Racial Populations 02/01/2011 09:18 AM CST
I've been reading through the lore of the various cities, towns, and provinces, and while there's an easy enough overview of the major racial populations of most settlements, I'm missing a big picture overview of the provinces as a whole. I've seen some GM's post numbers on the overall populations of the provinces, and I've seen numbers of how many players are signed in of the different races, but I haven't seen numbers/estimates/ranges for the overall racial populations of the provinces that isn't based on PCs.

In other words, knowing from GM posts that there are 4,095,000 or so people running around Therengia in the rural parts, farmers and other types that the typical PC has next to no interaction with, is this population 50% Human? 75% Human?

I can't imagine that the races are supposed to be equal in population as four of them are recent arrivals. I'd expect the refugee population to be smaller, perhaps significantly smaller. But are the 7 original races supposed to be relatively equal in their population in the realms?

I'm currently playing a Rakash and fleshing out his history. For part of this I'm trying to get a sense of what the "background noise" with his upbringing could be, which I know would probably vary by province.

~~
Lupdels
Re: Racial Populations 02/02/2011 11:52 AM CST
i don't know, but after the lyras events, the population of the "background" folks was decimated. <except for those areas where she didn't make zombies : muspari, and qi>. So whatever the population was before, its smaller now on most of the mainland.

for a reallife comparison, think of the population of europe after the black plague had run its course.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Racial Populations 02/02/2011 01:29 PM CST
> for a reallife comparison, think of the population of europe after the black plague had run its course.

Really? That bad? I wasn't around for the Lyras events, but 60% of the mainland "background" population? Shoot, the S'Kra Mur can just march in from Muspari and Qi and take over . . .

~~
Lupdels
Re: Racial Populations 02/02/2011 01:37 PM CST
>Shoot, the S'Kra Mur can just march in from Muspari and Qi and take over

Worked for the Gorbesh, right?

:P

"Your suffering amuses me" -GM Raesh

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Racial Populations 02/02/2011 02:24 PM CST
>Really? That bad? I wasn't around for the Lyras events, but 60% of the mainland "background" population?

I don't believe that's the correct number, but I can't find the post now either. (Insert standard comment about finding old posts)

~ Pansophist Kougen
Re: Racial Populations 02/02/2011 02:35 PM CST
>I don't believe that's the correct number, but I can't find the post now either.

Couldn't find a GM post about it, but I found a log talking about it:

Amaldriel says, "I do not know if the lot of you realize this, but Lyras has already slaughtered a full third of the population of the five provinces and added them to her armies. In the past two week she has devastated the trade routes and is moving in on the cities as we speak."

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Post:Meeting_Empath_and_Cleric_plan_to_defeat_Lyras_-_3/13/2010_-_23:34:50

I'll keep looking.

"Your suffering amuses me" -GM Raesh

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Racial Populations 02/02/2011 02:40 PM CST
>Amaldriel says, "I do not know if the lot of you realize this, but Lyras has already slaughtered a full third of the population of the five provinces and added them to her armies. In the past two week she has devastated the trade routes and is moving in on the cities as we speak."

That's probably what I was thinking of. 33% was my instinctive response, but I didn't want to throw it out there without a reference.

~ Pansophist Kougen
Re: Racial Populations 02/02/2011 04:08 PM CST
>Amaldriel says, "I do not know if the lot of you realize this, but Lyras has already slaughtered a full third of the population of the five provinces and added them to her armies. In the past two week she has devastated the trade routes and is moving in on the cities as we speak."

I guess I could believe a third, or so. More devastation than I thought though. Egads.

But on the original topic of "background" population, I'm assuming that Lyra's destruction would be relatively even across the races within the same province. So, yes, Muspari and Qi might have been spared the greatest devastation, but a larger number of average non-adventuring NPC S'Kra Mur in those areas won't mean you'll suddenly feel like the S'Kra Mur influence is on the rise in Therengia.

For an area like Zolurn, with its populations of Humans, Halflings, Dwarves, and Gor'Togs, I'd assume the devastation would be rather uniform across the races. So both before and after, if you have a PC raised in Zolurn, they may have grown up around Humans, Halflings, Dwarves and Gor'Togs, with Elves, Elotheans and S'Kra Mur more rare.

~~
Lupdels
Re: Racial Populations 02/02/2011 04:30 PM CST
Don't worry. Post-Lyras-Slaying celebrations will bounce that population right back.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Racial Populations 02/04/2011 11:43 AM CST
<>Shoot, the S'Kra Mur can just march in from Muspari and Qi and take over>>

<chirr>

shhh! muspar'i are neutralists. :-)

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath