Elothean Racial Instruments 06/12/2016 01:39 PM CDT
Why hello, fiveheads. I come in peace.

Elothean's currently don't have any OFFICIAL racial instruments. While I can't say what we'll end up doing for this -- is there any instrument (not currently already associated with a race) that exists in Dragonrealms (or doesn't exist!) that you think "fits" the Elothean vibe? Give reasons! Be specific!

I may only lurk this thread from this point onward.

~Evike
Re: Elothean Racial Instruments 06/12/2016 04:07 PM CDT
I see Elothean culture coming largely from Asian cultures, Japanese mainly, with some Chinese. That means that personally I've always thought of the shakuhachi and hichiriki as the two main instruments in game that evoke Elothean culture.

As for instruments that do not currently exist in DR, I know a certain Elothean Bard who has been dying for a guqin or a guzheng (Chinese zithers), and there's also the koto, the Japanese zither. For myself, I've always wanted a biwa but made do with the lute since they are essentially the same. I don't know as much about Asian percussion instruments but some of those would be welcome too.

I should also clarify that I see Aesry as a very Asian inspired Elothean home, but Ilithi as a more Western/fantasy interpretation. The diamondique gates, the many spires, the "floating" nature over the river, all speak to a highly intellectual and magical society, which makes sense given Elothean strengths. It is from this culture that I would expect to see some of the magical instruments I mentioned previously in Bard threads, such as floating orbs that glow in different colors. Other ideas: Long crystal flutes that produce chiming tones, glittering percussive sand, throaty wind-based pipes.

- Navesi
Re: Elothean Racial Instruments 06/12/2016 07:57 PM CDT
Steel guitar!

Sorry not sorry. The image of a very classically dressed Eloth sitting down and busting off a bad country tune amuses me.
Re: Elothean Racial Instruments 06/12/2016 08:26 PM CDT
+1 to pretty much everything Navesi said--I think she hit the nail on the (mostly-bald) head.

With the Elothean predilection for knotwork (shesegri) and complexity in general, I also think the French (Elothean?) horn or some sort of circular web-like/cross-strung lyre could be a good fit.
Re: Elothean Racial Instruments 06/12/2016 10:46 PM CDT
>>some sort of circular web-like/cross-strung lyre

Sry for the double post, but I got kinda into my own idea (:x) and wanted to propose a sample:

TAP: a shesegri-etched Elothean web lyre crafted from pale silverwillow
LOOK: Strung across the circular frame at varying angles and inclines, three sets of strings crisscross each other in a delicately intricate weave without touching. A ring of meticulous Elothean knotwork carved into the outer face of the wood further enhances the sophisticated beauty of the instrument's design.

(Based off a RL cross-strung harp, the IG "intricate Elothean Web quilt" item, and the fact that in-game lore [Of Silk and Lace] describes Elothean lace as especially web-like.)