Weapon Setup 02/10/2011 06:11 AM CST
Looking back, it seems the last discussion on what weapons to use took place about a year and a half ago. I didn't play then, and I figured with the upcoming skill combination people might have some new educated opinions. As it stands, I'm quickly finding out that I train too many weapons, as everything is outpacing them. In part, I don't really mind some things outpacing them like my defenses and my hiding/stalking, but it's going to get to the point where the only thing I'll be learning in combat is weapons as everything else will top out for a long long time.

My current weapons setup is HE/2HE/Halberd/Brawl/LX/LT/OH/HT/TM. I count TM just because it's a damaging skill and something I want to keep equal to my weapons as I train. Knowing what you know now, and considering the upcoming skill changes/combines, what would you drop? I'm having a hard time deciding.

2HE seems to be an excellent 2H choice in every respect (damage, balance, and suitedness, and there's plenty forged to choose from). HE I'd like to stay around, to keep a one-handed weapon that also has many excellent forged options. LX seems to be natural for a Paladin, and I've heard many good things about it, and it's getting combined with HX so that's great. Halberd is my 'flavor' choice, and it's getting combined with Pikes so more options there. Its probably outclassed by 2HE in most things, but for jousting and other purposes (everyone loves the Khuj) I'd like to keep it. Brawl seems like a good idea, HT is excellent and I imagine it will get even better with Bond Weapon, and TM seems to be one of those things that people wish they had trained at character gen upward, so I'm doing that.

That leaves LT and OH. LT I was training because of how ridiculous throwing blades seem to be. I keep seeing logs of fights ending with one throw of a stack of blades (you now have no limbs and are cloven in two), and offhand I was training in part due to how easily it trains with throwing blades, and on the off-chance a dual wielding system ever occured where a Paladin can swing a sword and maybe bash a shield in the same action. Any experienced persons see what they would change if they had gone with this setup?
Re: Weapon Setup 02/10/2011 08:04 AM CST
Well, FWIW I would recommend do what makes you have fun. For some people, that is a ton of weapons.

For me, here is what I train:

At level:
2HE, HE, HT, Halberd, and Brawling.

Close to Level (and working up):
LX, TM

Things I play around with, but consistently:
LT, HB and MB

So, there you go...ten weapons. Way too many I am sure. However, this process allows me also to get through all my armors and my magics during a hunting session. More importantly, it is what I like to do.

Madigan
Re: Weapon Setup 02/10/2011 10:49 AM CST
I usually recommend that people train a minimum of one edged weapon, one blunt weapon, and one ranged weapon for flexibility and access to all damage types.

Twohanded edged is currently a great weapon, but the awesome 2HE + heavy shield combo may be nerfed, so you should also keep training heavy edged.

I am currently training 2HE, HE, brawling, HB, HT, LE, MB, ME, offhand weapon, and pikes. I chose those weapons before the skill mergers were announced, so I'll "lose" two of those weapon skills.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Weapon Setup 02/10/2011 11:32 AM CST
>I am currently training 2HE, HE, brawling, HB, HT, LE, MB, ME, offhand weapon, and pikes. I chose those weapons before the skill mergers were announced, so I'll "lose" two of those weapon skills.

I only see one that you'll be "losing". ME and LE will be replaced by SE.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Weapon Setup 02/10/2011 04:08 PM CST
>>Danfords2: I only see one that you'll be "losing". ME and LE will be replaced by SE.

True. MB and LB will also be merged, but my LB isn't trained to the same level as MB.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!