Dark skinned Elotheans 08/29/2010 11:24 AM CDT
This has been driving me nuts for a long time.

The Elothean books are very specific about what most Elotheans look like. What I want to know is, then, what does Elothean society think about all of these really dark skinned Elotheans walking around?

Does society say anything about them? Elothean culture is the one who seems to be a strong emphasis on what people look like, between the Houses and that secret society thing.

What does the Elothean world think about ebon skinned Elotheans? And dark skinned, dark brown? It's the only race I've seen that looks like it should have a restriction on what features you choose, but it doesn't. So what's the deal with these Elotheans? Outcasts? I doubt it since they can still join a house. What's their deal?

I'd really like a red name or a Lurefu Master to answer me this. Where would someone like this belong? Except in a trash can.

You have tilted almond-shaped eyes, one bleeding and stormy grey and one stormy grey. Your amber-streaked dark brown hair is short and wavy, and is worn loose. You have dark skin and a lean build.

Thank you!

- Terra
Raesh gives Terra wings. And then rips them off and beats her with them.
Re: Dark skinned Elotheans 08/29/2010 12:53 PM CDT
On the less specific ones like 'dark' I'd say it could just be 'dark for an elothean' and leave it at that. No idea on the ebon skinned eloth thing though.

Ogdaro
Re: Dark skinned Elotheans 08/29/2010 02:40 PM CDT
From Elothean Studies:

"Elothean skin ranges from a pale white (caused by scholarly in-door pursuits) to a dark brown (believed to be the result of Elven-Human throwbacks)."

Ebon is a lot darker than dark brown, of course, but it's not so weird that it couldn't be considered normal. Elothean Studies was of course written by a DP who may not have had access to the full Eloth population.

The only "outcast" feature specifically mentioned is brown eyes:

"Elothean eye color is usually blue, green, violet, or grey. Few are born with brown eyes, fewer still with hazel. Those that are are viewed as half- breeds but -- rather than reviled -- are often welcomed amongst their people, but pitied."

Strange again that it doesn't mention the darker range (black), or some of the other options (silver, gold, amber without cat-slitting). I personally have treated brown-eyed Eloths with pity and regarded black-haired and black-eyed Eloths as unusual but nothing special.

A long long time ago I ran through the CG about a million times just to see what colors came out most commonly for Eloths. I'd be happy to share this with you if you want -- I still have the data lying around. If I recall correctly the most common combination was amber hair and grey eyes, and all skin colors were equally likely. (P.S. Don't do this as it turns out it annoys the GMs. ;) )
Re: Dark skinned Elotheans 08/29/2010 06:41 PM CDT
Oh thank you, I'm not sure why I never reads that book. Reading it would have obviously prevented the need for this post.

- Terra
Raesh gives Terra wings. And then rips them off and beats her with them.