Re: Racial Age Messaging and You 04/22/2010 11:20 AM CDT
I'd vote for having the extra century spread out over the entire age range of the character. In general I'd vote for anything that makes my characters appear younger. I'm just a little bit upset that my 80 year old gnome is going to lose her youthful appearance either way.

I'd also very much like to be able to re-choose the age of my characters even if the option was only available once or for a limited time, like the RESPEC that was offered a couple of years back. That would make a lot of people happy, both the ones that wanted their characters older than they were rolled and those of us that want a chance to shave a few years off our characters ages.

Age is purely a cosmetic thing in DR. It doesn't indicate how skilled your character is or even how long you've been in the game any more. I think it would be good if we could have our characters look the way we want them to look.

Sibley, playing in Plat

Math that does not involve hypercubes and Cthulhu is covered in Scholarship.
-Armifer
Re: Racial Age Messaging and You 04/22/2010 11:32 AM CDT
As a matter of course, I like these changes and I'd appreciate being able to choose ages once the change goes into place as a one time thing.

__
Ferdahl Aemmin just arrived.
Huldah says, "Sup Fivehead. How you doin'?"
Re: Racial Age Messaging and You 04/22/2010 11:33 AM CDT
>>As a matter of course, I like these changes and I'd appreciate being able to choose ages once the change goes into place as a one time thing.

Do not expect to be able to choose your age again.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Racial Age Messaging and You 04/22/2010 11:43 AM CDT
>Do not expect to be able to choose your age again.

I'm not sure if you're saying that it will happen and be a one time thing or not, because I wasn't able to choose my age when I rolled up this character originally, or if you're just saying it won't happen period.

I'm not really trying to be contrary, just trying to understand what you meant.

__
Ferdahl Aemmin just arrived.
Huldah says, "Sup Fivehead. How you doin'?"
Re: Racial Age Messaging and You 04/22/2010 05:02 PM CDT
Armifer, your original explanation was a bit distasteful for me. The clarification that aging won't slow for most races until they're "in their Prime" is acceptable to me, even though it means my character will be dropping back into his prime, probably. I'd throw my vote in there.

I don't expect to be able to choose my age again, and as the contrary opinion here, hope you don't give an option for existing characters to reselect, but I hope you go nuts with the options for Premium newly rolled characters. I would, by the same token, making aging a character slightly easier for shifting Empaths, but keep anti-aging about as difficult as it is now.

Also, as far as perceiving the relative age of other races, what you're planning to do with Elves and Dwarves should be a two-way street. They shouldn't have a solid guess at what age a Human or a Halfling is, simply because to them they're all "children" age-wise.
Re: Racial Age Messaging and You 04/22/2010 05:09 PM CDT
Cross-racial aging appearance will presume Human life cycle conventions, because those are the only ones any player intuitively knows, making it relative to the PC's race will create a confusing excess of different possibilities, and because there are limits to the amount of bloat I am willing to introduce into the system for a single line of LOOK text.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Racial Age Messaging and You 04/23/2010 10:31 PM CDT
>>Do not expect to be able to choose your age again.<<

I am curious about something, maybe it's something I'm missing but characters now can select their age in the character generator. My character was created a long while back when such an option was not available so I would like to understand why I could not get the option to do a one time age selection for him. As it stands now he is pushing 102 after many empath age shifts and natural aging through the years. I'm not suggesting that this option be made available across the board but I am curious to know the reason for the limitation.

On the flip side, is there a chance that the empath shifting will at one point be able to introduce decade and century shifting?

I look forward to your thoughts.

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
AIM:DamianDR
Re: Racial Age Messaging and You 04/26/2010 05:27 PM CDT
>>Everyone should start at the same age when they begin. Like it used to be. Its the only way you can really tell how long someone has been around.

What possible connection could there be between my character's age and the amount of time I've been playing DR? I do not understand why a new player should not be allowed to play an elderly character, perhaps a millworker who lost his job and is taking up a new career in empathic healing, or somesuch. Perhaps as a 53-year-old player I would just like to play a character closer to my own age.

Using a character's age to "tell how long someone has been around" is probably one of the dumbest things I've read on this board, and I've read a lot of dumb posts.

That is all.
Re: Racial Age Messaging and You 04/26/2010 05:35 PM CDT
>What possible connection could there be between my character's age and the amount of time I've been playing DR? I do not understand why a new player should not be allowed to play an elderly character, perhaps a millworker who lost his job and is taking up a new career in empathic healing, or somesuch. Perhaps as a 53-year-old player I would just like to play a character closer to my own age.

>Using a character's age to "tell how long someone has been around" is probably one of the dumbest things I've read on this board, and I've read a lot of dumb posts.

I agree completely, but after conversations I've had on the subject I have to concede that I'm in the minority on this. People like seeing this info and making OOC guesses about the player. Which is dumb when you consider character sales...

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Racial Age Messaging and You 04/26/2010 05:55 PM CDT
>Using a character's age to "tell how long someone has been around" is probably one of the dumbest things I've read on this board, and I've read a lot of dumb posts.

It's a tradition rooted very deeply in the history of text games and like many traditions it makes very little sense. On one hand it's pretty silly, but on the other hand it's the way many players learned the virtual world worked long before Dragonrealms.

Roleplay was different way back, back in the day.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl