Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 04/08/2014 11:25 AM CDT
So currently nearing the end of elder brocket deer, and to this point I've used a multi suit comprising of a plate cuirass, lamellar balaclava, leather sleeves, and chain greaves. Lately I've been having a heck of a time moving light and brig armors with this setup, but granted I'm within 10% or so of the hard cap. I'm currently lightly hindered, but I'm wondering how viable this suit will be as I start approaching 300+. Will I eventually need to swap armors to actually move them? As it is now, I love not having to worry about it, not losing any time swapping and taking full advantage of our skillset perks.
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 04/08/2014 04:43 PM CDT
>>Ragingfires: Lately I've been having a heck of a time moving light and brig armors with this setup, but granted I'm within 10% or so of the hard cap. I'm currently lightly hindered, but I'm wondering how viable this suit will be as I start approaching 300+. Will I eventually need to swap armors to actually move them?

I would consider investing in some greaves that you can swap to move your slower armors. It's a minor nuisance, but it makes it easier to keep all of your armors moving along.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 04/08/2014 09:58 PM CDT
I highly suggest wearing all 4 at the same time. We've got the perk for it, and prime pools, take advantage. Below is the armor list I use at the moment, and have outfitted a few up and coming squire types with it for great effect all around. If you need a smith and can't find one local, chase me down (my AIM's in my profile).

All of your armor:

some insulated heavy ruazin wool pants sealed with protective wax
a damite heavy plate fauld
some lumium lamellar gloves
a triple-reinforced vardite pavise shield
some lumium lamellar vambraces
a damite heavy breastplate
a heavy damite backplate
a lumium chain balaclava

But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly (4/14) hindered and your stealth is moderately (7/14) hindered.

Samsaren
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 04/08/2014 09:58 PM CDT
Here's my setup and current experience after 40 minutes in apes. I have, and always will, swear by this setup.

Setup:
Half plate
Brig greaves
Chain helm
Plate mask
Cloth (titanese) gloves

Shield Usage: 7xx 61% mind lock (34/34)
Light Armor: 6xx 16% enthralled (32/34)
Chain Armor: 6xx 54% mind lock (34/34)
Brigandine: 7xx 08% mind lock (34/34)
Plate Armor: 7xx 92% mind lock (34/34)

--Just a Squire
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 04/09/2014 09:50 AM CDT
I believe swapping greaves is still the quickest way to mind lock individual armors, but I also find it a lot more efficient, especially in 3.x, to simply wear all armors at the same time.

All of your armor:

a pockmarked copper chain aventail (chain, neck)
a pair of thick goggles with a shark-cartilage frame (bone, eyes)
an enameled lamellar cap embellished with tiny dragons (brig, head)
a dull steel field plate (plate, body)
a triple-reinforced vardite pavise shield
some scratched copper plate sleeves (plate, arms)

After about 30 minutes in combat...

Shield Usage: 1036 33% rapt (30/34)
Light Armor: 900 06% considering (6/34)
Chain Armor: 933 36% pondering (7/34)
Brigandine: 950 80% pondering (7/34)
Plate Armor: 1008 65% mind lock (34/34)
Defending: 992 31% very focused (21/34)

Unless you're technically underhunting, they usually all eventually lock or get close enough that you won't deal with significant gaps in skill after exp drain. And that's using the tiniest accessories available.

Armor's the smallest skill set in the game at 6 skills; even though only 3 of its skills truly matter, you have to eek out everything you can get to compete with everyone else and their 10+++ skill primary skill sets in terms of TDPs (assuming that's your thing).
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/01/2014 04:05 PM CDT
Any advice on a store-bought multi-suit?

I'm quite broke, these days!

Currently have:

a bone breastplate (light, chest/abdomen/back)

some half plate (plate, arms/chest/abdomen/back)

an armet helm (brigandine, head/neck/eyes)

some plate greaves (plate, legs)

Still low-level but I don't mind getting smacked around.
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/01/2014 04:23 PM CDT
>... store-bought...

Eww... Store-bought. There are a few paladins who will forge a good basic set of armor for you at little to no cost or for a small task.

I'll also plug the Ilithi militia surplus trader shop. It's usually stocked with very inexpensive forged starter gear.

Feel free to contact me over IM if you need some help (AIM: theonlywarbie).
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/01/2014 05:46 PM CDT
What I use:

Half plate (HP) from Crossings.
Chain gloves (...chain?) from Crossings
some hammered bronze greaves (Brig) from the Haven shop
And a leather helmet (light armor) from Crossings.

I have upgraded the helmet to a tanned cowl, and the gloves to some nice forged ones, but that's my store setup. You can get everything but the greaves from the crossings armor shop, for 4-5 gold total.

At low ranks I've found I'm best off using stance like 100/61/20 eva/shie/parry, since I was getting absolutely destroyed in parry stance due to hindrance.

If you have 20-30 plat laying around, you could probably upgrade the helmet/gloves/greaves cheap and easy, though the plate obviously is going to be expensive.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/01/2014 10:50 PM CDT
>>Reaver1: Any advice on a store-bought multi-suit?

You can now search Elanthipedia for armor with certain stats. (Choose rare = no to limit the search to standard store-bought items.)

http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/Special:RunQuery/ArmorQuery

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/01/2014 11:46 PM CDT
<<Still low-level but I don't mind getting smacked around.>>

Either come find Lennon in Hib or track him down when he visits Crossing and he will set you up with a better than store bought setup.

All he requires is you hand it down to a Paladin in need when you outgrow it.

--Just a Squire
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/25/2014 09:51 PM CDT
Ya know, Warbie made a good point about the Armor skill set and TDPs. Why don't paladins get slightly more TDPs per skill rank in Armor skills to compensate? We do have to work harder for the same number of TDPs as it stands right now compared to other guilds. I have learned over and again that the paladin guild is not for the impatient! lol
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/26/2014 06:35 AM CDT
Man, I'd love to explain why, but I'm sure Warb and Nray would just tell me I was being a bully.

Do I have permission to post? Am I being a bully right now?!
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/26/2014 02:59 PM CDT
Huh? I'm getting called out and Idunno why. Might make for a funny conflicts thread, though. I think those still exist, anyway... Haven't read any funny ones in ages.
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/26/2014 02:59 PM CDT
"Man, I'd love to explain why, but I'm sure Warb and Nray would just tell me I was being a bully.

Do I have permission to post? Am I being a bully right now?!"

Yes and yes.
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/26/2014 04:16 PM CDT
>Man, I'd love to explain why, but I'm sure Warb and Nray would just tell me I was being a bully.

>Do I have permission to post? Am I being a bully right now?!

This isn't about you, not sure why you keep trying to make it about you instead of the topic at hand.

#passiveagressivePoorMe
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/26/2014 09:23 PM CDT
<< and the follow up was someone attempting to continue a fight.>>

No. The follow-up was not someone attempting to continue a fight. The follow-up was someone pointing in relation to the hypocritical nature of your post where you pointed out something about the claims of a fellow poster that you then did in your own post. No personal attacks were made. I simply made you aware of the inconsistency of your message to the other poster and your behavior itself. That said, the "fight" was only continued because you began throwing a hissy-fit and having a temper tantrum. You became hyperbolic claiming the bully title for yourself and then brought Warb (who had nothing to do with it) into it.

<<And I notice no one has explained why Paladins can't get more TDPs for armor ranks. I would but I'm a passive aggressive bully stalker.>>

I get it. You are important and have a lot of knowledge that you would like to share with us, if only we swine could understand your pearls. I get it. For you to share that vast knowledge with us we need to stroke your ego (I hope that is all) and beg you to do so. I get it. We cannot question the veracity of your claims or call you out when your posts come across as being disingenuous.

So if you would like to continue your silly ploy for attention would you be so kind as to take it to a conflicts folder and see if anyone feels like following you over there? Because honestly, I come to this board to discuss Paladin issues in relation to weapons, armor, and tactics.

