Ages 04/21/2010 08:34 PM CDT
Actually, I was hoping for an option C: We don't see age in the description when we look at someone. I'd like that to be something we had to ask about.

Barring option C, I'd prefer option D: Being able to toggle the age off and on, so that it's my decision if I want that information readily visible or not. Assuming option D, then I'd rather that if I toggled age on it showed my 'apparent' age, which, if I read things right, would be option B. This would let me decide if I wanted to tell people my 'actual' age or not.

In the event that we do not get the option to toggle age off and on, then I guess I'd rather that we stay with A for continuity's sake. Basically, people know our age the way they know our name and other things about us, like our title, because we are 'famous' more or less adventurers. So, since people tend to see what they expect to see, they would see us in keeping with our 'known' age, regardless of how well preserved we appeared to be visually to someone not in the know, which I guess would be no one. After all, everyone knows our name, right?

"Sometimes you guys scare me."--Annwyl
"You people worry me."--GM Abasha
"Hmm..."--Z
Re: Ages 04/21/2010 09:04 PM CDT
Looking at someone is not like looking at someone's profile.

I can tell approximately what age someone is by looking at them. It should be the same in DR. It shouldn't say "Laniea is 18" but it should say something about approximately how old she is.

Vashir: one day I will devise a weapon fueled by the tears of warrior mages
Vashir: it'll be unstoppable

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcszxzpn_22g3mtzcv

http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Out_of_Character
Re: Ages 04/21/2010 09:09 PM CDT
<<Actually, I was hoping for an option C: We don't see age in the description when we look at someone. I'd like that to be something we had to ask about.>>

Age as displayed in the description is how old someone appears to be. I don't think I should have to ask someone how they look.

Veralika: "dunt start Fly ya know all ya need is ask who yer mom "

Veralika says, "'att only dun work challenge and was att att like normal hunts."

Veralika says, "I bbad at this."
Re: Ages 04/22/2010 01:47 AM CDT
If we are getting realistic and medically-correct, then people can appear their stated age or not. You can have sun-baked, drug-baked, sick "inflamed" individuals (Ozzie) that appear twice their stated age, then you can have freakishly preserved individuals (Sharon Stone, Nicole Kidman) who age much more gracefully. In DR our aging system doesn't allow for that variation yet unless you have a crap-ton of money and time to shift your age down.

Call it boring and stubborn or bad roleplay, but I've always wanted my character to age with my RL self. I was personally annoyed when my main reached "venerable" b/c honestly I don't want to RP a venerable character. The word just reminds me of the old, wizened, toothless village seer. I've personally never liked the rhythm of DR aging, but it's because it forces me (again, unless I pay tons of money/time or reroll a character) into a certain RP.

So after my above diatribe, I'd like to say I'd prefer any option which allows me to NOT roleplay my main as a grandpa when I don't feel like RPing that at this time.

-Maconaie