Armor Training 09/17/2012 09:44 AM CDT

I'm starting up a Paladin and have a question on multiple armor training. As you move up in the critter ladder, do you all find it's more managable to wear 2 armor types and keep them locked or do you have to wear a complete set of one armor type and constantly switch them out? Also, what's a pretty feasible amount of armors to keep moving 4-5 types?
Re: Armor Training 09/17/2012 02:12 PM CDT
I usually train two armors without any problems and sometimes trade my greaves out for a third when light plate locks. Keeping HP for torso and arms and the rest in LP has kept the two skills within a few ranks of each other for quite a long time now.
Re: Armor Training 09/17/2012 05:34 PM CDT
>I'm starting up a Paladin and have a question on multiple armor training. As you move up in the critter ladder, do you all find it's more managable to wear 2 armor types and keep them locked or do you have to wear a complete set of one armor type and constantly switch them out? Also, what's a pretty feasible amount of armors to keep moving 4-5 types?

I've read others (Madigan?) offer the excellent suggestion of using metal armors for the torso, limbs, hand and head armor, and switching out leg armor during combat for multi-armor training (makes it easy to keep a higher mind state on everything). However, I chose the suboptimal lazy approach, HP torso armor and accessories for the rest. I'm content with merely keeping them all moving, even if not at an optimal pace. Because I'm in combat so often, there isn't a significant gap between my armors despite my lackluster method of training. That said, repairing so many accessory pieces is a pain, and training this way may become more of an issue late game.

All of your armor:

a gleaming silver tower shield embossed with a set of golden scales
a pair of thick goggles with a white cotton rim (cloth eyes)
a scratched lumium heavy plate fauld (HP abdomen)
a dull bronze heavy backplate (HP back)
an engraved electrum-plated heavy breastplate (HP chest)
a pockmarked copper chain aventail (LC neck)
some plate greaves (LP legs)
some mail vambraces (HC arms)
a dull silver-plated ring cap (LC head)
some coarse shalswar-hide gloves (leather hands)

For reference, this is after about 15 minutes in warklins/maulers (attacking, not dancing):

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
Shield Usage: 578 69% nearly locked (33/34) Leather Armor: 435 45% dabbling (1/34)
Light Chain: 489 07% dabbling (1/34) Heavy Chain: 493 53% dabbling (1/34)
Light Plate: 510 89% intrigued (16/34) Heavy Plate: 530 25% analyzing (18/34)
Cloth Armor: 307 49% dabbling (1/34)

In the past, if I was taking grazing strikes, I could lock (or get close to locking) everything but it's my understanding that later on, since a single hit pretty much spells death, one can't count on the grazing strikes.

Quick note: I started cloth much later than the rest. That's why there's a significant gap there.
Re: Armor Training 09/18/2012 05:42 AM CDT
I also use the less optimal way of armor training.

Wearing a HP helm, LP Lorica, HC Sleeves and Bone Greaves, using that combination i have managed to keep
all the relevant armor groups moving and staying close together.

Shield has managed to leap about 60 ranks ahead though.

I used to carry some LC, Leather and Cloth greaves, but when they announced the combinations i decided to cease doing that.

Words Words Words .. in the end thats all it is
Re: Armor Training 09/18/2012 04:10 PM CDT
I trained multiple armors by swapping leg armors (high percentage for exp gain, and low risk of death) until around 500 or so in each armor. Then, I started swapping full sets of armor except head armor (which I have always left as HP).

Adakin was probably the best armor trainer around and both sets of advice started with him. Served me well while I played.

Madigan
Re: Armor Training 09/20/2012 11:16 AM CDT

I wear hc helm, hp half plate, hc gloves hc greaves , swap body armory and shield is always worn. Fairly light and just works out better. Currently 1100 shield 1000 hp and hc and over 500 in all other armors.
Re: Armor Training 09/20/2012 11:18 AM CDT
<<Adakin was probably the best armor trainer around.>>

My feelings are hurt Brah.
Re: Armor Training 09/20/2012 08:26 PM CDT
<<Adakin was probably the best armor trainer around.>>

<<My feelings are hurt Brah.>>

Me too, even though I am in TF.

For the record, I wear HP body armor, and swap greaves. I always have shield stance at 100 and evasion at ~25.
Re: Armor Training 09/21/2012 08:44 AM CDT
Hmm, all HP armor and greave swapping is enough to actually keep multiple armors moving? How many armor types do you find you're capable of keeping above 3/34 as you swap them out?
Re: Armor Training 09/21/2012 09:19 AM CDT
Yea, when I was doing it it worked fine. Maybe throw on an HC helm so you only have to do the other ones.
Re: Armor Training 09/21/2012 01:22 PM CDT

I use half plate, LP head/hands and swap greaves/pants for the rest. Only one armor is currently under 500 and that's because it was the last one I picked up (cloth.) Honestly, depending on how long I end up hunting, I've had all 8 armors locked doing this while I train other weapons/TM.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Armor Training 09/21/2012 01:56 PM CDT
<<My feelings are hurt Brah.

Ohh, plenty of people can get put in the category..so no offense intended.

Madigan
Re: Armor Training 09/23/2012 10:27 AM CDT
<<For the record, I wear HP body armor, and swap greaves. I always have shield stance at 100 and evasion at ~25.

+1 this

Khohan
Re: Armor Training 09/25/2012 08:29 AM CDT
I swap body pieces - greaves have always been un-necessary seeing as how getting hit is doing it wrong. Personally, I wouldn't swap greaves anyways - extra hindrance is always bad esp considering that I have no trouble with my current rate of learning whatsoever and that I'm a barb. Keeping hindrance at a manageable ~6% through swapping is what allowed me to streamline armor training.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."