Dwarf weapons and tattoos 10/24/2015 09:19 AM CDT
I was thinking of making myself a dwarf thief (as a polar opposite of my halfling thief, just to test the different stat bonus setups vs. khri//concentration, and because I think it would be fun).

As such, I picked up a handful of weapon templates I like, but was wondering if there are more 'dwarf' versions of them.

Small edge (puncture preferred (obviously?))
pole
staff
light thrown
sling*

I was also wondering if there are dwarf cultural issues regarding facial tattoos (I was thinking something along Dragon Age, where the dwarves often had a small glyph on their cheek, or similar), lines of script or something not-pure-white-trash.

*I, as a player loathe bows. You will not convince me to use one, end of discussion. I also simply prefer slings over crossbow for the novelty, and if I do PvP, it will either be with a LT or a SE, so meh.
Re: Dwarf weapons and tattoos 10/24/2015 09:22 AM CDT

can't speak much to the pole/staff/sling category but dwarf=axe is a pretty solid fantasy staple. So Light throwing Axe for LT (and also a slashing SE in a pinch)
Re: Dwarf weapons and tattoos 10/24/2015 10:42 AM CDT
You picked pretty much every weapon that doesn't have a Dwarven specific type. Throwing axes are impact/slice not puncture. There are dwarven kidney daggers around but they aren't the best app...

A bone-handled Dwarven kidney dagger is a light edged melee-ranged weapon.
A bone-handled Dwarven kidney dagger trains the small edged skill.

You are certain that it could do:
somewhat fair puncture damage
poor slice damage
dismal impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage

The kidney dagger is terribly designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the dagger is soundly balanced and is poorly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the kidney dagger is appreciably susceptible to damage, and is in pristine condition.

The kidney dagger is made with metal.
You are certain that the kidney dagger weighs exactly 30 stones.
You are certain that the kidney dagger is worth exactly 5950 Lirums.

Tatoos are no problem at all culturally. Go for it!

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: Dwarf weapons and tattoos 10/26/2015 12:45 PM CDT
Not exactly a sling, but how about a stonebow. The bow teaches Light Crossbow, but shoots stones of all types. Anything light can be used as a light thrown item these days, specially if you add in hurl/lob. How about a thrusting axe(it is LE)? Short hammer, hand axe, war hammer, spiked hammer could work as LT if they are light enough. Not sure I've seen too many staffs that would be Dwarf specific, except maybe one designed to fit a cleric of Hodierna. Pole-ranged I'd have to go with a pole axe, double axe, lochaber axe, two-pronged halberd(bought at stone clan).

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Dwarf weapons and tattoos 10/27/2015 07:52 AM CDT

dwarven iron arbalest emblazoned with the hammer-and-mountain symbol of the Gardul City State
steel thorakes reinforced with bronze bands and engraved with images of a Dwarven hammer in a raised fist
Dwarven greataxe

Stone clan has some other stuff, none of it recently added or even decent appraisal. no dwarf liason=no dwarf love! btw anyone know how to get into stone clan these days>?
Re: Dwarf weapons and tattoos 10/27/2015 04:48 PM CDT
>btw anyone know how to get into stone clan these days>?

You walk in, as far as I know. Events blew the doors off a while ago.

>Stone clan has some other stuff, none of it recently added or even decent appraisal.

God no. The stuff in Stone clan isn't gear. It's horrible. The stats are terrible and the weight is worse.

>no dwarf liason=no dwarf love!

Aside from some existing expansion to races, there hasn't been a lot of stuff like that in the past few years. It's not really a dwarf issue, so much as it is 'not enough GM time' issue.
Re: Dwarf weapons and tattoos 10/27/2015 04:56 PM CDT

I tried to go in not long ago, they sentinels wanted a password or some such.

even when there were liasons, the elves and humans had a good amount of additions. pryds and rakash too. with dwarfs its usually 1 or 2 dedicated players, with I think krugger being the last feller to add a bunch of stuff to the lore
Re: Dwarf weapons and tattoos 10/27/2015 04:57 PM CDT
>I tried to go in not long ago, they sentinels wanted a password or some such.

Here's a hint: Lord of the Rings.

The Kasto mimic abruptly solidifies, looking very much like Kasto.
>
You say, "What a handsome fellow you are!"
Re: Dwarf weapons and tattoos 10/27/2015 05:58 PM CDT
One does not simply walk into Stone Clan.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Dwarf weapons and tattoos 10/28/2015 06:27 AM CDT
>no dwarf liason=no dwarf love!

>>Aside from some existing expansion to races, there hasn't been a lot of stuff like that in the past few years. It's not really a dwarf issue, so much as it is 'not enough GM time' issue.

Some Dwarf-related things within the last few years:

* Beard jewelry that shows up in your features was released.

* There were events surrounding Stone Clan, including information about Ulstaan and Baergar, Clan leadership, changes to the hoy, and other ongoing Clan projects.

* The Stone Clan Dwarf Goi did some alterations and was out for a few other events.

* One of the only surviving guards of the Ulf'Hara Keep destruction was a Stone Clan Dwarf, Vathbiirk.

* A very in-demand merchant and alterer, Garnaal, is a Dwarf, and he just so happens to have created an entirely new type of metal. There have been many events involving him, as well as his shop and his creation of moonsilver.

* Several other Dwarf-related new rares have been released, including gemfire velvet and many new gems discovered by the Dwarven miner and gemsmith Sunddan Harlabek.

* The current circus is run by a Dwarf, Plokks, who is from Forfedhdar, and it is running in a location just outside of Hib. Many of the workers involved in the circus are Dwarves. Some of the ongoing plot with Plokks is in fact related to his race, though most players have not chosen to explore that angle.

This is just the short list I can think of off of the top of my head!

-Persida
Re: Dwarf weapons and tattoos 11/04/2015 08:45 PM CST

Alright, I got served on that one Persi
Re: Dwarf weapons and tattoos 11/22/2015 08:34 AM CST

almost a month after the post I poke my nose in. Dwarven thief...Not that many of us around. Overall there are only a handful that have made a name for themselves. If you ever want advice from one of them, it aint hard to figure out their names. Heck the relative of one of them is still around and knows a few tricks.

Seriously, if you are working a Dwarven Thief, my hats off to you. It aint easy. Not at all.