Dwarven racial beard...things 07/16/2010 10:08 PM CDT
First off, not sure how I missed out on the Social...anyone happen to have one of Kraggur's 2nd place designs for sale/trade?

Second...beard jewelry got me to thinking and then I ran across this pic in my wanderings..

http://jp.games-workshop.com/Warhammer/armies/dwarfs/gettingstarted/images/dwarf-warrior_270x270.jpg

Notice the caps on the braids? I was thinking it might be nice for the dwarves to have something similar, possibly in place of racial titles. (Gave those about 10 minutes thought and realized my Haakish is suspect at best.) So here's my pitch, such as it is..

A set of ornamental braid caps (I know that's not good)

Would be generally worn but only one set at a time (think the floating ravens/skulls/tombstone things), removable but bonded (no selling/trading, don't care to see is a hairy Kaldar with these on).

Received from NPC clan elder in a ceremony of varying pomp and circumstance, depending on level (see below).

Could be available at any dwarven stronghold ie: Stone Clan, Boar Clan, Raven's Point, etc. Or possibly only one site for each, the Oeblicher for 50th circle and another static sacred/significant location for the rest (think barb dance instructors).

Upon attaining 50th circle of chosen guild - caps made from silver/oravir can be with or without small cambrinth stones inset (Capacity 11? I'm a barb, what do I know?)

75th circle - caps made from gold - two thin cambrinth strips around top and bottom. (Capacity 20)

100th circle - Platinum - heavily streaked w/cambrinth (Capacity 32)

125th circle - Animite/Anlora-Avtoma/Blue-Gold (probably provided by player and may require a GMNPC to create.) - Large band of cambrinth (Capacity 32)

150th circle - Glaes/Kertig/Damite (player provided)(Capacity 48) Definite GMNPC interaction needed- Treated more or less like a 'free' alteration with regards to description and cambrinth design

That's my very rough concept. Really would need some polishing by the likes of Sortny and Kraggur, they are obviously much more adept at creating (good) designs than I am.

If you care to think on it, suggestions, idea's, comments and/or improvements are appreciated. If not...

Ramse
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 07/17/2010 08:26 AM CDT
Boar Clan is Tog run, not Dwarven. Inner Hibarnhvidar is Dwarven however.

Asbhuan
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 07/17/2010 09:43 AM CDT
>>Boar Clan is Tog run, not Dwarven. Inner Hibarnhvidar is Dwarven however.

I stand corrected. Thanks. Any suggestions, idea's, comments and/or improvements to the greater portion of the suggestion would be appreciated.

Ramse
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 07/23/2010 08:30 AM CDT
Hi Ramse,

I'd have to mull it over a bit to see what I could come up with, but I think it is an interesting idea. However, almost in place of guild requirements I could see having skill requirements which allowed certain materials / material combination.

I think it could also dovetail into the crafting system, something along the lines of the dwarven pillars (given that crafting slots are guild based rather than race based might be a bit of a stretch) but I could see several of the paths supporting player-made items that are beard-worn.

Also, as far as I know, I think only Sortny's design was made and put in-game. Worrclan I've not seen around for a bit (not that I've precisely been hopping either...), but he'd be the source on that one.

Cheers,
Kraggur

Moon Mages who get hit with HULP should indulge in their Survival Secondary side and run away.

-Armifer
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 08/19/2010 01:57 AM CDT
Well, here goes nothing!

I think these would be a very interesting idea, and perhaps could be a part of the new lore / crafting system, although I don’t know how the various materials / designs could be “parsed out” by circle in that case. (Not to mention I’d kill to be able to have dwarves carve their own pillars… cough cough hint hint cough cough).

Major Guild Milestones:
<Guild Title> (Circle 30)
Expert (Circle 40)
Master (Circle 60)
Grand Master (Circle 80)
Legendary (Circle 100)
Almost-Transcendant (Circle 125)
Transcendent (Circle 150)

Mik skeg (grand beard)

Circle 30 – <stone>, unadorned crafted.
Circle 40 – <stone>, plainly crafted
Circle 60 – <stone>, adorned
Circle 80 – <stone>, cunningly crafted
Circle 100 – <metal/stone>, plainly crafted
Circle 125 – <metal/stone>, adorned
Circle 150 – <metal/stone>, cunningly crafted

Until circle 100, a stone of the player’s choice is used. Upon reaching a circle milestone, the player undertakes a mini-quest to “improve” their mik skeg. At circle 100, either metal or a “higher tier” of stone is used.

At circle 30, the dwarf, having reached an appropriate level of maturity as evidenced by their standing within the guild, may adorn their beard with a simple indication of their status. They receive a simple <stone> mik skeg.

At circle 40, having risen somewhat above being a member of their chosen profession, the dwarf is able to begin embellishing the mik skeg. Simple steps are taught to refine the appearance and make it more presentable.

At circle 60, the dwarf has advanced enough to be considered a master of their craft. As such they learn the skills necessary to present proper indicators of their guild upon the mik skeg. (For this I would recommend a gem or something that could have an association with a particular guild. Moonstone for moon mages, for example.)

