Race question 01/11/2012 09:53 PM CST

So I play a few characters and most are togs just kinda because I love their lore/history etc....

One of my more main characters who will remain nameless, mainly because lately the posts on the boards seem to be seeping into the game a bit too much, really hates skras. He hates em based on the whole enslavement centuries ago and generally he's highly imbalanced, a heavy drinker and actually pretty much crazy. He also hates snakes in general.

The question is, do togs IN GENERAL have any lingering resentment towards other races in terms of their history and how they were used/mistreated in the past?
Re: Race question 01/11/2012 10:02 PM CST
>> do togs IN GENERAL have any lingering resentment towards other races in terms of their history and how they were used/mistreated in the past?

Just a guess, but I'm thinking that will be completely up to you whether they do or not.
Re: Race question 01/11/2012 10:12 PM CST

>>Just a guess, but I'm thinking that will be completely up to you whether they do or not.<<<<

perfect
Re: Race question 01/11/2012 11:30 PM CST
>The question is, do togs IN GENERAL have any lingering resentment towards other races in terms of their history and how they were used/mistreated in the past?

According to the given lore, the average Tog specimen shrugs it off as old history.

How you choose to play your PC is completely up to you.

Way back in ancient time, Caraamon would look for any reason to go off on the S'kra, but he's mellowed with age. I think, just by their nature, adventuring Togs are far more likely to hold extreme views than their more normal brethren.

Though, if you're looking for something a little different, you could instead direct your hate at Dwarves, having your character believing a twisted view that the Tog/Dwarf alliance was actually subtle slavery as well.

Whatever you do, have fun with it.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Race question 01/11/2012 11:32 PM CST
From the website page on Gor'Togs:

"Fortunately for the S'Kra, most Gor'Togs of current times hold little emnity toward their former captors; due in part to thoroughly Toggish philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't break it"."

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Race question 01/12/2012 12:09 AM CST
I agree with what's been said so far basically. Togs are a bit too easy going to go on hating S'Kra as a general matter, for things that happened a long time ago.

For my character personally, it's not terribly different than what Caraamon said. As a result of the conditions of his upbringing, Og harbors a lingering distrust and general disdain for S'Kra. He used to outright hate them, but years of an adventuring life have taught him he needs to be a bit more pragmatic than that. He's capable of having S'Kra friends at this point, but at the same time, he takes a particular satisfaction from slaughtering as many Dragon Priests as he can get his hands on, and not because of their differing religious outlook.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Race question 01/12/2012 06:59 AM CST

I pretty much only play togs and my characters range from mild dislike to outright hatred of the s'kra race, I'm glad it's not completely off base, I just was curuios especially since the one who outright hates skras will usually try to enlist any other togs in his disdain for the "snakes". Again he's fairly unbalanced anyway, so I suppose he could hate or like anything and it would work in character to some extent.
Re: Race question 01/12/2012 07:48 AM CST
As someone who mostly plays s'kra, i've encountered those from many perspectives.

Even NPCs have had their own quirks. For instance, I never had any problems with Kalag or Mo, but Khurek on the other hand hated my s'kra.

Basically go with whatever feels right to the character. I've seen those who "wanted to make shields out of Muspar'i doors"- presumeably ripped from the possession of their former residents... to those who have been more than willing to let bygones of their anscestors be bygones. Its interesting to play it by character, I always played my prime s'kra as "more thief than s'kra", but she's undergone various "events" in her life that have helped bring out the "s'kra" in her moreso. On the other hand in the days of the s'kra ru'at in plat, my thief was part and parcel of that whole RP. The same is true of any other RP'ed species in elanthea. Prydaens have their prydes,rakash their packs, and my dwarf had for years been involved with Stone clan RP. Get togehter with a group of togs, see what you can make of it!

Preces meae non sunt dignae;Sed tu bonus fac benigne;Ne perenni cremer igne [Dies Irae]
Re: Race question 01/12/2012 08:54 AM CST
I am amused by this thread.

As a primarily S'Kra Mur player, I've also really liked the RP with S'Kra Mur hating Gor'Togs in the past. Having an enemy is really entertaining.

The situations I find the most amusing is when the S'Kra Mur is still in support of slavery of the Gor'Togs or another race, that really makes things funny.

---
Inauri
Re: Race question 01/12/2012 09:40 AM CST
>> As a primarily S'Kra Mur player, I've also really liked the RP with S'Kra Mur hating Gor'Togs in the past. Having an enemy is really entertaining.

I agree that it can be fun, but it's nice not to be pigeon-holed into a certain RP because of something that happened long ago in the past and is written in the 'history'. My main character could RP hating Elves, but I chose/choose not to. He does, however, dislike humans to some degree, but only because they are so short-lived. ;-)
Re: Race question 01/12/2012 10:33 AM CST
From the old history books available IG, I think it's a key point (often missed) that there are two sides to any story. There is the dwarf/tog question, the dwarf/elf question, the human & dwarf / elf & s'kra question, dwarves against everyone (on tax / rights issues), etc

One could even probably come up with some interesting Luethra/Elf/S'kra things based on the history of the Isles.

DR Armorcrafting 3.0:
http://tinyurl.com/drarmor3

DR Blacksmithing Tools 3.0:
http://www.tinyurl.com/DRBSTools3

DR Crafting Calc:
http://tinyurl.com/DRCraftCalc
Re: Race question 01/12/2012 03:47 PM CST
Something to keep in mind is that much of what is being mentioned (Human/Elf wars, Tog slavery, etc.) happened hundreds of years ago, ICly.

The current American social climate is a suitable RL comparison, I feel. Lingering racial biases could very easily factor into rp; a character could very easily choose to distribute (nor not distribute) trust and friendship based along racial prejudices. Blanket condemnation for events that transpired long before the beginning of a new character's life, however, would require IC explanation, in my opinion, and even then I feel they would be the exception, not the rule.
Re: Race question 01/12/2012 07:59 PM CST
<<much of what is being mentioned (Human/Elf wars, Tog slavery, etc.) happened hundreds of years ago, ICly.>>

in most cases that is true. However, given the life span of dwarves and elves, there are some things <and people> alive yet who remember old wounds/ old animosity.

For instance, there are many Dwarves alive who still have a well-founded hatred for Queen Morganae because of her and her brother's slaughter of Dwarven children centuries ago.

Preces meae non sunt dignae;Sed tu bonus fac benigne;Ne perenni cremer igne [Dies Irae]
Re: Race question 01/12/2012 09:48 PM CST
>For instance, there are many Dwarves alive who still have a well-founded hatred for Queen Morganae because of her and her brother's slaughter of Dwarven children centuries ago

Well...they kind of brought that "slaughter" on themselves :P

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: Race question 01/13/2012 05:07 AM CST
I would like to remind people that you can't have slaughter without laughter, and Morganae is a cackling mad lunatic.

Hating her is certainly not unusual in any individual, even some Mountain Elves.
Re: Race question 01/13/2012 09:57 AM CST
>"Fortunately for the S'Kra, most Gor'Togs of current times hold little emnity toward their former captors; due in part to thoroughly Toggish philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't break it"."

As opposed to the Gnomish philosophy of "if it ain't broke, fix it until it is" :)

<<much of what is being mentioned (Human/Elf wars, Tog slavery, etc.) happened hundreds of years ago, ICly.>>

>>in most cases that is true. However, given the life span of dwarves and elves, there are some things <and people> alive yet who remember old wounds/ old animosity.

This is quite an old altered scimitar I picked up probably 7 or 8 years ago...

An Elven war scimitar topped with black pearl at the base of the grip.

Despite it's perfect condition this scimitar seems to be a blade from the Elven-Human war. Recent additions cannot hide Elven sigils for war and death along the blade. The most prominent of the new additions are a black pearl placed at the bottom of the grip and a fierce goshawk etched into the hilt.

I like it because of the 'relic from the war' theme and also the butcher's apostrophe (it's perfect).
Re: Race question 01/13/2012 11:12 AM CST
>> Hating her is certainly not unusual in any individual, even some Mountain Elves.

It's fun to hate her. ;->
Re: Race question 01/14/2012 12:27 AM CST
>> As a primarily S'Kra Mur player, I've also really liked the RP with S'Kra Mur hating Gor'Togs in the past. Having an enemy is really entertaining.

>>I agree that it can be fun, but it's nice not to be pigeon-holed into a certain RP

After rereading that, I wanted to clarify that I meant, I've enjoyed RPing with Gor'Togs that hate on S'Kra Mur. Actually, anyone in general that hates on them is a great entertainment.

---
Inauri