Parry 07/26/2010 12:13 AM CDT
I'm fairly new and likely just don't understand completely, but it seems to me parry is kind of useless. Maybe my perception is wrong, but why when we can wear large shields on our arm do we even need to worry about parry?

My shield useage is my highest of any skill(167), and parry(119) is getting harder to train because what i can easily block, if i have 3-4 critters on me they seem to break my parry a lot if they teach anything decently.

Thoughts or suggestions?
Re: Parry 07/26/2010 08:47 AM CDT
My thoughts:

1. Parry is in a secondary skillset (weapons) so train it because it is easy to train. Simply set your stance to parry and not block with your shield. For me, I also train brawling during this routine until parry locks.

2. Paladins have a chance to parry a ranged shot if you are within range of your parry weapon. Pretty useless "feat" right now because of retreat|retreat, but may become valuable at some point.

3. Parry is actually pretty awesome if you have a well balanced weapon.

Madigan
Re: Parry 07/26/2010 08:50 AM CDT
SR is your friend. Parry becomes easier to train and survive once your MO for a given creature improves. Also, You can learn parry with HoW up while you are attacking, use your custom stance for when HoW is active.

In addition to SR, MaF and DA are awesome for reducing damage.

BAILOUTS
From each according to his ability, to each according to his lack thereof.
Re: Parry 07/26/2010 09:28 AM CDT
For myself, I find Parry starts pretty weaksause, but gets better after the 150-200 range. Additionally, find a critter you can dance with and parry safely with the engagement cap and you can learn some off weapons while you get parry going. Typically I can lock 3-4 weapons without swinging once if I'm patient.

One thing that can truly take the sting out of working Parry is making sure you've got your defensive spells up (HoW, DA, SR), and once you've got the core spells Manifest Force is just excellent for Paladins. Damage redux ties in nicely with our defensive skillsets and buffs.

Short version - Keep working it, it gets better, and provides a little extra cushion once you get going and have HoW up.

Samsaren Remlane
Re: Parry 07/26/2010 02:21 PM CDT
ok thanks, I wasn't sure if I was just missing something or not, to train it effectively for me I usually have to try and maintain 2-3 critters so i don't get thumped too bad.
I try to hang around crossing since thats where a lot of my friends hang out but the hunting critters that swarm and seem to train the best are getting scarce, but I'm still figuring some combat things out.

Thanks again!
Re: Parry 07/26/2010 02:39 PM CDT
Oh, and as far as what I'm using to parry I have a parrystick on my arm, crafted broadsword, and crafted claymore
Re: Parry 07/26/2010 04:34 PM CDT
I never used parry sticks, but I bet that broadsword has way better balance than a claymore which will help your parry ability.

BAILOUTS
From each according to his ability, to each according to his lack thereof.
Re: Parry 07/26/2010 06:43 PM CDT
For now at least, weapon ranks factor in pretty heavily as well. Don't try to parry with a weapon you don't have 'at level' skill in. It will hurt. A lot.

~Kattena

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Parry 07/26/2010 09:06 PM CDT
For whatever reason I thought I had to actually parry attacks to learn parry so.. i was stancing parry to 100 and lowering the rest. Needless to say, it started hurting relying almost completely on parry.. I don't know why I thought this because I knew evasion trained without having evasion set so high and usually never actually evading.

Thanks for the responses though, figuring that out made it easier to train by a lot instead of having to specifically stance for it
Re: Parry 07/27/2010 07:09 AM CDT
I generally aim for a critter that can land brushing/glancing hits, then a stance of:
You are now set to use your shield stance:

Attack : 100%
Evade : 100%
Parry : 4x%
Block : 100%

Will actually teach all the defences. Of course, I'm also lazy, hunt critters that can't hurt me buffless following a sweep, and stance dance. Both methods work, just find what you enjoy.

Samsaren
Re: Parry 07/27/2010 08:59 AM CDT
IMO, Slaris had the best answer. When you get a critter and start your defensive rotation just cast a max cast SR (whatever mana you can handle). Lock parry, then shield, then cast a max mana RW and start your attack rotation.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Parry 07/27/2010 10:38 AM CDT
Depending on the hunting area I would maintain at least 1 critter on me. Once parry/shield/evasion/armor are above 2/34ths, I would get my weapons moving to 2/34ths unless any of the defensive skills I listed dip below 3/34ths. Then lock defensive skills then lock offensive skills. Leave combat, forage some pretty flowers or something, then repeat.

Magus Paladin Adakin of Prime
WorldsBestMagic Kastr of TF

>cast
Your body already swells with the enhanced strength of a hero.

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: Parry 07/27/2010 11:23 AM CDT
My routine is a bit different in that I lock my main offenses first, then work on main defenses. Move to secondary training site and lock secondary weapons first, then secondary armors.

Then, I start my "non-combat" routine until main offense drops to 3/34. Rinse and repeat.

Madigan