At circle 80, the dwarf is suitably well known that other artisans are willing to aid in enhancing the mik skeg. With their help, the last roughness is removed from the <stone>, revealing the true craftsmanship of the dwarves.

At circle 100, the clan itself has come to recognize the contributions of the dwarf to society (or notoriety) and has provided some pure <metal> or exceptionally fine <stone> for the mik skeg. The original mik skeg is placed with the dwarf’s pillar as a token of where they have been. A new mik skeg is crafted, with the gem elements of their guild incorporated directly into the mik skeg.

At circle 125, even the grey beards are beginning to talk about the dwarf’s accomplishments. A second gem is added, of the dwarf’s choice. Further elaboration is given to the mik skeg, detailing some of their accomplishments in life that it will be forever remembered.

Lastly, at circle 150, the dwarf has reached the pinnacle of excellence. Artisans from across the dwarf-holds have volunteered to make a masterpiece worthy of such a dwarf.

Unadorned:
A simple set of mik skeg, crafted from <stone>. The edges are rough and the entire set are unadorned.

Plainly:
A plainly crafted set of <stone/metal> mik skeg. They have been smoothed to a polish from hours of loving labor and many months of braiding into a beard.

Adorned:
A smooth set of <stone/metal> mik skeg, adorned with <gems>. The <gems> have been finely laid into the front of the <stone/metal> showing no seams or sign of fracture.

Cunningly:
A glorious set of <stone/metal> mik skeg, heavily adorned with <gems>. All four sides of the <stone/metal> have been lavishly decorated with <gems>.

For the circle 100+ mik skeg, the following description is added: Dwarven runes of accomplishment are cunningly etched across the surface.

The circle 150 mik skeg would add beyond that: Additionally, the symbols of the dwarven kingdoms are etched on the inside of each of the mik skeg, indicating the dwarf’s status as nearly without peer.

Character look:
--current--
You have a thick bushy mustache that droops heavily on your upper lip and a thick beard twisted into three long braids.

--with mik skeg—
You have a thick bushy mustache braided with <insert mik skeg> on your upper lip, and a thick beard woven with <insert mik skeg>.

each description in the look would become more embellished with each tier of mik skeg.

Moon Mages who get hit with HULP should indulge in their Survival Secondary side and run away.

-Armifer
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 08/19/2010 02:06 AM CDT
I can see you put a lot of thought into it. The game has never seen any sort of crafting based on race and I think it's pretty neat.

I definitely support the idea and think it would add quite a bit more depth to dwarves in a way that is visible to other people.

Good idea, thanks for sharing it.

Khorgar ~ wants his mik skeg
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 08/19/2010 12:35 PM CDT
Take away circle requirements, adjust the idea accordingly, and make it happen. Thanks.
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 08/19/2010 12:40 PM CDT
Sure would be nice if this idea were intertwined with the task system somehow rather than circle based.

I think it'd be awesome that you'd have to complete certain tasks to prove yourself worthy of a mik skeg. However, it would also be nice if it was enforced that these accomplishments had to be done yourself.

But either way I'd still like to see this happen. I think it would be great for enriching dwarves.

Khorgar ~ still wants his mik skeg
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 08/19/2010 12:52 PM CDT
I know age is very random, but I wouldn't mind seeing it tied into age. I not used the task system, but it isn't a bad idea either.
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 08/19/2010 05:07 PM CDT
Glad to see this idea is still being kicked around. Thanks for actually putting some thought into it, Kraggur. I'd be happy to see it implemented in some form, yours or mine, a combination or some other way. Dwarves need some beard love.

- Ramse
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 08/19/2010 05:13 PM CDT
BTW, do we have a race champion and if so, anyone know who is it?

-Ramse
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 08/19/2010 08:54 PM CDT
Agree whole heartedly.

I forget who the race champion is (and boy, are they likely to hunt me down with an axe and kill me for forgetting). I know Worrclan has tended to be active as far as getting dwarves together. (Might have been / be Bursaal come to think of it.)

-Armifer
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 08/20/2010 02:09 AM CDT
Redarch (?)

Segmere
Shadow Priest, Baron's Own Militia

"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." ~WC Fields
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 06/07/2012 03:31 AM CDT
So I was reading back through the folder and I wanted to resurrect Ramse's "braid cap" idea because I titally loved it and have ALWAYS wanted braid bands/caps/beard rings for my Dwarb. It didn't seem to gain much traction before. Maybe this time...

The post:

Second...beard jewelry got me to thinking and then I ran across this pic in my wanderings..

http://jp.games-workshop.com/Warhammer/armies/dwarfs/gettingstarted/images/dwarf-warrior_270x270.jpg

Notice the caps on the braids? I was thinking it might be nice for the dwarves to have something similar, possibly in place of racial titles. (Gave those about 10 minutes thought and realized my Haakish is suspect at best.) So here's my pitch, such as it is..

A set of ornamental braid caps (I know that's not good)

Would be generally worn but only one set at a time (think the floating ravens/skulls/tombstone things), removable but bonded (no selling/trading, don't care to see is a hairy Kaldar with these on).

Received from NPC clan elder in a ceremony of varying pomp and circumstance, depending on level (see below).

Could be available at any dwarven stronghold ie: Stone Clan, Boar Clan, Raven's Point, etc. Or possibly only one site for each, the Oeblicher for 50th circle and another static sacred/significant location for the rest (think barb dance instructors).

Upon attaining 50th circle of chosen guild - caps made from silver/oravir can be with or without small cambrinth stones inset (Capacity 11? I'm a barb, what do I know?)

75th circle - caps made from gold - two thin cambrinth strips around top and bottom. (Capacity 20)

100th circle - Platinum - heavily streaked w/cambrinth (Capacity 32)

125th circle - Animite/Anlora-Avtoma/Blue-Gold (probably provided by player and may require a GMNPC to create.) - Large band of cambrinth (Capacity 32)

150th circle - Glaes/Kertig/Damite (player provided)(Capacity 48) Definite GMNPC interaction needed- Treated more or less like a 'free' alteration with regards to description and cambrinth design

That's my very rough concept. Really would need some polishing by the likes of Sortny and Kraggur, they are obviously much more adept at creating (good) designs than I am.

So any takers this time?

~The Dwarf~
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 06/07/2012 10:52 AM CDT
Well this was the design that won a contest at the Stone Clan Social and was handed out as a gift: a string of hematite skeg gimren carved into ravens-in-flight (neck-worn so gives the illusion of being on the beard). The caps could be made the same way.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 06/07/2012 11:38 AM CDT
I did have a pretty lengthy post after yours, if you want me to I can try and dig it up.

~Kraggur

DR Armorcrafting 3.0:
http://tinyurl.com/drarmor3

DR Blacksmithing Tools 3.0:
http://www.tinyurl.com/DRBSTools3

DR Crafting Calc:
http://tinyurl.com/DRCraftCalc
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 06/07/2012 09:51 PM CDT
I posted something like this a while back (forgot which folder), but more like an ARRANGE BEARD option, so you can wear/braid it in a couple different styles. Also would let other folks (humans, kaldar, etc.) have to option...but I like the idea of a dwarf-only beard option.

Kalkomar (and pals)
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 06/08/2012 02:23 AM CDT
From what I understand, the feature system is ... scary code. I assume beards would be part of this.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 06/08/2012 03:12 AM CDT
>>From what I understand, the feature system is ... scary code. I assume beards would be part of this.

Hahah... haha... ha.

You don't even know the half of it.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 06/08/2012 08:25 AM CDT
D:

beware the beard integer. bewaaare.

Melete
[Turmis] I'm about to shoot beards in the face
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 06/08/2012 11:07 AM CDT
<<[Turmis] I'm about to shoot beards in the face>>

I'm glad you posted here, the last few posts made me think of your amusing signature.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 06/08/2012 12:26 PM CDT
<<beware the beard integer. bewaaare.

So, when are we getting Beards 2.0?
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 06/08/2012 07:33 PM CDT
>>So, when are we getting Beards 2.0?

I think we have them.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 06/08/2012 07:35 PM CDT
>I think we have them.

Given what every GM says about them, did beards 2.0 write themselves?

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 06/08/2012 07:43 PM CDT
Beards obtained sentience. I hope you're ready for Beards 3.0, which will handle Combat 3.0 from now on.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 06/08/2012 07:50 PM CDT
The problem with beards 2.0 is that at the upper echelons of beard length, people like Sortny are experiencing one-shot-death failures for trimming and shaping. Hopefully 3.0 will help smooth this over, so beard trimming is manageable from 0 to 2000 ranks.
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 06/08/2012 07:53 PM CDT
>>Hopefully 3.0 will help smooth this over, so beard trimming is manageable from 0 to 2000 ranks.

Once trimming and shaving are combined into a single skill it should make more sense.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 06/08/2012 08:35 PM CDT
no shaving dwarves!

Elotheans and Elves though will be offered various shaving creams and dipilatories in 3.0. Rakash however will not be able to use them in moonskin.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 06/09/2012 02:11 AM CDT
I'm sort of hoping for a way to freeze fully grown beards. I had way more people interested in this when I was trying to test some beard-shifting stuff than anything.

---
Inauri
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 06/09/2012 06:55 AM CDT
I'd like to freeze it fully grown Before it gets to the final stage <shaggy>. And be able to have it stay braided unless deliberately unbraided.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 06/09/2012 07:02 AM CDT
I think Melete has been pestered about beard freezing before. I think the answer was frustration.

I know it's low priority because a lot of people simply remove their beards with unguent, but it'd be nice to see it get fixed up.
Re: Dwarven racial beard...things 06/14/2012 08:15 PM CDT
Not a Dwarf, but I would love to be able to have my beard growth halted at 'a scruffy growth of stubble'