--Just a Squire
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/26/2014 10:08 PM CDT
Decided I wasn't being helpful. Deleted my posts. Maybe I should have read Lennon's first, but whatever. I sure am a terrible person. And no one has answered the initial question of why paladins can't get more TDPs for armor. Might want to do that, because I can't, I don't dare post here any more.
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/26/2014 10:42 PM CDT
>Decided I wasn't being helpful. Deleted my posts. Maybe I should have read Lennon's first, but whatever. I sure am a terrible person. And no one has answered the initial question of why paladins can't get more TDPs for armor. Might want to do that, because I can't, I don't dare post here any more.

"Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, I think I'll go eat worms! Great big juicy ones, eenie weenie skinny ones, see how they wiggle and squirm! Cut off their heads, and suck out their juice, and throw all their skins away! Nobody knows how I survive on worms three times a day!

Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, I think I'll go eat worms! Great Big juicy ones, eenie weenie skinny ones, see how they wiggle and squirm!"
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/27/2014 07:34 AM CDT
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/27/2014 11:42 AM CDT
>Decided I wasn't being helpful. Deleted my posts. Maybe I should have read Lennon's first, but whatever. I sure am a terrible person. And no one has answered the initial question of why paladins can't get more TDPs for armor. Might want to do that, because I can't, I don't dare post here any more.

I don't base opinion of people on their forum posts. I don't know if you're a good or bad person, but I do want to know your (and any other player's) opinions on topics related to the game we play. I may agree with you. I may not. It might even get heated since we clearly all care about the game, or we wouldn't all play/post. Either way, I think it's good for the game when people post constructively and debate topics on which they don't see eye to eye.

I haven't read any personal attacks on you or anything else that should elicit a response like the post(s) above. Setting aside Dragonrealms for a moment, if posts are affecting you that way, maybe it's a good time to take a forum break. I don't mean that to sound offensive in any way. I mean that as a concerned person who generally likes people. I'm going to blaspheme here and state RL > DR.

Back on topic, I actually would like to know others' opinions on why we can't, to use your words, have more armor skill TDPs. I assume it boils down to not having enough useful skills that might fall under an armor skill set. That's the general impression I get from GMs who post about the armor skill set; that it's not simply because armor is too easy to train. If that were the biggest motivating factor in why skill sets have the skills they have, I imagine I probably wouldn't be able to easily keep 8-9 magic skills (9-10 when I played my magic primaries) or 12++ weapon skills moving at once. I mean, let's face it, every skill is easy to train. In any case, I'd happily sacrifice ease of training for more useful armor skills.
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/27/2014 11:43 AM CDT
>http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

So tempted to post the NSFW version, but I thought my post might get pulled.
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/28/2014 12:51 PM CDT
<<Back on topic, I actually would like to know others' opinions on why we can't, to use your words, have more armor skill TDPs. I assume it boils down to not having enough useful skills that might fall under an armor skill set. That's the general impression I get from GMs who post about the armor skill set; that it's not simply because armor is too easy to train.>>

Well I do remember 10ish years ago when this topic came up, there was a GM post that since armor is essentially a passive skill to learn (you just have to stand there), it is indeed easier to get ranks in than weapons. Not sure if that is still the view.

--Just a Squire
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/28/2014 03:11 PM CDT
I hope that's not still the case. Times have changed. So much. I mean, I never expected barbs and thieves would have access to magic skills (post rune changes) or that the magic skill set would be about as large as the survival skill set.

Relatively speaking, training is so easy now that most people I know have a pretty even distribution across all primary skills they choose to train, whether trained passively or actively. Also, interestingly, primary, secondary and tertiary skills seem to match up quite well, rank for rank, across different guilds. This is mostly anecdotal and speculative, of course. Interested to know the real numbers, though.

Now... I'm not saying I'd love to have more skills for the sake of TDPs. More useful armor skills would certainly be nice, though. I love the defending skill, for instance, but there can only be one defending skill.
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/28/2014 03:15 PM CDT
<<Now... I'm not saying I'd love to have more skills for the sake of TDPs. More useful armor skills would certainly be nice, though. I love the defending skill, for instance, but there can only be one defending skill.>>

I wasn't here when 'defending' became a skill. My understanding is that it took the place of 'muli-opponent', correct?

