Dwarves book series 06/03/2016 01:19 PM CDT
Just from idle curiosity, has anyone read the book series by Markus Heitz? I read a lot of fantasy/sci fi/techno thrillers and that series came to my attention a few years ago. I wont say what I think of it yet, I just want to see what others think of it. I'll tell my reaction to it later though.

Sok Masticack Dwarven Thief and Musparan Sandrat Extrodinaire
Re: Dwarves book series 06/03/2016 01:24 PM CDT
Make that the series DWARVES by Markus Heitz.

Re: Dwarves book series 06/03/2016 02:35 PM CDT
I've read the series up through The Fate of the Dwarves, and I thought it was okay. Not going to hit my top books of all time, but I did enjoy my time reading it. And certainly if you're looking for a good dose of Dwarves that hit most of the standard fantasy tropes for the species, it'll scratch that itch.

- Miskton
Re: Dwarves book series 06/04/2016 11:53 AM CDT
I'm reading the first in the series right now. It's okay. Good distracting read when I'm on an airplane...which is most every week.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Dwarves book series 06/04/2016 12:50 PM CDT
It definitely does scratch that Dwarf itch. Ive finished the whole series and also, while it wont be in my top ten list it is entertaining. Theres some things I dont particularly like,but that can be said for any series of books. I got into it because, Hello! Its DWARVES. There can be no greater fantasy race created.

Re: Dwarves book series 06/04/2016 12:53 PM CDT
>>I'm reading the first in the series right now. It's okay. Good distracting read when I'm on an airplane...which is most every week.

Its a good read for sure, one of the things I like about it is the main character isnt a stereotypical Dwarf. A Dwarf done well,but not your average for sure.

Re: Dwarves book series 07/27/2016 01:09 AM CDT
aside tolkien, my fav dwarf was in the spectre of the dark rose book. after a short wiki it was a ravenloft book (only read the one book) that had some dark pally soth who had some issues (mostly he wouldnt say he was sorry). the dwarfs name is azrael dak, and he was a were-badger, and straight up evil little dude, who had some demon pact and was quite rogue-like. it was the first book i ever read where a dwarf was sneaky and stealthy and not all heave ho stomping around wherever he went listing off his lineage and dwarf fortitude.

-Munch-
Re: Dwarves book series 07/29/2016 09:24 PM CDT
First book I really remember readding with Dwarves was "The Halflings Gem". I think that Drow elf everyone is still gaga over Dryzzt first appeared there. That was a long time ago. Over 20 years for sure.

Re: Dwarves book series 07/30/2016 02:57 AM CDT
My first book with dwarves in it was The Hobbit when I was 10 or so. TLOTR trilogy came next on my 12th birthday. My fate as a nerd was sealed that day.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Dwarves book series 07/30/2016 06:08 AM CDT
Sometimes I think I'm the only person who didn't really enjoy LOTR. I found it long, rambling, and kind of dull. I enjoyed hobbit because it was shorter and more focused, and I'm aware Tolkien considered it his children's novel. But I didn't find either 'hard' to read or grasp.
Re: Dwarves book series 07/30/2016 01:06 PM CDT
The hobbit is probably my favorite book, but once I got to the first meadow passages in LOTR I admitted defeat and just got an audiobook. Much more digestable.

First book I read with dwarves was in the Death Gate Cycle. Also the first book I read with beareded dwarf women, but since they used the word "whiskers" my grade-school self imagined they just had enormous sideburns.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Dwarves book series 07/30/2016 05:18 PM CDT
>>Sometimes I think I'm the only person who didn't really enjoy LOTR

Ive read the hobbit and it wasnt bad, Ive never finished the restof the series. I just couldnt get into it. You arent alone.

Re: Dwarves book series 07/30/2016 07:53 PM CDT
The second book is a bit of a slog compared to the others, I'll admit. Particularly that chapter which is just a list of kings and other people of import for the most part. I usually gloss or skip over that part every time I re-read it.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators