Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Elven Titles 06/22/2007 06:32 PM CDT
i'd like to do something with Wind Elves, i don't know much about them but i consider Yamcer of that clan. City Elf just seems so catch-all.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: The Gemstone Connection (was Elven Titles) 06/22/2007 06:39 PM CDT
There's a room somewhere in Gemstone that's a direct copy if not a direct cross-link between the two wold databases of a room in Dragonrealms. Or was it the other way around (a GS room directly copied into DR)? I forget which it was, but this was mentioned somewhere in the HJ forums.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: The Gemstone Connection (was Elven Titles) 06/22/2007 06:39 PM CDT
>Am I the only one who caught/was surprised at this? A cross-reference to Maelshyve?

In Gemstone, it is the name of a Keep. (Now in ruins, I believe) that a person named Despana did some stuff with undead at in the past.

It was one of the things I brought up when I did a huge post on GS and DR Elanthia similarities. (And there are a couple)

Re: The Gemstone Connection (was Elven Titles) 06/22/2007 06:46 PM CDT
>> That Maelshyve reference is probably the strongest piece of evidence I've seen so far that there might be a connection, which I had previously dismissed completely.

I researched this a bit actually.

Maelshyve was the name of a fortress, not a person or creature that I can see.. But all sorts of undead and nasty nasty stuff came from Maelshyve.

Not sure how that turned into the demon-turned-demigod we all know and love now.

Rev. Reene

Esuin exclaims, "Kill her creatures or dye trying, this will put you on the path to proving yourself!"
>
Jairem whispers, "dye them pink"
Re: The Gemstone Connection (was Elven Titles) 06/22/2007 06:48 PM CDT
>There's a room somewhere in Gemstone that's a direct copy if not a direct cross-link between the two wold databases of a room in Dragonrealms. Or was it the other way around (a GS room directly copied into DR)?

If this is true, and one were to try and give it any significant meaning at all, it would seem to abolish the excuse that the games take place on different continents that is often given to justify other inconsistencies.

~ Celestian Kougen Aensworth, Advisor of Ilithi

"Live every day as though you will die tomorrow. Learn every day as though you will live forever." - Mahatma Ghandi
Re: Elven Titles 06/22/2007 06:48 PM CDT
>>hmm.. just did a little reading.. and I don't see the problem with Dark Elf... especially since the connotation of dark goes along with the clan of Bone Elf... shrugs... I'd rather be "dark" than "bone"...

Take it up with Sidhlot.

>>Has anyone ever tried to organize an informal event for elves of a particular clan? No matter how small?

There are groups that do things, but I don't know of any public events.

>>That Maelshyve reference is probably the strongest piece of evidence I've seen so far that there might be a connection, which I had previously dismissed completely.

It's hard to say. There are the Melgorehn gnomes (or something similar in GS) in both, with Melgorehn's Reach GS referencing dragons just like the DR Melgorehns have a flying clockwork dragon. There are the Dragonspine Mountains and the Dragon's Spine Mountains. Overall, I'd be more inclined to say they are just similar ideas used in different games, however, I think Solomon? might have said something somewhat recently about there being a connection (but don't quote me on that).

Some of the sources of information on the Clans in game is from biased points of view, and some Clans have more factual information available than others. It would be nice to see development at any rate. If the GMs want players to help in fleshing out the Clans, we at least have a few people who could get together and work on one of them in particular.
Re: The Gemstone Connection (was Elven Titles) 06/22/2007 07:04 PM CDT
>>If this is true, and one were to try and give it any significant meaning at all, it would seem to abolish the excuse that the games take place on different continents that is often given to justify other inconsistencies.

Not necessarily. Most people take "other continents" to mean a different, distinct landmass in direct modern-world relation to the current known bodies. For example, the GS continent is over "that way" and if you could somehow get enough food, water, crew, and boats to make the trip you could run aground in either Kermoria or Albaria. However, when you factor in the timeline you might have to account for cataclysmic events that alter the face of the planet. On Earth, such things would include the creation of the rift that eventually formed the Atlantic Ocean, the ramming of India into Asia, and the breaking away of the Americas landmass from Europe and Asia. Another example is the New Madrid fault in midwestern America, which could possibly end up splitting North America in twain (or thirds if you include the San Andraes split).

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Elven Titles 06/22/2007 07:08 PM CDT
HULDAHS-PAL
<<That was a really awesome post, even if it didn't totally answer what I asked; it was insightful and interesting.

<<I think the parts you touched on about the Elven Clans is pretty true, too.

Posting quick since I just got home and have to run off again, but I think the main thing I was trying (in my own rambling way) to get at is that the two cultures/peoples of elves as they existed in time on Elanthia, seperated by untold thousands of years, were/are situated so differently that they're hard to compare. Circumstances and massive change taking place multiple times during the years that seperate them have left them very very different people.

HULDAHS-PAL
<<Thanks for the post.

IDONS-BUDDY
<<I really appreciate your posts too, CEMM. They're always rather insightful and a pleasure to read.

Thank you both too and, for lack of a more thorough response, ditto! This is a fun discussion. The history in both games is something that has always endlessly interesting to me.

It's worth noting that while Therengia and Zoluren both seem to come off as more thoroughly under the guidance of attentive sovereign power at this point than Ilithi, none of the provinces are experiencing their heyday of power by any means.

Therengia has always (during the 50ish years DR time that players have personally wtinessed this era of Elanthia) seemed to be decaying around the edges, clearly showing the crumbling and scarring of time. The various Morzindaen seem spread thin and are supposedly embattled at the borders, there is constant trouble in the interior, and not enough resources to go around to rebuild and repair even the damaged parts of the baronial seat of power in Therenborough. Therengia has always had that aire of 'old money' to me as well, like the crumbling but still vaguely grand mansion of some once prestigious family that has been fading into history for generations.

Zoluren seems to have long been a mismanaged mess, with hapless and/or apathetic nobility that supposedly exist around the province but few have even ever heard of content to blithely do whatever they do while their subjects run amuck on the muddy streets. The Crossing as a crossroads of Lanival's original realms has often been characterized by its wayward and transient population, and that seems fitting for Zoluren in general. 'New Money' misspent and mismanaged? A province, appropriately 'in the middle', without the fading strength of haughty Therengia or the long lost/diminished pride and grace of mysterious Ilithi?

Qi is ruled by merchant families continually in contest with each other, and riddled with pirates and smugglers and similar. It seems more of a place to sail off and escape/disappear into than as a rival power to the three central provinces of the mainland.

It's really interesting to raise a comparison here actually, and gives another glimpse at the differences between the Gemstone and DragonRealms eras.

Lanival's Realms are a land that exists in the long shadow cast by the fall of the Seven Starred Empire. The current state of the lands is pretty much just as it was when we first arrived as players to begin to witness it and is not much changed by the several wars that have been fought since.

It's noteable that all of those wars were won by the invaders. The Gorbesh came, conquered, got what they wanted, and left. Sorrow did much the same, and (if I recall correctly) was killed at his desired destination. We didn't stop him, and I can't remember whether he simply failed at the stones or whether his comrade betrayed him during the enchantment and cost them both their lives. The Outcasts were similar to the Gorbesh, coming, conquering, and finally going as they wished.

So in every war, over all, the heroes of DragonRealms have ALWAYS eventually been defeated and left at the whims of their aggressor.

By contrast, the heroes of Gemstone have numerous wars as well. They've fought supernatural invading demons, armies led by the dark pantheon of their version of the immortals, more mundane invading armies from other kingdoms, and even the might of a baron of the human empire of Tamzyrr. They've won every single time.

In every prolonged war-type event, the heroes of Gemstone have NEVER ultimately been defeated, always eventually routing and/or foiling the designs of their enemies, including those of gods and other-worldly powers that could threaten even them.

I think that's a notable difference.
Re: Elven Titles 06/22/2007 08:19 PM CDT
>I think that's a notable difference.

When you put it that way, it sounds like I joined the wrong game.

... So, how about those Elven titles?

~ Celestian Kougen Aensworth, Advisor of Ilithi

"Live every day as though you will die tomorrow. Learn every day as though you will live forever." - Mahatma Ghandi
Re: Elven Titles 06/22/2007 08:46 PM CDT
Going to take my rambling to the Suggestions area of the Events folders.
Re: Elven Titles (Revisited) 04/15/2008 11:30 AM CDT
Well, Ileir. Love your ideas. I think some of them are optimistic to the point of foolishness, but I love them anyway.
I'm really hoping to see some Clan work done. Although, I am slightly torn as to whether I'd wear my Forest Elf affiliation title or my citizenship affiliation, since they are so drastically different.

If possible, I'd also love to see some Clan items brought into play. You know, just a little something to display your affiliation if you don't wear the title. I've had too much coffee today, so my brains running in circles instead of thinking up new ideas, so I'll work on that later!

~Terra
Fire Dancer of Velaka
Re: Elven Titles (Revisited) 04/16/2008 08:47 AM CDT
Your avatars confuse me.

Also, great title ideas.

- Mazrian
Elven Titles 09/15/2010 02:02 PM CDT
You can bet your dokoras this has been posted somewhere else and I've just missed it but..

I'd love to see some Elf Titles in 'Racial'

As a Snow Elf I'd like to get a Snow Elf title.. You are Snow Elf <name> or You are <Name> the Moon Mage, Snow Elf of Elanthia.

Of course add the other elven titles, Mountain, River, Wind ect ect. I understand titles are OOC so they don't need to be in elven or any more complicated then just that. A simple ruquest with HUGE roleplaying possibilities.

~Flowers~
Re: Elven Titles 09/15/2010 02:31 PM CDT
Also tasty elf, bitten elf, and gnawed on elf

Player of Drevid and Jhaval

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Re: Elven Titles 09/15/2010 02:37 PM CDT
<<Also tasty elf, bitten elf, and gnawed on elf

making my mouth water
Re: Elven Titles 09/16/2010 05:41 PM CDT
I like the idea, there are already have some racial titles out there as far as I remember so im sure theres room for some more for all the races.

Allowing some "clan"(bone,wind,snow etc) titles could even help define further how other Elven clans might react to each other... I think it opens up possibilites.

All I am is who I am, you can work it out for yourself.
Re: Elven Titles 09/17/2010 12:54 PM CDT
I'd love to meet the self-loathing genius who would walk around with the Bone Elf title on. Implied consent? Hehe.

- Terra
Re: Elven Titles 09/17/2010 01:30 PM CDT
I've always been a fan of the idea that certain titles should lock you Open while you wear them.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Elven Titles 09/17/2010 11:59 PM CDT
heh, if only i had an elf...

:-)

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page