imperium. They can transform into six different weapons at the owner's demand and have other deeper magical properties."

Marhhgen removes an aged jade tailband from his tail.

Marhhgen says, "However, the magic only activates completely for S'Kra Mur. Any race can activate the different weapons, and any race with a tail can wear it, but the extended powers will only work for S'Kra Mur. As to that magic, the mages that examined it believe that it will return to the owner under some circumstances, perhaps even unto death. They could not quite determine the meaning of the different colors that the weapons display, so whoever gets this prize will still have a mystery to solve."

Marhhgen tilts his tailband to the side as it begins to flow like a fluid, extruding out into a basket-hilted bronze warsword before taking solid form again.

Sage light bursts out from a basket-hilted bronze warsword and shivers energetically, spiraling down the length of its mass to spread out into a blanketing cover of soft coloring all around the weapon.

Marhhgen says, "The six weapons forms it can take are a light edged and light thrown knife, a medium edge warsword, a heavy blunt mace, a two-handed edge claymore, a lance, and a quarter staff. All the forms have standard 'store bought' statistics, but they are self-repairing. As long as the weapon doesn't break completely, merely returning it to its mundane tailband form will repair it."

Emerald light bursts out from a basket-hilted bronze warsword and shivers energetically, whirling energetically around its shape then swells out into a cloud of hazy light that slowly disperses.

Strong jade light streams from the main body of a basket-hilted bronze warsword, gyrating wildly all around its outline to spread out into a blanketing cover of soft coloring all around the weapon.

The form of Marhhgen's bronze warsword suddenly flows like water, eerily swirling down into the palm of his hand.

- Stormsinger Shavay

- Arthur O'Shaughnessy
Re: Racial Weapons 03/28/2012 07:45 AM CDT
Thank you for finding that! I've drooled over that weapon since that auction. Alas, I think it's lost on someone's inactive account.

Nikpack
Re: Racial Weapons 03/28/2012 08:32 AM CDT
>Alas, I think it's lost on someone's inactive account.

Isn't most everything these days?

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Racial Weapons 03/28/2012 08:42 AM CDT
>>Thank you for finding that! I've drooled over that weapon since that auction. Alas, I think it's lost on someone's inactive account.

It was purchased at the time by a Trader, who had it vaulted for a while. I think she eventually found a buyer for it, but do not recall. I'll ask her next time I run into her.

- Stormsinger Shavay

- Arthur O'Shaughnessy
Re: Racial Weapons 03/28/2012 11:08 AM CDT
i'd love something like that for any of my s'kra. And the tunnelers axe for any of my dwarves! :-)

"we're doing it for the good of mankind," said the philosophers of murder, waiting for the rest of the world to congratulate them"-Elie Wiesel <the gates of the forest>
Re: Racial Weapons 03/28/2012 11:29 AM CDT
Anyone have the stats for the elothean gladius?
Re: Racial Weapons 03/28/2012 11:47 PM CDT
>>Anyone have the stats for the elothean gladius?

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Weapon:Elothean_avenger%27s_gladius_with_a_black_silk-wrapped_hilt

~The new Gnome~
Re: Racial Weapons 03/29/2012 08:54 AM CDT
>>Elkabongador, for the record. A large viol-shaped instrument with a lead bottom and a heavy oaken neck.
>>GM Jaedren

EL KABONG!

Anyone else remember this cartoon?

---
Inauri
Re: Racial Weapons 03/29/2012 09:34 AM CDT
<<Anyone else remember this cartoon?

Yes, I was trying to decide if it was an intentional reference or not.

A Boomerang worth cartoon if I ever saw one.

Nikpack