If so, why not an 'armor mastery' skill along the lines of 'melee mastery' and 'missile mastery'?

--Just a Squire
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/28/2014 04:33 PM CDT
Armor Mastery as a skill makes a whole lot of sense when one considers that underneath of leather armor is cloth padding, and underneath of chain armor (in most real-world cases) is leather, and underneath plate there is generally chain.

Wear one type of armor and you're essentially learning a bit about all types of armor.
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/28/2014 04:35 PM CDT
That's from a real-world historical perspective on armor, by the way. My history isn't perfect, so if I'm wrong please inform us.
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/30/2014 03:11 PM CDT
>I wasn't here when 'defending' became a skill. My understanding is that it took the place of 'muli-opponent', correct?

I also like that defending governs bonus stance points based on skill set placement (point per 50 for primaries, per 60 for secondaries and per 70 for tertiaries). It's way better than bonus points based somewhat arbitrarily on guild (like armor hindrance) and circle.

>If so, why not an 'armor mastery' skill along the lines of 'melee mastery' and 'missile mastery'?

I love this idea. The only obstacle I can see is it might be tough to balance the exp for such a skill if it were learned passively like other armors unless armor exp awarded goes down for multi-armor setups to make it a little more like training weapons.

Armor mastery would actually be really great for armor tertiary guilds. It may not seem like it, but armor ranks play a big role in combat now. One warmie comes to mind who pretty much has to wear brigandine over chain in CvC despite it being a relatively poor armor option for warmies. He has to wear brig because of a ~400 rank skill discrepancy between heavy armors and lighter armors.

I'd really love it if mastery skills were part of a feat system that awarded slots based on skill set placement, like the defending-stance point relationship, that could be used to add properties when using the things they govern. For example, you could add bonus stun chance when using SB, LB or 2HB, or you could add bonus crit damage to small edged weapons to make them more effective against heavy armor. You could use a missile feat slot to bonus thrown accuracy, reduce crit miss chance, etc. Armor mastery feats, might allow us to add crit chance reduction when wearing full plate or reduce the duration of naphtha flames on light armor, shield slam with arm-worn shields, balance bonus in a specific armor, etc.

I wish magic worked that way, too; in other words, that feat slots were something separate from spell slots awarded through primary magic skill based on skill set. I think it adds a more clear and tangible benefit to these these skills than just "helps with spell casting" or "helps with back training," which doesn't sound terribly exciting from a player perspective.
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/30/2014 04:15 PM CDT
<<I love this idea. The only obstacle I can see is it might be tough to balance the exp for such a skill if it were learned passively like other armors unless armor exp awarded goes down for multi-armor setups to make it a little more like training weapons.>>

I actually see it the other way around. The more armor types you wear, the better you learn armor mastery. I don't think it would make sense to learn more 'mastery' from mastering fewer armors...

Interesting ideas all around.

--Just a Squire
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/30/2014 04:42 PM CDT
You're right. It makes sense you'd have to train multiple armors to best train armor mastery like weapons and weapon mastery. What I mean is if the fact that all armors can be trained at once is an issue, then adding another armor skill one can "passively" train by just standing in combat might not be desirable. If that's the case, I wouldn't mind going back to more active forms of training like greave swapping in order to have an armor mastery skill that does something.
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/30/2014 05:24 PM CDT
Hrmm, what about if there were an active component to the use of armor? For example, I'm wearing leather gloves so "punching" actually uses some leather skill. I'm wearing brigandine greaves, so kicking uses some brigandine skill. Chain helm --> headbutt uses some chain mastery. Elbow, wearing plate --> plate skill. The more I actively mix these up, the more experience gets put into the armor mastery skill.

Just a very rudimentary idea.

--Just a Squire
Re: Paladin Armor Training: Armor Swapping vs a Multi-Suit 05/31/2014 01:26 AM CDT

My defensive combat maneuvers idea might combine well with this- its active, anyway.